Your first cooking experience?

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by Navpreet, Nov 26, 2007.

1. Padmini

Padmini IL Hall of Fame

dear all,
    nice thread. i do not know how i missed this!!
    when i was in my teens i never visited the kitchen. all cooking would e done by my beloved mom.i was busy with college routine. when one day she was out of station. though my dad and sisters told me not to try anything, i wanted to explore. i wantted to make "omam vedikkavitta morkuzhambu. for that we have to mix rice flour with buttermilk. without knowing this,i put,salt.omam and haldi directly in the buttermilk and kept it on the oven. Alas!!! in front of my eyes i saw the buttermilk getting spoilt. poor dad, he enjoyed itand praised me alot.:rotflBig Laugh
    with love
    pad.

2. joshila

joshila Bronze IL'ite

:rotfl:rotflIts a wonderful thread.....I guess everyone has a good funny story to say

I still remember my first experience with cooking ..its soooo afresh !!!
    It was way back in school where I did Nutrition , so had cooking then .We were usually given recipes, which were picked up in lots, as to who does what in the practicals. i got "potato soup", as soups were the first thing they wld teach us in cooking.
    So being an "enthupattani " , I wanted to impress my teacher the first class itself, so tried the recipe at home first. I had no clue abt how things worked like reducing the serving size, standardizing, etc. So the I made the recipe which serves for 10, that too potato soup Harharjus like how it was given in that book. Can u imagine their plight...even today those expressions stand before my face Big LaughThey all put a brave face saying that "its good". Just to make me happy .:D
    Even today my cousin wld narrate this story when hez served with soup anywherebonk abt how I tortured him with a potato soup
    Thou I've become more sensible & matured cook...still my first experience was the best :thumbsup

Last edited: Mar 9, 2009
  3. Asha25

Asha25 Senior IL'ite

Hmm my first cooking experience was a blender mishap when I was 9. My amma and baba were out and I was wanting to make banana shake. My amma had made for me all the time and I always watched so I figured its so easy and I see all the time,so I start to put all things in blender and the egg I dropped on the side but i think oh well no big deal. Well I didnt put the lid on the top and when I turned it on..Boom all came flying out and the egg on the side started to catch fire. I was so scared and unplug it. when amma came home she was laughing so much,and said how do you burn a banana shake,it doesnt even go on stove:lol:

Last edited: Mar 9, 2009
  4. gsaikripa

gsaikripa Gold IL'ite

I enjoyed ur post, my first cooking was rice, rasam & cabbage curry.
    1/4 kg cabbage cut panna ,we need 4 members & it would take 45 minutes to cut the vegetable .

5. saritaji

saritaji New IL'ite

Wonderful thread. LOL. Thanks for sharing your experiences. I remembered the time I was about eight years old. My parents had gone out for the afternoon. I decided to surprise them by making some sambar.

I actually followed all the steps and it came out alright. However, I made a small blunder which will be a family story for a long time.

Instead of adding asafoetida for that wonderful aroma, I mistakenly added some vanilla essence.

Imagine the laugh that my parents had. Nice tasting sambar with vanilla essence. They had a nice story for our family and friends since then. !!!

6. Drpreethis

Drpreethis Gold IL'ite

Cute topic ..

The first time I tried my hand in cooking was when I was 7 years old.. My mommy used to make this choclate which I used to be nuts about ! I wanted to try it one day and used my playtime vessels for the same.. I pulled down an old heater which was at home.. and under my sister's supervision ( she was a big brat and pulled the heater from the rack in return for the new pencil box dad bought me ! ) .. She helped me switch it on but said she could do nothin to help if I got burned by the heater. But she will miss me if I die !! :) We did this all in my parents' absence ..

I made the choclate and actually forgot to add few ingredients.. But the dish turned out a super hit amongst everyone ( cousins and guests ) and mommy was soo proud of her little daughter !!! bonk

Till this date.. my friends simply love that choclate recipe of mine and now make it for their kids !!

7. vidhyaramkumar

vidhyaramkumar Senior IL'ite

I used to wonder how my mother cooks. My mom was working. we sisters wanted to surprise our mom by doing some kitchen work and one day we wanted to finish cooking before she comes not variety samayal. Just wanted to do Vendaikai poriyal. I was in 3rd and my sister was in 5th. We remember our mom saying wash nicely and cook. So padu jora we cut the vendaikai and put that in water. When we tried to take it out, we saw a big jelly coming along and got confused what to do. with a great effort we segregated the vegetable from the water. for nearly 1 hour the stickiness didnt go and we literally fought with it. Finally we won the war( after 1 1/2 hour) it came out moru morunnu very tasty.
    when our mom came home from work, we first didnt tell her how we made, she was so pleased to see the work we had finished. Slowly we released our story. My mom said for one vendaikai u have waster 1 1/2 hour gas that too in this shortage period. The beauty is she didnt scold us. She was very proud of us. Also she said from next time onwards if u want to do some thing, ask me upfront. Later i understood how precious the gas is. Even now we sisters will talk and laugh.

cheers
    vidhya

8. Bujji

Bujji Bronze IL'ite

Interesting and enjoyed the experiences :))

Dr.Preethi, that is cute by 7 year old sweety :))

I never cooked anything except making coffee, when I was with my mom.
    When the situation came, I have to eat only by my own cooking, I was really scared :spin

Actually, my uncle is the motivation for me. Once he visited me and said we are going to prepare veg pulao today. :eek:mg:, how can I make veg pulao, when am not even an expert in Veg cutting.

Then, he instructed me and we somehow made it and now am very confident with cooking that, nobody can die by eating my food ;)

9. Aabha

Aabha Silver IL'ite

hmmm........i remember mine good old dazzzz too:)
    i remember making chapatis.....
    my mom was not at home.....and my brother came back from college..
    he was feeling hungry...i convinced him that i can prepare nice chapaties...:thumbsup
    he stood beside me and started watcing my creation..i took some dough....made it a roll and started pressing it...but it comes out to be a certain unidenfied map...:spini was feeling likeDrowning
    i told him not too worry ...first chapati is always offered to cow...so next one will be for you....
    i took my next assignment but again same thing happens....suddenly he announced this must be for our dear dog.....and stared laughing:rotfl

10. limkabook

limkabook Bronze IL'ite

Navpreet...Thanks for starting such a sweet thread.

I didn't had much enthu for cooking before wedding. I started payattifying my culinary skills only after wedding. What my mom did few days before wedding, was she jotted down the basic recipes in a diary, so i can exactly follow the steps and make a mediocre meal. But for one dish - theeyal , she forgot to add the step of adding tamarind juice.Since DH loves Theeyal, one day i thought of cooking the delicious theeyal curry, but you know what happens if you don't put tamarind...It'll BITTER....When i told mom next day about the diaster(still not knowing what went wrong) , she was laughing saying that- You didn't know that(like i was martha stewart)?)...yes, she had a good laugh and shared with all my cousins and they too had a hearty laugh at my expense for quite some time.Big Laugh

Last edited: May 1, 2009