Your Favorite Politician, Any Country, Any Time

Discussion in 'News & Politics' started by Rihana, May 25, 2022.

1. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Name one or more of your favorite politician(s). They can be from any country and any time.

Why do you like or admire them? The reason can be as superficial as their dress sense or hairstyle. Or maybe oratory skills or their principles, governance, policies and the impact they had on their country or world.

Last edited: May 25, 2022
    KashmirFlower likes this.

2. Rihana

The name that comes to mind first for me is Atal Bihari Vajpayee. What an orator! It was difficult to watch or hear a speech by him and not feel inspired. He was also an accomplished poet. YouTube has many videos that I like to watch once in few years.

The other thing was the grace, tact and humor with which he handled questions about his personal life, bachelorhood and Mrs. Kaul. The sheer wit in his responses.

'Vajpayeeji, can you tell us about Mrs Kaul?'
    During a lively press conference in 1978 when Vajpayee was foreign minister, suddenly, a young journalist got up and hurled the million-dollar query: 'Vajpayeeji, forget Pakistan, China and Kashmir, can you tell us about Mrs Kaul?' A stunned silence descended. Unfazed, Vajpayee thought for a while, then replied with smiling eyes, 'Kashmir jaisa maamla hai [The matter is a bit like Kashmir].'

On another occasion, when another journalist asked why he had never married, he replied it was because he was in search of the ideal wife. Did you not find her, asked the journalist. 'Yes, I did find her, but she too was in search of the ideal husband,' responded Vajpayee.

In another interview he said, 'My life got taken over by events, I got caught up in them and vivaah ka muhurat nikal gaya [the time for marriage passed by].'

Did he have any affairs, the interviewer rather boldly asked him. He didn't deny it, just chortled: 'Affair ka charcha nahin kiya jaata hai saravajanik rup se [Affairs are not spoken of publicly].'

Still another time, when asked about his bachelor status, he remarked, 'Main kunwara hun, brahmachari nahin [I'm a bachelor, not a celibate].'

3. MalStrom

MalStrom IL Hall of Fame

Does Dr. Abdul Kalam qualify?
    He was such a decent, dignified gentleman and so passionate about science and learning for youths.

4. Rihana

Of course! I have friends and seniors who proudly recall and narrate brief meetings or seeing him in person when he visited DRDO.

I sometimes wish I had lived in India when he was President.

5. nandinimithun

nandinimithun IL Hall of Fame

Abdul Kalam sir, what a powerhouse of talent yet so simple, humble and always with a smile and inspiring everyone wherever he goes.

A wonderful visionary and i love his book The wings of fire.

MalStrom, Rihana and Thyagarajan like this.
  6. satchitananda

satchitananda IL Hall of Fame

I was thinking of him too, but then had the same question, since as a President, he was non-political and had never been a part of politics ever. His brilliance and humility were absolutely unparalleled.

7. Ushiee

Ushiee Gold IL'ite

Modiji is my favorite politician, strong leader and made a mark on global politics I’m proud of being Indian under his leadership

8. Thyagarajan

Thyagarajan IL Hall of Fame

:hello:I enjoyed vitriolic acrimonious wits of politician CHO Ramaswami - a dramatist cum lawyer/ attorney cum Cine comedian, stage actor, strategist cum editor of tamil magazine “thuglak”.
    He quipped thus when asked as to which party he belong:
    “I always belong to opposition party”.

I always enjoyed his political satire.

His dad got a letter of recommendation for his placement in a reputedcompany. When he returned home from interview, the friend who gave that recommendation letter was chatting with his dad. His dad asked him the result of interview. He was rejected in the interview and so summed up his reaction thus:

Not selected. Your friend has no value it seems. His recommendation is useless”.

An embarrassed dad stood astonished with son’s rude remarks & diatribe.

9. Thyagarajan

like Vajpayee, Bharat Ratna Kalam sahib too remained a bachelor/celebate.

Speaking of humility, humbleness & patrotism, I recall his visit to Thirumala aka Thirupathi where he was offered traditional welcome.

The chief priest and trustees were reminded of something by Kalam sahib. Visitor’s book was brought and he signed it. It could be a part of protocol observed in this temple to get signature of dignitaries .

Then on a large platter traditional ingredients filled offered by Kalam to the chief priest. Receiving the platter from Kalam Sahib’s hands, as per existing practise, the chief priest asked for his name and birth star for performing Archana to The Lord Venkateswara aka Srinivasa.

Kalam sahib responded : “ name is India . Star Unknown. Perform Archana in the name of India and Indian citizens.”

10. Thyagarajan

Kalam sahib as a student of Aero engineering coming from poor agricultural family was in need of some books. From erstwhile Moore Market That was a kind of mall during those days in 1940s and 50s for buying second hand rare. books including text books of engineering.

Those years there were hardly few books available by Indian authors and students mostly use foreign authors text books. Kalam sahib selected a couple of books from a shop and seller wanted ₹5 or so.

He said he had just₹2 only but needed all those for exam and said books would be returned after exams. Shop man agreed. As soon as exams were over he was back to the shop with those books to the delight of shop owner.

I am proud that I am product and alumnus of the same engineering college where Dr Kalam sahib studied during the years 1949 to 52.

This missile man needs no introduction, he is from our very own Tamilnadu. His achievements are so huge that makes him not only a national leader but also a world leader and a youth icon for the generations to come.

Rihana and satchitananda like this.