1. U.S. Elementary Education : What Parents Need to Know
    Dismiss Notice

Your First Day in America

Discussion in 'General Discussions - USA & Canada' started by medharaghav, Jun 30, 2009.

1. medharaghav

medharaghav New IL'ite

Hi

I am coming to Charlotte in August with my Husband ,.. I am equally excited and nervous..
    I am curious to know how was the first day of all our friends when they came here for the first time.. please do share it with all. I am sure it will bring out lots of sweet old memories

Love
    Medha:cheers

2. sulaksuresh

sulaksuresh New IL'ite

Hi Medha

Welcome to Indusladies. Good to know that you are coming to US.

Hummmmm...for me the day i landed here was the Independence day ( July 4th ) . That was close to five years back...I came along with my husband after getting married. The first day I was so confused , was very tired due to travel, but found the place as so calm without any noise. It was really strange for a person like me who had been born and brought up in Chennai the whole life.

You have started a very good thread..i felt so good thinking about those good old sweet days. Thank you so much. Hope you will like being in the US. Have fun and enjoy the summer. Bon Voyage.

Sulakshana

3. scorpiogal

scorpiogal Senior IL'ite

Yes Nice Thread

The first day was oct 2002 and we arrived in SFO airport with my hubby and I was so scared the cars dirve so fast as it was 65 miles per hour in freeways .also we went to thehotel via el camino real which is like Mount road in chennai and my brother said it is a very busy bright street and i felt it was dark compared to the actual mount road of chennai :rotfland also didn't see any people and i was so relieved to see a saravan bhavan board .

The funny part was my DH didn't say anything about halloween and that was the day we moved to the new apartment and already I was scared to stay alone within fourwalls and due to jetlag I had good 3 hr nap and when I woke up it was dark and DH was not home yet so I just thought of going for a walk and was getting ready and someone knocked the door and i thought it was my DH and opened it and I saw this huge person (probabaly 7 feet ) dressed as dracula with bloody lips and saying trick or treat and I scared the hell out of him by screaming thinking him of a real ghost and he laughed and said he was scholl kid and was expecting a treat and then we became good friends after that :biglaughbut even if think of it I laugh and its my dh 'S FAVOURITE TEASING EVERYTIME

4. geetha mahesh

geetha mahesh Bronze IL'ite

I landed on june 20 2007 at 12.00 midnight.What a time to land!!!..went to a friends house and spent the night.It was exciting,confusing and everything was new..from having lived in India for more than two decades..hehe.

I had my first mosquito bite on the second day..:rant

5. medharaghav

medharaghav New IL'ite

Hi Sulakshana

Thank you for your warm welcome. I am happy that you liked my thread.

Your experience was very different and beautiful ... as my other friends have shared in this thread. I have learnt that my journey is going to be very long and indeed i am going to face a very different surroundings..

Infact i believe to preserve all the old good memories so that when you look back you learn how you have grown over the period..

WIsh you wonderful time ahead and keep a hope to learn more from your experience

Regards
    Medha

6. medharaghav

medharaghav New IL'ite

Hi

I like your honesty.. i have hardly come across anyone who is so open and innocent in their feelings..
    infact for us concepts like Hallowens are very new.. on one hand we are trying to adjust with the tiredness of long journey , home sickness . loneliness .
    It would be fun if the same person visit us on "HOLI" the colour festival of India..

Once again thanks for the post .. hope to learn more ..

Regards
    Medha

7. medharaghav

medharaghav New IL'ite

Mosquitoes in US???

8. reddyinusa

reddyinusa New IL'ite

Hi friends,

Medha,
    nice to c ur thread... its a wonderful topic..

If one is coming to US for the first time, first day is an unforgettable experience. First thing that comes to my notice as soon as I left the airport is the temperature(if it is winter), well built roads, curves(I still wonder y the exits are built so curvy), no smoke/dust(if u r born n brought up in metro cities in India). I was fascinated looking at the greenery around and dint know when I reach my apartment complex. I am habituated to looking at tall apartments(5-10 floors) in India and I expected the same here..but in my complex each bldg hs only 3 floors, but there are more than 20 such bldgs, all looking the same. I was thrilled looking but also worried that I might get lost if I step out of the door alone(I dint go out alone for 3 days for that sake :) ). Entering the apartment, the first weird thing I noticed is the carpet. I went around the house and my DH introduced me to all the new stuff like fire alarm, laundry+dryer, oven, dishwasher etc. I wondered how people here manage to live for years without spilling anything on the carpet. All rules like cook carefully without letting fire alarm buzz, no steel vessels in microwave, using the a/c, laundry and dishwasher were given by my dearest DH. thats it.. I felt I had enough.. We then went out for dinner as it was already 7pm..Later we roamed arnd a bit in SHOPPERS grocery store. As I was really tired and sleepy, we came back by 9 and I hit the bed... It was a hectic unforgettable day.

Hope u wd hv a safe journey..
    Aps

9. pandusk

pandusk Gold IL'ite

Hi Medha,

welcome to IL. I came yesterday :) and met my hubby after 7 long months after marriage, i was indeed very excited to see him though the journey was tooooo tiring and long, but it was worth it :).

Still to come out of the jetlag :spin.

BonVoyage and happy time to you.

Cheers!!!
    Pandu

10. geetha mahesh

geetha mahesh Bronze IL'ite

Hi Medharaghav,

Mosquitos are ubiquitous.US is no special for them.It does dance around when the weather is warm.As most of the months the temprs are extreme they do not trouble us I guess.US has a larger insect profile than our home country.The country is so vast and so sparsely populated hence they do not have enpough dirt to breed:thumbsup..so we escape their mighty bites!!..I always dream India having the vast land of US:crazy..
    I have even seen people spitting on the roads here but doesnt get magnified as very few people really use roads to walk and then spit!!!:crazy