Your Favourite and most lovable animal species on earth

Discussion in 'Pets and Animal Lovers' started by svrlax, Sep 4, 2008.

1. svrlax

svrlax Senior IL'ite

I get to see lots of animal lovers over here. Let me join hands with them and also request them to promote the though of safegaurding the Fauna and flora we are gifted with in this wonderful universe. Lets also promote the habit of vegan and vegetarian eating habits by the way.

Introducing the animal
    Now I would like to share the animal which is my favouite and the most lovable animal present in this universe atleast for me. Yes I have never touched this animal and also never been so near to this animal, I mean the nearest distance from which I saw was 30 meters away from the animal. I also bet I can live in the habitat it lives for long without any proper breathing support mechanism as I dont practice some wonderful breathing techniques it practices, though it breathes the same way I do.... Now my clues would have made people to guess what the animal I am speaking about . I bet few would have guessed right with the animal one among the dozen of options I have in mind. Yes I was talking about "DOLPHINS".

My longing for the animal:

I had a wish during my childhood to see it in its natural habital, but was nevfer sure that my dream will come true till I got my dream come true like a breeze flows. Thanks to the almighty for making many of my dreams come true in a similar way

My first/memorable meeting with the animal

I still remember the day it was in 1st October 2006 at Nelson bay in New South Wales, we went out as a group of around 22 people, where I was the last to join the outing just because I was said there is chance of seeing a Dolphin in the sea(Natural habitat). Fist few minutes of the dolphin search in the boat was one of the stressful momemnts of my life with being unsure whether my long time dream would come true. After being a nomad near the shore of nelson bay all the wait ended with fruitful results in spotting the mamal with its kid(I dont know the name of the kid of dolpin is called as, If anyone knows please enlighten me ) together. I was told that it is a "Common Dolphin". My happiness knew no bounds. Yes had a small unhappiness that I saw only two of them though heard that they live in groups called pods. They are considered also one of the most intelligent social and easily befriended animal. Now when one dream come true we need to dream more bigger thanthe previous one right. Now a days I dream of having a dolphin as my friend with me living in a sea front/ facing habitat(Yes I can have my home only in the Sea shore and not in the sea though my friends loves and lives there, Still I can go and meet him in his habitat)

Weird / wonderful information or fact about the animal

1. Whales And Dolphins Influence New Wind Turbine Design -
    Some of Dr Frank Fish (West Chester University) observations are already being applied to real life engineering problems, a concept known as biomimetics. The shape of whale flippers with one bumpy edge has inspired the creation of a completely novel design for wind turbine blades. This design has been shown to be more efficient and also quieter, but defies traditional engineering theories.
    "Engineers have previously tried to ensure steady flow patterns on rigid and simple lifting surfaces, such as wings. The lesson from biomimicry is that unsteady flow and complex shapes can increase lift, reduce drag and delay 'stall', a dramatic and abrupt loss of lift, beyond what existing engineered systems can accomplish," Dr Fish advises. "There are even possibilities that this technology could be applied to aeronautical designs such as helicopter blades in the future."
    The work centres on studies of vortices, tornado-shaped water formations that develop in the wake of the animals. "In the case of the humpback whale, vortices formed from tubercles (bumps) on the front edge of flippers help to generate more lift without the occurrence of stall, as well as enhancing manoeuvrability and agility," explains Dr Fish. "In the case of the tails of dolphins, vortices are formed at the end of the up and down strokes. These vortices are involved in the production of a jet in the wake of the dolphin that produces high thrust. By regulating the production of the vortices, the dolphin can maximize its efficiency while swimming."

Source : Hydrodynamic flow control in marine mammals -- Fish et al., 10.1093/icb/icn029 -- Integrative and Comparative Biology
    Science Daily: News & Articles in Science, Health, Environment & Technology

Yes now comes your turn, please fill in your feelings about your favourite, loveable and afffectionate animal in which ever format you would like to present it.

I have another story of me meeting another animal which I had wanted to meet for long and much more stories about dolphins I will come with them soon

Here with I have attached few .jpg of the photos took, when I met my lovable favourite animal

Attached Files:

2. malspie

malspie Platinum IL'ite

I love all animals, they look so cute!!

