1. Would you like to join the IL team? See open jobs!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. What can you teach someone online? Tell us here!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. If someone taught you via skype, what would you want to learn? Tell us here!
    Dismiss Notice

Your first cooking experience?

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by Navpreet, Nov 26, 2007.

1. Navpreet

Navpreet Senior IL'ite

Hi to all the good-goody cooks,
    This idea came to my mind of starting a thread for sharing your first idiot cooking experience,means you had tried your best but it(food) was totally spoilt.I will tell you mine first:

I was in fifth standard and like every girl started initials of cooking like tea and rice(tea and rice are taken as intials in our families as they are easy to cook).I had seen my mother preparing rice many times,so one day i thught of preparing rice without her assistance to impress her.I boiled rice as it is usually done and then tragedy happened....................my sister(younger to me) she tried to stopped me but i didn't stop.I drained extra water from rice and put the boiled rice under tap.My sister stopped me"don't do this" but i said"shut up! you don't know anything.Mom! use to do so." when my mother saw firstly she laughed at me and then all of us have to eat those rice(my punishment to be shared by my brother and sister).Whenever i use to cook rice even now that incidents come in my mind and i just can't stop laughing at my stupidity.

Share your such stupid and laughable starting experience of cooking with me.

2. Anandchitra

Anandchitra IL Hall of Fame

Navpreet
    Thanks for sharing I enjoyed what you wrote. I too messed up rice when I first cooked. My first time cooking was rice, tea and rasam, messed all three. my father ate them and didnt say anything he was very sweet still i learnt to cook and now a very good cook says family!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

3. nyeturi

nyeturi New IL'ite

hi I njoyed ur posts, my first cooking is maggi noodles, when I was in 7th standard I cooked maggi noodles but I kept it on the stove with more water so it became like maggi paste payasam..............till now in my home everybody laugh about this.

4. Sumathy

Sumathy Senior IL'ite

Hi,

I could not help but smile looking at this thread remembering all of my and some other family members' cooking exploits. Surprisingly, it is not that you mess up the first time around - it ican happen any time! So, what i write is not exactly under this topic and excuse me for that.

A few years ago, I was baking some thing in the oven in a plastic container at 270 degrees centigrage - can you imagine that ? That too, I am a plastic technologist - was cursing myself and thanking that it did not result in any major disaster (except the spoilt container and some bad smell).

My grandmother once made coffee decoction using boost! And my cousin was using the instant coffee powder, Bru and trying to make decoction!

In my husbands first attempt to make dosas, it turned awful and we had to scrape the tawa for hours - he had just put the tawa in the gas and immediately poured the batter! And I cant forget the first time he cooked for me - he proudly presented a bowl of maggi noodles - I forced myself to give a smile and 'drank' some! It was some noodle strips floating here and there in water! Apparently he was copying the college mess recipe!

Cheers,

Sumathy

5. rajmiarun

rajmiarun Gold IL'ite

Dear all,
    Nice thread. Till marriage, I cooked very often and if I am entering the kitchen I would want to try out some new recipie that I have collected. But the most messy experience.....

I have written about this in my first experience as a bride thread too. It happened before marriage after the engagement. I offered to keep idly when my MIL and mother were talking (had been to my hubby's house with mom). I made everything ready, poured the batter in the plates and mounted it in the cooker also. But forgot to light the stove. bonkbonkbonk.

From then on I concentrate and finish off cooking in a jiffy. With great preparations the previous day, I am able to finish off the cooking within half an hour to 45 mins.

