1. Handy Kitchen Tips that You cannot Miss : Solutions for all your Problems
    Dismiss Notice

Your dream home!

Discussion in 'Home Decoration & Improvement' started by dhivya rangarajan, Jan 29, 2010.

1. dhivya rangarajan

dhivya rangarajan Bronze IL'ite

Hello ILs,

Its so surprising (and a bit shocking) for me to see this forum unexploited. Ladies here are ace diplomats, planners, organizers, financial consultants to their families. So when it comes to the construction of your house, you shd have run from pillar to pole, to get ur dream come true.

running up research abt the location, enquiring ground valuation, visiting various plots, checking CMDA specifications, checking for a good engineer, mastry, and right upto the choosing of ur living room wall colour, I know many of you have BEEN THERE... DONE THAT...!!

And there are again so many of us who have an ideal home all in the mind, remembering patters, designs, impressive house structures, sighing heavily at homedecor ads, and collaterally thinking many plans for your house thta you want to build or redecorate a house that is a bit too drab for you..

Also, there is also many of us who browse through many a bank profiles to choose the best loan offerer, wait for the budget to see if there is atax cut, is buying a home advisable in the economy, and if yes, is it a good investment..

I know we are all out here... Sometimes clueless as to where to start, whom to ask, how to decide.. Lets group in here.. I have been doing all the above for some months now for myself. Today I thought I will check in IL, and whoa! there isnt anything yet................. :eek:mg:
    We arent going to leave this space unexplored are we???:thumbsup
    So come in here and share what you care about YOUR HOUSE, YOUR HOME, YOUR DREAM...

Share it here with me..
    I will also give you a piece of my mind.. :thumbsup

:kiss :kiss

2. Foundlove

Foundlove Gold IL'ite

Sorry I did not see your post before...Let me start.

As a dream home I definitely want cosy ,comfortable and built with amneties. I also like character in a house.

Like my PIL's home was built by their ancestors and is beautiful with lots of land around and mature trees..Its very tranquil and I love it.

Here in US ...I love my house as it has an open plan and so looks spacious...has 3 balconies and also has sliding doors from those balconies.

we have hard wood floor and I like that...

3. Ooviya

Ooviya Platinum IL'ite

Hi,
    Nice thread! My dream home is now under construction. Not only mine my hubby's dream also... but 50% of my dream only processing:biglaugh

• Mostly i like independent house or villa with both side of path big garden fulfill with red, orange and white roses,
    • One side of my entrance Parrots and love birds cage,
    • Inside excellent and traditional main door, my white puppy roaming inside,
    • Different arch works in all bed rooms and living rooms Entrance,
    • POP Ceiling In living
    • One French door in our living room,
    • One gingle bell and gud chandlier lights in living room,
    • Pista green paint for our living, baby pionk and sky ble color for bed rooms, Then matching tiles, carpets, screen cloth and bed spread and pillow covers ......
    so my dream is going on...... How is it????!!!:cheers

4. Lalitha venkate

Lalitha venkate Senior IL'ite

yet to start my dream house project

5. sarajara

sarajara Gold IL'ite

Yes as the OP rightly said a very nice section without being used properly.

I have always dreamed a home for myself - Forget about dream home my first dream is to get a home.:)

Atlast after a great hunt spanning for 3+ years me and DH have managed to book in a flat in bangalore where we stay for a few years now. We do not have ideas of moving out of this city which flaunts an execellent climate and good educational opporutnities available here.

I would be watching "HOT PROPERTY" show in ndtv regularly to figure out new ways to beautifum home and new ideas for furnishing etc.. as i feel that i lack on that part.

My dream home is a big individual house... not in a residential area,but rather i want my residence to be an area , a massive one with

1. A Compound wall being of atleast 18 ft height with the security lining over the wall( either an electric one or the normal one with crumpled glasses on th wall)

2. 7 feet distance from the wall should be a line of Ashoka trees, or any other treee tat is perennial.

3. The house compund should enclose atleast 5 acres of land.

4. There should be a garden with beautiful flowers, the mended crotons or ornamental plants take back seat - I prefer ones that are naturally beautiful.

5. I want a guest house seperate in the campus - one with a Big and neat kitchen and a grand dining hall and a couple of working rooms in the ground floor and atleast 3-4 bedroom suites with an attaached small kitchen in the first floor and a nice open space with a thatched roof in the secoond floor and walls of thatched wood.

6. the house should be the end of a beautoifuk drive way lined by lawn. A Big HAll with a kitchen on one side, a big grand dining hall, anoffice room in the front , a small and cute reading room( small library), a room for the aged with all facilities.

A big stair case shouldlead to the next floor with a couple of bedrooms and another two bedrooms coupled togehter all of them with beautful balconies facing the garden.

7. Coming to the garden, it should be two parts one haviung the household vegetables simple one close to the back yard of the house. The other one bigger sprawling through the left over area of the campus filled with natural plants, shrubs, or creepers that are by themselves beautiful and doesnt require and cutting or pruning. Rose plants ,DAhlia,s and some other fragrant loveky coloured evening flowering ones are must.I prefer roses and dahlias of all possible colours.I want jasmine in the back yard of the main house.

