1. Handy Kitchen Tips that You cannot Miss : Solutions for all your Problems
    Dismiss Notice

your favorite room in the house

Discussion in 'Spotless Kitchen' started by Srama, Mar 24, 2009.

1. Srama

Srama Finest Post Winner

Hi,

in almost all of ours homes, kitchen is the heart of the home. I usually try to keep the living room and the formal dining room clutter free and clean so that it is always presentable to visitors, mostly unexpected. But being the way we are, most of our guests who visit us tend to enter our family room and position themselves there! So it is always a challenge to keep the family room clean all the time considering one, have two little ones at home and two, one can enter my family room only through the kitchen. Imagine my plight keeping these two rooms clean all the time. But deep inside, I am very happy that every one gravitates towards these two rooms - I like it, these two are my favorite rooms in the house.

So as a cleaning routine, once before hubby gets home, once in the night before we go to bed I usually pick up toys, sweep the floors, keep the counter tops clean and clutter free. But my night mare has been the kitchen sink. It is like an "Akshaya Patre" - the faster I clean, the sooner it gets filled up! so now as a rule of thumb, I empty the dish washer every morning and start loading as and when the dishes get filled up in the sink. Depending on the day, I have to run it twice! Some days it only gets boring and exhausting but the price I have to pay for not being on my toes is "war zone like rooms". I have learnt not to stress out about this anymore and just let go and do only as the routine demands. Picking up stuff seems to be the best remedy so far as well trying to teach kids/hubby to put back things where they belong or where they were picked up from!

So ladies, come on discuss your daily routine and say what is your favorite place in your home, and how you keep it clean and organized.

2. aishu22

aishu22 Gold IL'ite

Hey nice thread!! I enjoyed reading your response.

Well, as for me.. I love to keep my Living room and kitchen very cleanat all times.Our Master bedroom and guest one will be clean too mostly..since there's no kids at home.....:coffee
    I'm very particular about the counter top and the sink.. that however late i reach home i make sure to clean and empty them. I have a great aversion to see the sink with vessels...and the Kitchen towels has to be washed every night in detergent water and dried crisp!

As you said it take enormous efforts to keep the spic and span everytime,but makes me real proud whenever my relatives and friends proclaim that i maintain a neat house...
    well..well.. who doesnt like praises my dear!

3. Srama

Srama Finest Post Winner

Aishu, thank you for your first and quick response. I am sure you deserve all the praise you get - I can see how thorough you are with cleaning. As far as kids' mess, I have come to accept as necessary/organised clutter - as long as all the toys go into bins, I am a happy mom to be around!

4. Deepali_deepali

Deepali_deepali Gold IL'ite

Hi Srama,

An interesting thread !!!

I live with my inlaws and my MIL is very finicky about cleaning. So my priority is to keep my kitchen clean. The basic thing I do to make sure that my kitchen looks clean is to wipe the kitchen top with a wet cloth often, while and after working. No matter how late i come from office or whatever, My final shot is done by cleaning kitchen top and gas stove to a shine.

Rest, as I make sure that things are are at their respective places atleast, in all the rooms.

Thanks,

Deepali

5. Srama

Srama Finest Post Winner

Deepali, I did read your kitchen tips and can see where you get them from - your own expriece. Wiping the stove clean and often is a tip I discoverd a week ago! t works. Thanks for your response!

6. umasaras

umasaras Senior IL'ite

nice thread my weakest point is cleaning and organizing, all these years I have tried and failed and my house is always a mess that is why I keep visitingthis forum quite often to get motivated to clean .Ya i agree it is only a routine one has to keep AND CONTINUE, CONTINUING IS MY PROBLEM . All these years of marriage, (i.e 20 odd) that is one area I have never been able to conquer so this year is year of cleaning (learning that is) and maintaining at all times. So i can pick up tips from you all.
    regards,
    uma

7. Cutepavi

Cutepavi Silver IL'ite

Hey Uma,
    If you have a maid.. you can take tips from this forum and make your maid do the chores:hide: ... My mom does not always have time to keep the house clean.. So she assigns the maid all these cleaning chores!!! :cheers

8. Srama

Srama Finest Post Winner

That is a great suggesion by cutepavi...:) I totally undersand what you are saying Uma, I am oo like that to a certain extent and am learning to follow routine. And yes I agree, this forum helps me. One area I really can't catch up is paperwork - so this year I was forced to simply bundle up all the papers from last two years and box them away with a note - I resolved to get a good grip this year and so far so good! So now pantry is for kitchen, for paper work and soon I am going to add my son's shool books area there - it is a teeny weeny room but well organised - helps me be on top of things!

9. umasaras

umasaras Senior IL'ite

Thanks cutepavi,
    ya you are right, thanks for the input, I am just trying to do that , delegate, but it does not come easy But this year I had decided to face this head on and slowly making progress,
    uma

10. umasaras

umasaras Senior IL'ite

hi srama,
    yes I have also started doing that this year, First I started off with our puja room and the challenge is to maintain the order after cleaning , so far so good. let me see, one thing i am certain this time is no overhauling just little bit a day and continue doing it daily, earlier it used to be cleaning frenzy and total relaxation , now the method is doing little bit daily and maintaining what I had done. so far so good ,let me see.
    regards,
    uma