3. svrlax

svrlax Senior IL'ite

Yes I do fall in the same group, where I love all animals, but I have a few whom I feel the most loveable also to speak the truth one among them is the Dolphin. I would like to hear from you all about your the animal you feel is the most loveable.

4. Sriniketan

Sriniketan IL Hall of Fame

Laxmi,
    Nice of you to share one of your fav.animal..with pictures..

The answer to your question...Male dolphins are called --Bulls
    Female dolphins----------Cows
    Baby or kid dolphins.........Calves.

As Mals has pointed out, I love all animals, whenever I see or read about an animals, he/she becomes my favourite...

sriniketan

5. Varloo

Varloo Gold IL'ite

Hi,
    I too love dolphins and my drea in life is to spend some time with them at least once. I love animals alright and believe all is created for some reason. They too have the right to live on the earth like us humans.
    But my favourite is dolphin. It looks like it is smiling at us, don't you think so. I have no hope that I could realise my dream but anything can happen so I am keeping my fingers crossed.
    I love elephants too, they are also very loving giants. I have seen elephants on a daily basis at my home town, even calves. Recently, we went to Coorg in Karnataka for a holiday. There is an elephant camp there. We saw 2 female elephants and a calf being given a bath there. It was fun watching the young one playing with its mother and aunt and running here and there in the water.
    I also read somewhere that children with mental retardation are let to interact with dolphins to improve the brain activity and the results were amazing. Dolphins being friendly to man, the children had a good time which helped in improving their brain development.
    Also, I read somewhere that dolphins could be dangerous also, is it true?

6. svrlax

svrlax Senior IL'ite

Thanks Sriniketan for the kind words and the motivation by you to share more such thoughts.

Yes now I remember the guy who was employed in our trip to dolphin watching spelt the words "cows and Calves" for the Female(Mother ) Dolphin and the Kid Dolphin we saw. Thanks for sharing your knowledge and reminding me again some moments of my memorable part of life.

Thanks simply generous of you and Mals to be impartial to all the animals you get to read or meet or watch. I am a bit partial and have rated few animals according to my liking. Need to learn a lot form you all to enjoy and lengthen my list of animals I like the most. Will do them soon.

PS: Pardon for the late reply and will love to share more (What ever I know) on Dolphin assisted therapy as Varloo has rightly mentioned...
    Cheers,

