1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

You raised me! I failed you!

Discussion in 'Stories (Fiction)' started by ILoveTulips, Sep 11, 2010.

1. ILoveTulips

ILoveTulips IL Hall of Fame

Finest Blog Winner - Third Weekly pick for the month of September.

Thamizhchelvi Manufacuring company's front area was filled with people so that its facade was not visible to those travelling in the road. People standing outside were sharing their own version of the story that they heard. Recession has clearly didnt leave Thamizhchelvi manufacturing Co. as an exception. Previous day the rumors were spreading out like forest fire that company is going to be shutdown. Every employee was engulfed in shock. Some are very hopeful that its just a rumor. Evening by 4.30PM the same day, the supervisor made a visit to each department of the company. Amidst the loud noises of the machine, he had to raise his voice to the maximum decibel and asked them to assemble in the canteen by 10AM the next day. Employees who were very hopeful before has started losing it. It must be some bad news and they want to announce to all the employees together. They had the whole evening to run the details over and over again about what will happen the next day.

The next day, there they were. Employees started assembling in front of the canteen half an hour before the said time. They stood in groups and shared their own views. Some men worried about their kids' education, some men thought where are they going to spend their post-retirement time after this, some women worried how are they going to stay in home and listen to their in laws words, few very young boys and girls worried how are they going to see their boy/girlfriends working in the same company, after leaving here. Sakthi had his own issue, the issue he thinks that is bigger than anything. Self Respect.

Since childhood he was compared with his elder brother Karthi. Karthi concentrated in his studies, scored good marks, entered Engineering college, secured a good job in well known Software company. On the other hand, Sakthi was very active, finds hard time to sit in a place for long time with a book, thought doing any physical work is much better than reading something. The result, he failed in the public examination, for which he was cursed by his father, but Sakthi didnt worry even a bit. Of course he will fail if he was asked to do something he was not interested in. He had passion with mechanics, repairing bikes, changing engines, etc. Before even he reached 17, he got a job in a local mechanics company. The pay was enough for his own expenses and buy flowers for his mom. When he entered his first job, Karthi was in college. So Sakthi was proud of himself that he started live independently. His father deeply worried about sakthi's future. Wen Sakthi completed 20 years he got a job in Thamizhchelvi Manufacturing company. That was a very successful, famous company which employed 4% of the city's population. His previous company manufactured just one item, which made Sakthi bored soon. But here they manufactured several different items. Sakthi couldnt believe his eyes when he saw how plastics and iron rods change to chairs, tables, stoves, etc. Each day in that company seemed like a adventure for him. His mom listened very patiently when he explained how they do each and everything, during dinner time. She was very happy that he enjoys his work so much. Every month, he gives the salary to his mom, and he likes asking her money for his expenses. They had so much affection between themselves. His father always felt that Sakthi disappointed him. He felt proud of Karthi that he is working in a multi national company. Karthi used to tell his father that very soon he may get chance to fly to USA. His fathers heart felt contented. Because of these indifferences Sakthi and Karthi never felt connected. They talk scarcely.

Now the job, which had maintained the self respect in his family is going to slip away. His father is going to hate him even more. He didnt know how to face his mom, as she is the only person in the home supported him.

After few minutes the supervisor came out of the canteen and called everybody inside. They all prayed their own favourite God that it should be a good news. They walked briskly inside, as the first few people went in, suddenly the pace slowed down. They stood there surprised. People coming behind started pushing them, but then they too surprised as seeing the scene in front of them. Those of them who were sure that they are going to be thrown out of the company, didnt know that they will get to see the company's Chairman Thiru. Ganeshamoorthy there, that too just few feets before. Many of them saw him only in Newspapers and TV news. When all the employees got into the canteen, they stood there jaw dropped and for a moment they forgot the crisis which they didnt stopped thinking for 30 hours. In order to see the Chairman clearly, people who stood in the last row, shouted the people in front of them to sit. Without second thought everybody sat in front of him. People have heard so much good things about Mr. Ganeshamoorthy. When he got a chance to work in Germany and close this unit, he refused to do so because he dont want to ditch his employees for his own well being. So each and every person in this company had a special respect for him and were longing to see him. Sakthi got a place in the corner, from where he could see him clearly. Mr. Ganeshamoorthy was impressed to see the cooperation between the workers. Before he started to speak, he wanted to make sure everybody hears him clearly. So he walked to the middle row and started to speak. Without any effort from the supervisor the canteen was in pin drop silence.

Dear Employees,

I believe you have heard the rumours going around. Before starting to speak about that. I wanted to tell something, to be precise, to confess something.

A decade ago, there were 50 employees in this Thamizhchelvi Manufacturing company. Now the head count crossed 500. A decade ago, the name of company is not known to many people. But today we are in the top 100 big manufacturing company
    in South India. Each drop of the sweat you shed added to the development of the company. We wouldn't achieved any of this without your hardwork, dedication more importantly cooperation.

