1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Your opinions plz - moving to US with a toddler

Discussion in 'Toddlers' started by purbamrc, May 3, 2010.

1. purbamrc

purbamrc New IL'ite

Hi moms,
    Although I hardly post, I love this forum for your valuable comments/opinions.
    Please let me know your thoughts regarding my dilemma :?:
    First, let me give a brief background -
    Me and my husband lived in the US for 6 yrs. (both on H1) and then moved back to India 3 yrs. ago. We had a baby after moving back who is now 1 yr 8 months old.
    We both work in the IT and now my husband has an offer to move back to the US again on a long-term stint.
    While the offer has some positives, I am extremely worried about how my son will cope with this change. He is very social already and loves playing with other kids. Although he does not go to a playschool as yet, there is plenty of interaction with the neighbourhood kids. Also, he really enjoys the time he gets to spend with our families. From what I have experienced before, I am afraid that he will feel quite lonely and not sure what to expect (we are going to Greenville, SC - so not a lot of Indians like NY or NJ where u get plenty of familier people to mix around with) at least for the initial months.
    Has anybody had any experience like this? How long does it take for the kids to adjust? Even when he starts going to playschools, etc. will language be an issue?
    Does this seem like a good idea at all?
    Plz help ladies!!

2. payalpyne

payalpyne New IL'ite

hi purba,

i do understand your concern but i can assure you that toddlers are very flexible..initially he might have problem in adjusting but with time it won't be very difficult for him to adjust..once you come to USA try to be friends with you neighbours...and look for a good daycare....my toddler is 26 months old..she was shy and hardly used to interact with anyone...but i've recently put her into a school prog. for toddler and she throughly enjoys it.

3. purbamrc

purbamrc New IL'ite

Hi Payal,
    Thank you for giving me the confidence!:thumbsup We are looking to move in the last quarter of this year so I am hoping that my son will be a little more vocal and communicable at that time so that we can prepare him for the change better.
    Good for you that your daughter is liking the programme. Must have taken a real load off your mind :)

4. Pavarun

Pavarun Silver IL'ite

Purba, I do not have any personal experiences with this but I think at this age they will get adjusted easily. Plus you all get to stay as a family, which is a big pro in my opinion. At close to 2, many littles ones are just beginning to talk, so language may not be that much of an issue. Additionally, most daycare centers do not follow a very structured routine for two year olds - it will be some activities plus a lot of free play time. Regarding socialization, you can control and influence how much she socializes by taking her to activities etc, so I would say give it a try.

If you know where you are going to be moving to, start researching the place, find out things to go and daycare centers/other options etc. Good luck on your move.