Your suggestions please

Discussion in 'Travel' started by tanmayi, May 24, 2008.

1. tanmayi

tanmayi Bronze IL'ite

In Decemeber this month, my husband and I need to go to Pune, Hyderabad, Tirupati, Shirdi, Visakhapatnam and return to Delhi, taking my little one with me. She is 2.5year old now.

I have travelled with her once or tiwce in a train but have not taken her in a flight as of now. All the above sectors, we are planning to travel by air and finish the whole trip in 7-10 days time.

Can u please give some tips what all I should carry with me and what care should I take for my kid. Since the programme is confirmed I want to plan everything in advance so that my daughter will not have any problem in this hectic trip.

I want to mention here that my daughter stays with my mother due to some unavoidable reasons in the same city and I spend with her 2-3 days a week. While she does not have any problems in remaining with me during the day time, she misses her nanny (grand mother) during the sleeping time. I really need your tips on how I can take care of her during the trip. I am planning to take 7 days leave in advance,for this trip and bring her to our home to prepare her.

2. madhumathi1974

madhumathi1974 Bronze IL'ite

Hi Tanmaye,

iam madhu iam married with two kids. i think i can give u some tips which i had followed when i used to travell from delhi to hyd it was 26 hours journey so it was a bit hard.because i stayed in delhi and we r hyderabadees.
    1. as u said u r takeing leave to get her habbited to u, first find out her likes and dislikes, food habits which she prefer and she likes very much.

2.just dont' cut her off from ur mother at a time, tell ur mother to have a short visits in between so that she will not miss her much and feel bad, tell her some bedtime stories, and sing some songs because at this time they have great grasping power which we can set at this age.some times she will sing with u too, change her consentration from her granny to other things as songs , dance, drawing etc.

3. give her complete attention so that she understands u and get free to u. because this is the age they get impressions on persons.

4.pls carry some small toys for her to journey which she prefers like soft toys etc.

5.carry some food drinks like pediasure which u can give her anytime in cold watermixed it is an substitute to food.

6. keep some snaks are some fruitcakes for her.

7. consult some pediatic and ask him to suggest some important medicines should b carried. i used to carry colpol syrup, then for home sickness one syrup, motions syrup, some cotton, detol, betadin ointment, bandaids, vicksvapourub, cough n cold syrup.
    8.pls carry warm clothes as much as u can because she is too young so she dirty them.
    9. dont give her orange, and lemon contents juices in travelling and pls use mineral water, so that she will not get any cold and throat infections.

hope these will help u, takecare and have great and safe journey.

sindmani likes this.
  3. tanmayi

tanmayi Bronze IL'ite

Thanks Madhu. I am tensed though I have full 6 months in my hand for this trip. I will folllow all your suggestions.

4. Varloo

Varloo Gold IL'ite

Hi,
    I shall give you tip which I found very useful. I used to work for a while when my son was a baby. Then my husband used to cover my son with the nightly I was wearing so that he will feel secure with my body smell on the dress. You could also carry one of your mother's used dress so that your baby will fee at peace during night time.
    And do carry the toys which she loves most. Don't worry, children adapt well.

5. rajmiarun

rajmiarun Gold IL'ite

That is a real good idea Varloo. Infact I have known people wanting the smell of their beloved ones even after they grow much older. I have an example in my own house. The person is very much older now and still he wants the old saree of his grandma. So I could assure that it is one of the best way to pacify a kid.

Last edited: May 24, 2008
  6. tanmayi

tanmayi Bronze IL'ite

Thanks Varloo,

this is brilliant. I am making a checklist with all the suggestions that are coming up here so that I won't forget any of these. I would really want to make it a memorable trip.

7. lifeisbeautiful

lifeisbeautiful New IL'ite

Food, water, medicines are a must - also handy change of clothes & yes, priming the child for a few days is a must - but always slowly

8. orion80

orion80 Platinum IL'ite

Good suggestions from ILites..

One more addition from my side is take few packs of tetrapack milk with you. This milk stays good for about 15days without refrigeration.

When we went to shirdi, we took few packs of this milk, an electric rice cooker and some roasted and coarsely ground rice + dal. We used to buy curd, vegetables and fruits and prepare rice + dal + vegetables in the cooker for my daughter. She was 1.5years old at the time of our journey and we were afraid to feed her outside food. We also used to boil the tetra pack milk and give it to her.

Hope this helps