1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Your thoughts on Child Spacing

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous in Parenting' started by Riyasmommy, Mar 23, 2009.

Child Spacing

1. I think siblings should be close together in age (18 mos. to 2 years)

7 vote(s)
    28.0%
  2. I think siblings should be spaced further apart (2 to 4 years)

13 vote(s)
    52.0%
  3. Totally depends on the temperament of the first child.

5 vote(s)
    20.0%
  1. sunitha

sunitha Gold IL'ite

My sons are 5 yrs and 3 mnths apart.Eldest is now 6 yrs and 7 mnths,youngest is 15.5 mnths to be exact.

I think it depends more on the parents especially the mom whether she can manage two kids who are very young say with just 1 yr or 2 yrs spacing.My sister and myself are just 1 yr and 3 mnths apart and we are very close so I too was under the impression that the spacing should be less for the kids to be close with each other.

But my opinions have changed a lot after my second one was born.Even with this spacing,they are very close.My eldest doesn't like us scolding or even getting angry with the youngest.He tells us that straight on our face.If we get angry with our eldest,the youngest gets very upset.They play all rough games together,throwing cushions at each other,tag etc that I feel like a minority in their midst being the only ' lady ' in the house!:crazy

One of the best things is that when my eldest was growing up,I was able to devote my full attention to him and now since he can do almost all things by himself,I can relax a bit and give full attention to the second one. Also, when we go out,I have to keep an eye only on my second one and see to it that he doesn't fall or wander anywhere.My first one can manage by himself and if I tell him to stay close to me,he will.I cannot imagine my state if both were too young,I would have personally gone mad:crazy.