1. U.S. Elementary Education : What Parents Need to Know
    Dismiss Notice

Your First Day in America

Discussion in 'General Discussions - USA & Canada' started by medharaghav, Jun 30, 2009.

1. medharaghav

medharaghav New IL'ite

Hi Uma

It is my pleasure that your like my thread.. i fully agree with your point about F1,, once upon a time even i was planning to come here for study but later on when i was staying all alone in new city that time i realized how lonely one feels.. the kind of family background i come from .. i dont go to parties or pub for socialization so it was horrible to stay alone ..

same thing is happening with my DH.. all alone.. just home and work..

this kind of experience actually made me feel that i am married.. i have a home of my own . a place who needs me.. so i can no longer be my parents pampered girl..:coffee

please share how u adjust initially..

Regards
    Medha

2. medharaghav

medharaghav New IL'ite

Hi Pandu

You wont believe today i had asked the same question to my mom. i said how one passes their time at home when husband is busy in office.. ?

Since you have made friend i am sure you might be blessed with a smile and pleasant personality.. lets c what i will be doing when my turns come.. do write us more..

Regards:coffee
    Medha

3. Drpreethis

Drpreethis Gold IL'ite

Nice thread !

I came here on a cold winter night in 2008.. Actually, winter was supposed to be at its tail end when I landed in Feb. But unfortunately for me, it was COLDDD ! Coming from Bangalore, my friends said I would be able to
    ' adjust ' !! :spin

I landed at 8 pm and was soo excited as my hubby had last told me when I left London early that day that he couldnt wait to see me ! He even told me to request the pilot to drive the plane the fastest he could ! Funny man :bonk So here I was running my way to the exit after immigration and series of Qs as to what is rasam powder and the sweets i bought ( My mommy was not too sure wether daughter dear could cook well.. so she made sure I had easy cooking atleast for a few days :) ! Now she takes recipes from me ! :thumbsup ) and the moment I saw my hubby was all in tears.. He hugged and we went to the airport exit.. This man gave me a coat and I said I have a sweater.. :spin I said I shall wear it when I ' really ' feel cold ! Call it stupidity !

I still remember the way I ran back inside as soon as my first step was out ! My hubby laughed at my face ! He said - I told you ! I still feel the chill ! Wondered how can a place be this cold ? I thought Blre was enough ! I was jittering respite the coat and ran to the car.. cursing him for parking it that far ! :rant I was shivering soo much and couldnt relax even when he switched on the heater !

Was soo excited to get into MY HOME ! Lovely simple dinner was all ready at home cooked by him and we smiled at each other as we got in ! Celebrating love and the beginning of living with each other ! :)

Last edited: Jul 16, 2009
  4. medharaghav

medharaghav New IL'ite

Hi Deepthi

I am happy that you liked my thread..:cheers
    You writing style is very nice.. when i was reading your post i can easily imagine how things might have happened that time.. I was in Bangalore for 2 years.. infact Bangalore's chill winter is nothing when come to "Delhi Ki Sardi"...

Nice to know that you are blessed with caring family... some gestures from our husband's side do wonders for us...

love to learn more from your experiences..

Regards
    Medha:coffee

5. medharaghav

medharaghav New IL'ite

Hi Friends..
    Almost 3 months ago .. to be precise 90 days ago i started my thread ' Your first day in America'.. that time i was nervous, excited , curious .. to be short i was full of emotions and dreams. Thanks to all of you.. You experience had really helped me..

I am feeling very happy to share my first in America which had happened on 6th September 2009.

For more than a month we all were busy in packing.. well this includes my Inlaws as well. just 3 days before my departure i was down with Viral fever and since that time swine flu was every where , the authority were doing strict checking at the airport .One sneezing , a little of Ahoocoo and you will be restricted at the Airport.
    I was not sure how i will travel for so long.. but yeah finally made it to the airport and eventually to the International Airport..
    After traveling for 30 hours with my DH we landed at Charlotte Airport around 12;30 in night and that time the airport was closed and they took more then 30 mins to get our stuff .. some how again we managed to the cab stand..

Through out my journey to my home i did not find anything different at all.. for me everything was just like India only.. somewhere around 2 we reached home .. when i opened the door of my house . my eyes were full of tears.. i felt finally again i have a "HOME" of my own , where once again i will blossom lots of memories.. I went to kitchen open the doors and drawers to see what is there in store.. because we are stricet veggi we were almost starved.. without even washing my face i turn on the gas and started cooking Rice and Toor dal.. that was the best dinner i ever had.. i still can not forget his emotions when he had eaten my cooked food in his kitchen...
    around 6 in morning his friend came took us to the local store bought some grocery and then we planned to go to local Indian festival.. it was altogether loaded with fun and excitment.. To be frank with all my friends i did not find anything different or unusal on my first day but yeah as days moved on , new experience unfolded..