8. There should be a swimming pool and a seperate pond with a couple of ducks/ swans,i want pigeons in the house, a single pup and a kitten too all having their own dwellings.

that is all for now on my dream home . I feel that i should have a house like this before i die. I am sure I can have it very well :)

6. dhivya rangarajan

Hi FL,

Your PIL's house description is more or less the same of my father's jpint family home! We used to have 9 coconut trees, gauva trees, pomogranate tree, lot of veggies, flowers - jasmine, kanakambaram, december, hibiscus, pavalamalli... a lot of it! Then add a huge thinnai, a well, a large fish tank with around 60 fishes, 1 hen, 10 adults, 7 children!!! whao.. that was an awesome life...

My present dream home would be close but relatively small, as its just 4 of us now, but I will love the fishes, trees, wells and plants..

The house in which I live now is a duplex independent, typical average plot put to maximum use.

I see that there is lot of space wastage.. and in the name of beauty, unnecesary domes, uselessly small balconies etc make the house a little less attractive. The decoration done by my mil has BLUE TILE< BLUE PAINT< BLUE SOFA CUSHIONS< and a showcase full of soft tuoys - all of which i hate :)

I see no charecter in that house. It could be barbie's house!!

I would like a house with red oxide colored flooring with a beige paint, furnished in deep smart wood, with a dash of color in freestyle painting in one of the walls of my reading and dinig rooms.

Lets see, we hope to do some changes or probably build another house in the nex 5 years.

7. dhivya rangarajan

Hey Ooviaya,

Your dream house is indeed sweet :) Parrots and love birds and puppy - wow.. as you enter there will be quite a welcome! It will be home of warmth!!

The srtucture you have is also quite modern and utility oriented! But the interiors u describe - all quite the ideal standard, you know. Like a reflection of a paint advertisement... :) Think more of character - something very unique about u both... Like a circular dining hall? a themed bedroom/ or a theme for the whole house? My bedroom is mystique themed... Everything looks like its floating, the paint is a dreamy grey and darker grey on theme wall - with a corner haing a tree painted with a lotttt of colors - done by me :) something erractic? somethimg romantic??

Think!! :)

8. dhivya rangarajan

Ah Sarajara..

Thats definitely out of my league!!! :)

The size of our house is beyond me... My chithi's house is like that - you know - lawn, guest house and all that - but for me, I think it lacks personal touch.. Like the house has 7 bedrooms for 4 people. all the 4 members are in either one of the rooms, door promptly shut! If they have to speak or call for dinner, my chiti gives misd call or message of their mobile phones!! :)

Not my cup of tea!

A house for me should have lot of free space - interactive space... :)

But your house is everyone's fantasy I must say!!

The maintenance will be worst part of all of it i think!

9. achu

achu Bronze IL'ite

wow nice thread :) let me share my dream too...

first i need a minimum of 25cents /10,000 sq.ft area ... with 1500 -2000sq.ft house...in a village atmosphere, if not - atleast few kilometers away from the city ,in a calm n serene area.

need a good landscaping ,with artificial rocks, waterfalls [luv that sound of water ] , lots of pebbles....greenery n with many coconut trees around [i admire it a lot :), esp. those long leaves ], 1 or 2 mango trees , 1 jackfruit tree [but i hate jackfruits ] n surely a neem tree too.... n few bonsais n flowerings plants.

I need a well, inside my compound –though it has become a rare thing nowades.

my house should be a single storey with 3 BR, living ,kitchen etc, as usual... but with lot many windows - which provides natural light... and I want my house to be eco-friendly.

Few years back, we had visited a friend, an architect - he’s quite famous in his field – the reason is he uses lots of natural items like mud , bamboo etc… and his projects are cost effective too ,and that is his beauty n success . I was totally surprised, when he told me that his office room was constructed with mud – it had a very cool atmosphere inside …. You will never need an a/c there…even in summer . surely I will approach this person, for his innovative n cost effective ideas….

living room - with traditional mural paintings on one side of the wall...centre courtyard , few antique items , low -level sofa seaters[a bit of traditional arabic style ] ,indoor plants ,and flooring should be Athangudi - Chettinad style tiles, I would like to include lot many ganeshas [ I love him too ] , terracotta art-works… on the whole it should be a blend of traditional and contemporary ideas.

next is the bathroom – that’s another attraction for me …. I always tell my hubby ,that the master bedroom should have a biggggg , cosy bathroom. According to me , it’s a place where we spend few minutes , all for ourselves:exactly:. A bathroom with a small open ceiling at one extreme , which allows natural light + which gives way for rain too…. The floor just below the open area – should have sand and pebbles…. I kno, this may sound weird :hide: ….. but imagine taking a shower , on a heavy rainy day – on watching the rain… [ since my house is within a big compound , no outsiders can peep into my private room ….am i rite :crazy ] and if I need such a bathroom , I kno I may have to built my house in kerala , where there’s rain for 6mnths…:biglaugh:biglaugh

these are the 3 things which I think n plan a lot…..when I think of my dream house !!! I’l get back to this topic again…. When I start thinking about the rest of the rooms ....

10. dhivya rangarajan

hey achu,

thats very cute! and ur eco-friendly architect sounds very interesting too! :)

so when is the project scheduled for? i am sure its going to take quiet a number of months!