Last edited: Sep 24, 2008
  7. svrlax

svrlax Senior IL'ite

Varloo I should thank you for bringing Dolphin assisted therapy to Lime light. I am also very happy that I could find another person who is also much inclined towards Dolphins. Elephants are also some animals I adore, they are "black and beautiful".
    But I started this thread to speak more about the animals we love the most in this universe and also to divert this discussions towards how good they are to human and how aoften we betray its goodness by reciprocating few ill deeds which drive them also at some moments to be bad towards us. Yes I clearly believe that we are the cause for them to reciprocate in worse ways as we drive their goodness towards a worse attitude and response towards us. I don’t know how much other ILites agree towards these statements of mine, but I would say this is my perception and thought I would like to share with you after few FB posts from you. But now Varloo FB made me come more in advance than, when I wanted to come with this thought to be shared and discussed among us(ILites). I appreciate varloo's capability in understanding my percetion and inner minds thought on the same and giving me the boldness to speak much before I would have got to do it , if she hasn't hinted about the DAT and asked whether it is dangerous. Thanks a zillion Varloo.
    Yes to tell about Dolphin Assisted Therapy( from now onwards let us call this as DAT) (http://www.dolphins-world.com/Dolphin_Assisted_Therapy.html ). All that started with Dr. David Nathanson publishing his thought and research papers to the world that Dolphin can help on treating children with Special needs and need a therapeutic approach to help then revive from disorders like Autism, speaking , mentally challenged, Down’s syndrome and children learned four times faster, and with greater retention, when they were rewarded with in water interaction with the dolphins.(Source : http://www.aquathought.com/idatra/symposium/95/nathason.html ) and few Dolphins also adapted easily and wanted to be with humans than their own species and there has been no proper reasons found for this behavior and these kind of dolphins who exhibit these characteristics are called as “Ambassador Dolphins” by researchers . Few research papers and info. on the same can also be found on the following links
    http://www.researchautism.net/interventionitem.ikml?print&ra=64&infolevel=4
    http://www.tamarabowman.com/dolphinassisted.pdf
    http://www.specialchild.com/archives/ia-023.html
    Few sample information on the programs are in detail in the following links
    http://www.waterplanetusa.com/programneeds_options.htm
    There also some Not for profit organizations involved in this DAT Dolphin Therapy Programs
    There are also few training centre’s in USA who train people(for a career in DAT-Dolphin Assisted therapy) to enable them to help children associate with dolphin and also enable dolphins to provide better results in the children. (Few among the training institutes are http://www.aquathought.com/index.html )
    Yes there were also few symposiums (one in the year 1995) that happened on this area for more details refer this link Dolphin Assisted Therapy 1995 Symposium - Index
    These DAT happen at few places in confined pools in Marine parks where dolphin are allowed to breed. elsewhere it happens in the wild. Now I hear people asking me that when this DAT happens in the wild how safe is it. But now let me ask you all, If we knew how these animals were captured, I don’t think they would want to swim with them in a tank or participate in DAT,</SPAN> during the dolphin drives hundreds of animals are killed, or panicked and die of heart attacks, in water that’s red with their blood, while trainers from facilities around the world pick out young animals for their marine parks. They hoist them out of the water, sometimes by their tail flukes, and take them away</SPAN>.
    The following paper speaks widely on the positive side of the DAT and also discusses on the risks involved in rare aggressive behavior when shown by Dolphins. Also compares DAT with other Animal assisted therapies
    http://yod2007.org/vnoffice/data/0/0/3/25/CAN%20YOU%20PUT%20YOUR%20FAITH%20IN%20DAT-5.pdf
    On the flip side of the flipper(Name of a Dolphin character in a movie) assisted therapy few people also have done research on the creditability of the treatment and ask for proofs and reject saying there is less fact attached to this form of therapy http://www.marineconnection.org/docs/DAT Paper 2007.pdf
    Lots of things are discussed in this link and they also have links to lot other sites in their related articles sections which broadly discusses on both sides of the coin of DAT - http://autismparents.net/dat-is-bs-dolphin-assisted-therapy/
    So now if you ask me after all the extensive discussion, I would ask that why for our benefit we are disturbing the Dolphins and restricting it from its normal and usual life. It’s just because some children have special needs due to their disabilities they are born with or acquired. Yes I do accept but why cant we spare more time and care and put more effort to train and coach them then we would rarely need some other animal to be trained by human beings. Even more it would be easy to train ourselves than we training an animal to replace us instead. We have lot to learn from animals like that I mentioned in the forum post before " Dolphins Influence New Wind Turbine Design". Also leave them to enjoy there life in their habitat

Last edited: Sep 24, 2008
  8. Varloo

Varloo Gold IL'ite

Dear SVRLax,
    I went thro your post. I will go to all the links you have provided, to know more about dolphins and related topics.
    Now to the main issue. I must congratulate you on your love of the animal. I always remember that there are 2 sides to a coin and wait to see the other side too. So I was happy to know about how dolphins are caught etc.
    And I bow to your love of the animal. Yes, we humans are selfish to the core. We believe and take it for granted that this world is created for us, to make us happy, help us cure our diseases and recreate us etc. We never give a damn about the other species which also live in this planet. we just abuse nature to the core and the result we are now facing in the name of global warming. even now, we have not started to repair the damage. I think we will learn only at the last minute.
    When I hear that dolphins are cought in a cruel way, well, I should think about capture. We have no right to disturb them in any way so that our children can be cured.
    But let me think about the unfortunate children with diseases and deformities which have no medicine or therapy in this world. Some of them suffer so much, (not only them but their parents more) that one wishes that there is something wecan do to help in in any way.
    My friend's niece was born in the 6th month of pregnancy and she is like Rani in 'Black', worse than that- she cannot move well also. That child is now 11 years old and the parents are completely broken after so much effort to help her. The child scraps the mother's forearms when she is irritated and it is a pity to see the lady's hand with such scratch marks. The child does not do anything at all, it is always edgy and difficult to handle even by the mother. The mother is on the verge of going insane- nobody could give her some time to be away from her child. She is constantly taking care of the child, husband helps when he is home. Thei life is a complete disaster, they have no other work than caring for that child. Can you imagine how frustrating that would be? I can, because my son was hyperactive and I have single handedly taken care of him, depriving myself of human company other than him and my husband and the visits to the hospital. It is easy to say but when one goes to such a phase, it is a great miracle that one does not become insane.
    During such times, our mind searches of some way to help such children. I wish something could be done so that the dolphins are not tortured and humans could also benefit.
    I shall come back after visiting the other sites you have suggested. Thank you very much for showing the other side too.

