1. The Great Big Must Read List : Find Interesting Book Suggestions
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Your favorite female protagonist/character...

Discussion in 'Book Lovers' started by chillbreeze, Mar 4, 2015.

1. madhuprabha

madhuprabha Gold IL'ite

Hi CB
    Nice and thoughtful thread u have started.
    Before moving to fictitious characters, i want to first salute all women, be it as a daughter, sister, wife, mother, friend -- she is d ultimate.
    As usual i have to first give ful credit to my fav author - Sidney sheldon. His protagonists are so well written, each one exceeds d other in their wisdom,will power, determination to excell and succede and win at all costs.
    I dont want to name one or two for fear of missing out on any of the others.

2. chillbreeze

chillbreeze Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Iswarya, a different but strong character you have chosen. This book has been the source of argument between my friend and me during our college days.

3. chillbreeze

Aww Madhu, not fair. List a few characters you like na so that others will also get to know about them.

PS. Good to have you backhugsmiley

4. indoc

indoc Gold IL'ite

Mostly characters played by Meg Ryan... movies like sleepless in seattle, you got mail, addicted to love, kate & leopold.. and even in serious movies like when a man loves a woman..

Why should our fav female protagonist should always be serious people who endured pains, struggles, defying the odds..,,
    the concept of 'underdogs' over coming hurdles has been milked enough by holly/bolly/tolly/kolly.. and other kinds of woods.

5. chillbreeze

Hi @indoc I like Meg Ryan movies too. She is the queen of rom-coms. Please do share your favorite characters from books.

6. AprilLisa

AprilLisa Gold IL'ite

some from my list are:

Josephine March - Little Women
    Jennifer Parker - Rage of Angels
    Liesel Meminger - The Book Thief
    Nandini - Right Fit Wrong Shoe
    Rebecca Bloomwood - Shopaholic series
    Samantha Sweeting - The Undomestic Goddess

7. PriyaSrini

PriyaSrini Moderator Staff Member Platinum IL'ite

I am going to start with the first female character that inspired me.

George Fayne : from Nancy Drew series, in my preteens I believed that she was everything my alter ego would be. Tomboyish, athletic ah! how I wished my mom would let me wear my hair short just like George.

Then some Shakespearean female characters.
    Portia: from The Merchant of Venice. Too bad she had to dress up as a male to deliver her famous speech.

Lady Macbeth: from Macbeth

Dagny Taggart: from Atlas Shrugged, I remember this scene when Dagny offers to take the bracelet from Lillian Rearden.

Hiroko Tanaka : from Brunt Shadows. The N-bomb, partition and even the Afghan war and 9/11, she has seen it all but never once gives up hope.

Draupadi : from The Palace of Illusions, she is responsible for the great war, talk about bold and beautiful.

I will add some more as I recollect them.

8. jingi92

jingi92 Gold IL'ite

hi .. nice thread ... i hv a few (quite a few actually favs)
    in no particular order ... like that lawyer in i think rage of angels, that lady who is an expert "thief" in one of sidney sheldon's novels again ... (in fact like almost all of his leading ladies if i can call them)
    i like that lady in "the scarlet letter" forgot the author ... espy where she says she wants an "A" on her tomb ..
    the recently read book palace of illusions ... draupadi ...
    scarlet o hara ..
    how can i forget alice (in wonderland)
    lady macbeth ... espy where she says "Here’s the smell of the blood still. All the perfumes of Arabia will not sweeten this little hand.... "
    quite a few others too ... the list is endless .. but these are the ones i can recollect off hand .. :)

9. indoc

indoc Gold IL'ite

If its character from books...
    Anna Karenina by Leo Tolstoy... perfect example of indecisive & insecure middle class woman.
    Miss Marple by Agatha Christie.. intelligent, broody

10. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

@Aprillisa yes the book thief liesel loved the character
    @Priyasrini there is always a toss between dominique and dagny in my heart.both influence your thinking as long as you are reading. i think that is the success of her books that still make you wonder, think and want to see if you could make it happen.