So finally I am in that place whose picture i used to google ...

Love to all
    medha

6. medharaghav

medharaghav New IL'ite

7. radsahana

radsahana Silver IL'ite

hi medha

I came to US same day u came, but i landed in Newark International Airport, with 2 kids, one 6 year old and 1 naughty 3 year old boy.

I came by British Airway flight, which had 1 hr halt in "Heathrow" airport, which was suppose to land at 6.30 pm, and my connecting flight from Londont to "newark was around 7.30 pm.

When i got in Mumbai Airpot, i asked the airhostess, how long it will take for me to go to the other terminal and whehter 1 hr is ok, she said the "Heathrow" airport is very big, and she is not sure.

So started my anxiety, i asked them does they provide any bus serice she siad know, i was wondering how i am going to manage with 2 kids.

I started seeing indian faces in the flight, and was thinking somebody must be taking connecting flight to Newark, but i couldnt find anyone.

And my worst fear came true, the flight was delayed by 15 minutes in "Heaththrow".

I had one laptop bag, one trolly bag, handbag and 2 kids, god what i am going to do, i was just wondering, so beofre the flight was going to land, i was ready with kids, bags to rush, out first, saying pls le tme go, i have to catch Newark flight, then one Aunty aruodn 55, she was behind, me, she said she too is goint to Newark.

Gosh i got releived, somewhat, but then the time was less the distance was long to go to other terminal, but she like a good samaritan, took my laptpop bag, she wanted guidance how to go, i needed someone to hold my things, so we all started just running, my daugther who is 6 yeras old was dragging the trolley and runnign with me.

First we went upstair one escalator then down, then hae to take one train, then up again one escalator then security checking. Here they stopped me becoz,by mistake my son put one water bottle inside the backpack, then again througuthly checked my bag everything, i thoguht now i msised my flight, meanwhile i said to aunty u pls go ahead, but she waited for me,

AGain, after that we started running, down one lift, they have almost closed the gate, we dashed towards the gate, and they took us in bus to our flight.

Finally we made it.

I got a great experience of life, "never ever travel with 1 hr transit flight, even if you are adults and without kids"

So finally when i landed in Newark, i am totally exhausted, it was night 12 pm, i just remember coming in car, my DHs friends came with him to pick us up, within 30 min we reach home, and after that i remember just sleeping soon.

love

8. scorpiogal

scorpiogal Senior IL'ite

9. Jhilmil

Jhilmil New IL'ite

This is quite long . Hope you all don't mind .

I came here 2 years ago on student visa. I was afraid of travelling alone abroad but thankfully one girl I knew had got admission to same university so we booked the same flights .

After reaching Charlotte , I was stopped for baggage check. They asked "do you have seeds in your bag ". I said no but still they started checking the bag . I thought they were shouting at me and I was scared (Now I know they were not shouting , it their style of speaking) . I kept thinking " let them remove whatever they want to ,but dont ask me to pay fine because I don't know how to pay fine in this country. " Finally they took out moong dal packet and asked me many questions about it. Aso they admired one of my dupatta in the bag , saying " this cloth is so beautiful "! . After coming out from there we went to the exit .We expected someone from the Univ to be standing with our name on a paper . All we saw was huge crowd and no Indians and many exits !After some time an Indian boy came to us and said " I am your senior. I have come to pick you "

When we reached the apartments , there were about 20 building all 2 storied , looking exactly the same. he took us to one apartment saying" you can stay here till you find a place of your own". There were 2 girls inside. They had landed in US the day before . The house was totally empty with only their suitcases inside. There was no food since they had moved in just few hours before. Then the senior said dont waste time come or the agent will go away , it was past evening already. We went downstairs to meet the agent who leased apartemnts in that area . Instantly we signed the lease for an apartment (We were so foolish!)! He said you need to give security deposit and first month rent right now. We didnt have that much cash , so he drove us to ATM and we withdrew cash. I remember putting $1500 cash in jeans pockt (not even wallet! )I would never do it now.

After the lease paperwork we came back home . Again there was the problem of no food ! We had some snacks and sweets in our suitcase and 1 ready-to-eat pav bhaji packet which we 5 girls shared . It was night time and we didnt know anythign about the area , so we were scared to even go out,forget looking for a restaurant . Since there was no furniture we slept on the carpet in living room and used jeans as pillows !

Same eating and sleeping pattern continued till we moved into our apartment.Then we bought groceries (discovered walmart ! ) and utensils and mattresses .And after one week , a tea - addict like me made her first tea in US (even took photo , I got so sentimental )

Thank you for this lovely thread .