9. svrlax

svrlax Senior IL'ite

Varloo you are correct and also your replies brings me back to put forth lot more of my thoughts, I am not too old or mature enough to discuss on these matter, but still I am coming forward to put across my thoughts and views and they are never meant to hurt other feelings and are just to redefine my perception with the inputs from ILites on the topic.
    Yes, first of all I would like to disclose that I am not a professional Pediatric or Psychologist, but to the core let me ask you all a question on when children start to do something which we really don’t expect them to do it(May be mischievous, or any other naughty thing). I believe that, Its only when we start giving more attention to them when they really go wrong. (Few wise people say that children believe that parents often correct them because they (Children) are not okay and but parents are okay). This messy behavior may be often because they wanted you uninterrupted attention. First when the child is born and it does some cute and beautiful things and that too it’s our first born child or the only child we have. Then we find it interesting to us to see and we also appreciate and give our complete attention towards them, thus the child also enjoys the appreciation and the attention we give towards it and it longs for it from us. But suddenly in parents life we get lot more priorities and are blessed with little quality time to spend towards them. Is it true in most of our lives. Now the child brain has been programmed to receive more attention and appreciation which doesn’t happen because the priorities of the parents have changed. Now the child believes to achieve undivided attention we need to do something and the path they take to get that is to be mischievous. Yes this is also induced by we parents, we usually get to react more often when something goes wrong or something doesn’t go the way we wanted due to others actions. I mean we utilize few chances to appreciate people when things go the right way. We also expect things to be absolutely right to get a though in ourselves to appreciate people. Also this idealism and perfection is never motivated by us in others. This attitude we try to implement across the people around us and across all ages. This promotes mischievousness in children or induces few actions in children which is not a good or warranted/acceptable action we expect from them.
    When it is specially challenged children the first and the foremost difficult task to make them not to feel that they are handicapped and make them feel more they are challenged than they are handicapped. Then to guard them from the society who finds all chances to make a mockery on the challenged children. Few of the children are rebellious when others make mockery of them they try to exhibit that they are normal and sometimes end up hyper active on the flip side they get broken and dejected that why they alone should be born handicapped. Now if it was me with these children I would usually give them loads of confidence and tell them that they are gifted and they are children who are close to the god. When Jesus is portrayed as a Sheppard in most of them you will find a sheep in his shoulders where he carries it always. I would say he is giving importance to that sheep alone and not to the rest just because it is not a sheep which is born with usual abilities which every other sheep has in common. So it needs special attention. It needs special care and that to if it gets lost on the way it cannot trace its way to join back the flock. Similarly the children should be given a belief that they are gifted to be close to the lord. Se belief is the basic block and that grows to end up at the highest level called the perception. When you get programmed to have such a belief subsequently the upper layers which depends on beliefs also gets changed. Then you equip your child with a perception where he starts to wear a glass that he is OK and the others are not OK. Thus enables his perception in seeing things cannot changed.
    Now if the scars of mockery are deep and open wounded we need to involve ourselves in some more preliminary activity before changing their belief, that’s make them have a “Let go” or an “Ignore” attitude towards such reactions from the society. Then at some time later you should add on something to divert their attention towards which they are interested and get them to involve their mind towards some activity they would enjoy doing it they eventually start forgetting the environment which was passing negative signals. Thus when they are regularly coached to this and they subsequently get programmed to guide themselves to this a “Let go” or an “Ignore” attitude and then involve their mind in something they feel interesting. When you start counting you blessings you get a conducive environment for your wounds in your mind to heal. Now when they are programmed this way start accentuating the positive thought in their minds. It will for sure and easily break the shell and get into their mind and start changing their belief. But this needs more undivided attention and constant care and involvement to notice on what they feel good and what they feel bad and how they react.
    Now about the child you mentioned. It’s good that it has been gifted with one of the wonderful parents who are more caring and more inclined towards the child. I feel that the child is much blessed that many other normal children who get least time in this career oriented world to share and speak to their parents. Now if you ask me what I would do if I was in their position I would start keenly noticing the symptoms and traits of behavior she has just before getting irritated and act in hurting her mom. Now when I feel comfortable that I have captured some scenarios, I would end up analyzing the root cause of the scenarios which makes her behave that way. When I am half way through this analysis, I will paralelly start engaging her in different activities when she is in a happy or good mood like paying, reading stories for her and playing music, training her to handle some musical keyboard or instruments and not leaving her idle. Now is the most important part, when need to scale her involvement in any of these activities she enjoys doing and program our brains to be preemptive and proactive to understand what would be her response in different scenarios and when your instinct starts saying that she is going to respond in a way which is not good then immediately redirect her and divert her mind to a activity that she would enjoy doing and forgetting the worse part which she really wanted to do. Yes I too accept that this is a difficult and long process and it is very much easy to say or write here. But on long term if we do these efforts now some day we would end up programming their responses and even end up enabling them to live independently and do things the partial right way atleast. Also when you find them doing something right(Not needed that they do it completely right) start accentuating the positive and reward them, can be warm cuddle, clapping , greeting “good work”, saying “cheers”, giving an applause, gifting them, giving rewards like cooking them a favorite dish that night or on weekend. This is the perfect I believe you can do to bring up perfect citizens for our Mother land India and give our nation a bright future.