6. Nakshatraa

Nakshatraa Silver IL'ite

Hi,
    Gud thread.
    My first cooking experience was when I was 11 yrs old, my mom was not keeping well, so she asked me to make idllis . I had poured the batter on the idlli plate & kept the plates in the cooker.
    Thinking everything was fine, after 10 mins switched off the gas & & & opened the cooker :eek:mg:
    The water in the cooker was more than the last 2 idlli plates :crazy
    It was really a mess & our maid was having a hard time to clean :)

7. padija

padija Senior IL'ite

nice thread

let me share my first cooking exp. before marriage except coffee i never made anything except to get something to eat i will not go to kitchen , after marriage we came to US so no other go, on my second day in US my dh went to office so to surprise him i wanted to cook, so called mom got the recipe for sambar and somehow managed to cook, but when i tasted it didn't taste like sambar at all, as i was not feeling well, i thought may be b'cos of that it tastes different, my dh came home ate that said it's good so i thought wow ........next day when i told him i will cook he said no wait for me, he asked me how did i made sambar and i showed him the dal i used, he bursted our laughing i was like Witsendthen he told that the dal was not toordal it is valdal(whatever that is) it looked like toordal.Big Laugh. so after that first thing i did was to know what dal does what.........he still teases me whenever we go grocery shopping showing toordal.........and the best part is i never ate what i cooked on that day..........cos i was sick...Big Laugh

8. Nandshyam

Nandshyam IL Hall of Fame

Nice Thread...

We were dating then and I wanted to surprise him with aathu sapaadu. Obviously being the only daughter, I never stepped in kitchen before. So started writing down the meal, I can't call amma then, you see ;) I guess you might have now confirmed, how that "aathu sapadu" must have turned out that day.. Anyway.. I will tell my adventure :mrgreen:

Electric cooker was there, so making rice was not an issue.... atleast that's what I thought.. Very simple me thought. One cup rice, one cup water.. So 2 cups for us and so 2 cups of water Big Laugh.. you can imagine how that turned out.

Then planned to make very simple dish -I am very cautious you see, dont want to try sambhar or kulambhu .. I know it wasnt that great idea to do all those on the first day of my cooking. So decided would have pappu.. Padija.. don't worry, you have company :hide:. put channa dal in the cooker, but I don't know how I made that decision..but I did put 2 cups for this... Kept them in the stove and thinking all is going well, decided to make buttermilk and a simple beans/carrot curry.

Microwaved frozen beans and carrot and put tadka.. tasted it.. WOW.. patted myself.. it was edible :mrgreen:

Was surprised, there wasnt any whistle for dal yet.. it was 10 mins already.. so decided to switch it off and see..... when I went near, I could smell something.. Oh my ... my.. my.. electric cooker is roasted.. Big Laugh[remember I still was thinking dal would be ok...:crazy]

After whistle is gone, when I opened it, I knew this is not how dal shud look.. it was big big and kinda not normal.. but may be I am wrong ;) I thought.. so using a hand blender, mashed it.. tadka it and tasted it.. EWWW.. thats not how amma used to make pappu... its weird... I said..

Finally, wanted to give chennai touch.. so made buttermilk... in the blender, put 3-4 big spoons of readymade curd, salt, 3 green chillies, hing and mixed it nicely... Added 5 cups of water.. Now the final part.. tasting... :cry: I was literally crying because I had ground the green chillies instead of just adding them

Thus, was my first experience.. with no help whatsoever.. When he came.. he had a good laugh, hugged me and we went to dinner :mrgreen:

Now, I cook within 45 mins and really make some good dishes that he loves.. I bow to myself :bowdown:bowdown Nand engayoo poitee nee ;)

9. Oviya

Oviya Silver IL'ite

Mine...here you go...

I blessed with grandma, too. So, Amma and Patti used to take turns in cooking. I played a game when I got the chance.

As you can guess, they both were absent. I wanted to make dhal with moong dhal. Boiled the dhal. Cut onions. I knew that Mustard seeds and stuff like that must be there. Took everything.

Put everything in the container and boiled without even a drop of oil totally avoiding the seasoning part. My Thatha was like, 'Kanna, romba nalla irukku, da!'. I was on top of the world. When I ate I was almost crying out of the reserved appetite for the would-be delicious dhal, 'Thatha, you told that it was good'. He said again the samething.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2008
  10. geevee68

geevee68 Platinum IL'ite

Disaster is the term i would use for my 1st cooking experience.
    I had made tea for a couple of friends of mine; out of politeness they did not spit it out.I had used too much tea powder & boiled it like crazy which oi did not realize then!bonk
    These friends suffered an upset stomach the next day after consuming my "infamous tea".