1. U.S. Elementary Education : What Parents Need to Know
    Dismiss Notice

Your opinions plz - moving to US with a toddler

Discussion in 'General Discussions - USA & Canada' started by purbamrc, May 3, 2010.

1. purbamrc

purbamrc New IL'ite

Hi ladies,
    First, let me give a brief background -
    Me and my husband lived in the US for 6 yrs. (both on H1) and then moved back to India 3 yrs. ago. We had a baby after moving back who is now 1 yr 8 months old.
    We both work in the IT and now my husband has an offer to move back to the US again on a long-term stint.
    While the offer has some positives, I am worried about a couple of points -
    Firstly, my son is extremely social already and loves playing with other kids. Although he does not go to a playschool as yet, there is plenty of interaction with the neighbourhood kids. Also, he really enjoys the time he gets to spend with our families. From what I have experienced before, I am afraid that he will feel quite lonely and not sure what to expect (we are going to Greenville, SC - so not a lot of Indians like NY or NJ where u get plenty of familier people to mix around with) at least for the initial months.
    Has anybody had any experience like this? How long does it take for the kids to adjust?
    Secondly, I have to quit my current job and will be on an L2 visa this time. Can anybody give me a realistic picture of how difficult it is to get a job (either full-time or contract) in IT after getting the EAD?
    Please feel free to pour in your thoughts/opinions.
    Thank you for your help.

2. anahitaa

anahitaa New IL'ite

Hi,
    It actually is difficult to leave your native country and go abroad, specially if you are with a toddler. The culture of US is so different from that of India.I am not sure about how difficult it a job there, but being an Indian and having faced the same problem I have a suggestion. When I was there I had to call my mom every now and then to ask something or the other on childcare.This resulted in long telephone bills,an added burden.So now I have come across PCO4NRI, a virtual calling card which helped me manage my expenses.It is designed exactly the way Indians would want their calling service to be.
    All the best!!

3. navs23

navs23 Platinum IL'ite

Just my 2 cents. To reduce the phone bills, vonage is a good choice. They provide all time free calls to India(on a monthly payment of $20 odd), which works out great if you call India a lot.
    I think it is easier to get a job with an EAD, it might take a few months depending on your location, but what I noticed was that companies were more open to hiring someone with an EAD. The renewal process was easy as well(resubmit all the required proofs and renewal is much quicker than the first application).

4. purbamrc

purbamrc New IL'ite

Thank you! Really appreciate the tip about calling to India.
    Also, thanks for reassuring me about getting a job. I plan to take an easy start after my son feels a bit settled in, so will start looking for jobs maybe after 4/5 months after the move. Also, I will love to take up part-time or work from home options even if the pay is much less till my son is well into kindergarten.