One among the things I hate most about our tradition is consanguineous marriages. its is marrying a person who is also from the same ancestral or descent origin, that is related by blood. It’s a guy marrying his aunt’s or uncle’s(Fathers sister or his mothers brother) daughter or a girl marrying her aunt’s or uncle’s(Father’s sister’s or his mother’s brother’s) son. Then your double helix (DNA) comes with loads of similar genes where the child gets the best of the best but alongside it gets also worst of the worst. These genes promote lots of deformities in many children they give birth to. I believe ILites would be widely aware of it and I don’t need to explain.
    The other thing that irritated me was the case in one of the courts(I am no way good in the topic of law, so if I am wrong on this please correct me) in India where they want to put restrictions on when a child can be aborted lawfully whether its is until 20 months or can it be relaxed until 24 months. In a country the basic facilities of scanning or awareness is not widely available and the ratio of the scan facilities per person are very low, you can call it even meager/scanty/inadequate. It’s more important that than there being a law when a child with deformities in the womb can be aborted to provide basic health monitoring facilities and also teaching or enlightening the masses with the awareness that is needed. Its never late for a healthy woman to give birth to another child by getting pregnant again than giving birth to a child which has its health related challenges which it had acquired much before its birth and to see the child suffer and also the parents bear the sufferings for themselves. For a male its never late if he has preserved his spermatozoa in a sperm bank.
    I have discussed something which is not to be discussed under this pets and animals lovers forum. So I give go green for the forum moderator to move this to some other appropriate forum if needed and also if needed change the name of the forum topic heading.
    This post has been written wit the thought towards " Lets make a better world for you and for me and rest of the universe", so please pardon me if it dosent serve the purpose

10. Varloo

Varloo Gold IL'ite

Hi,
    I too agree with you, you have deviated from the topic we were discussing- should we use the other animals to help humans. I would still say that we can use them, but not torture them, to help humans. I will reply to you thro PM about the other topic which you have expressed your views on.