One of my good friends, who is also a chairman of a manufacturing company, I intend to keep the name anonymous, often told me. For each profit the company makes, he has to face hunger strike from the employees, asking for salary raise. In our company the incident of employees fighting against the management, in any form, hadn't held in the history. This company has grown without a single blackmark, which made the clients to give the orders without any hesitation.

As an employee, each one of you, played your role excellent. You did your job perfect, each one of you exceeded the company's expectation. You lifted the company's fame in your arms, and not one moment you got tired to keep it down.

For the smooth running of a vehicle its two tyres should be strong and functioning properly. Its the same for this company vehicle. One of them is the labour and the other one is the management. You never stopped in your drive. Unfortunately, the management did. By that I mean, Me. I failed to do my work properly. When you concentrated in working hard in your orders, I have to predict the economy and be more prepared to face this crisis. But I failed to do that. 2 decades ago, during the same economic depression, this company stayed unaffected. It was the brilliance of my father. I on the other hand, thought I will do so much better than him as I am educated than him. With the business intelligence he had, he predicted the economic depression, maintained the financial balance, in short he took the role of an ant and prepared for the winter. But I failed to do that.

I was in the glory that the company is growing fast, so as the clients list. I was busy in making this even bigger, move forward in the list of Top 100 manufacturing companies, and completely didnt see the economic depression coming. I didnt prepare what to do if this time comes.

Now coming to the point, I have came to the point to shut down the company to safe guard some money. As much as I regret that I am going to let you all go, I am happy that I can do something for you and I am not letting you go empty hand. The machineries in the company are sold. Some percentage of the amount goes to company's tax, other expenses and more than 60% of the amount is been split even to every one of you. I am sure it will cover you for 7 to 12 months of salary depending on what you are earning now. I sincerely hope that this money should get you all through this recession without much difficulty.

You all know that this company should have been closed long time back. I didnt wanted to do that. I ran the company for you, so any money out of it should go to you.

Hope you all have a very good Diwali!!

By that the Chairman turned his back and walked out of the canteen. The canteen remained pin drop silence still. They watched the man till he disappeared. Then the supervisor announced that the money will get credited in the bank account. Slowly one by one stood and left the canteen. The discussions were much lesser before they entered.

Sakthi's worries were washed away by Mr. Ganeshamoorthy's speech. He walked with his head straight. He know he will face his parents proudly. He had the feeling that he was one of them who grew the company.

He dont want to go home early, and tell the news to his dad first. He decided to go home at usual time and tell his mom first, then ask her to convey to appa herself. So he visited his friends, spend some time with them. He jumped on the back of one of his friends bike and they just drove over the city. During afternoon, they happened to go past Karthi's company. He had heard that the building is the biggest in the city, but this is the first time he saw it. It was indeed a huge building covered with glass walls, grass lawns outside, decorative lights etc. It seemed like a dreamland for Sakthi. He thought whoever works here should be very proud of themselves. There were several security guards and some were with guns. He stood there amazed for more than a minute watching the building and the employees coming out proudly. Opposite to the building there were coffee shops, snack shops etc. Bunch of employees with blue color tags around their neck, stood there chatting. In one of the shops stood Karthi. Sakthi somehow felt proud that his brother is working in such a big company. He pictured Karthi inside working in computers, in an AC room, speaking in English to the foreign clients etc. Karthi was standing alone and sipping tea. Sakthi felt a sudden urge to go over there and speak with him. Tell him that how big the company is etc etc. He told his friend to wait for few minutes, crossed the road and motioned towards Karthi. When Karthi saw him, Sakthi left a smile on his face, which surprised Karthi.

surprised to see you here Sakthi.. I never saw you in this street..

Yes, just came for a ride. Is it break time for you?

He heaved a long sigh... it took at least 30 seconds before he started to speak..

No Sakthi, I am waiting for my friend. I dont know how to say this. But I have to let it out.

What happened? tell me Karthi.

Today morning when I came to office I found my id card didnt work and I couldn't enter the office. When I asked the reception, she called to HR and the HR person came out. He took me to the small conference room outside the office and told me that I am fired. I demanded for the reason. He just replied that I didnt meet their expectation. I dont understand, I was working for 17, 18 hours in the office. As I kept asking him, his answers were hurting me. He had paper work with him in which I had to sign and come out. They didnt even let me go to my place to collect my things. He said one of my friends will bring. After I came out I found that it was happening for the last 1 week. Till now they have sent around 300 people out. As I was working hard, I thought I wont be one of them. But they took me out anyway. I just dont know how to go home and face appa.

Sakthi could not believe what he was hearing. If he tells what happened to him, that will make Karthi even worse. So he just said some encouraging words and moved out of the place after promising he wont say anything to his parents.

When Sakthi turned back and crossed the road, he saw the building again. To his surprise, it gave him difference feeling. The polished, glassy, glittering building was nothing when compared to the old brick building of Thamizhchelvi Manufacturing Company. As he passed the company in the bike he thought to himself, "I may be paid less; but never lost Self Respect".

ShriBadri likes this.

2. iyerviji

iyerviji IL Hall of Fame

Dear Tulips

Surprising that such a good and thought provoking blog but no comments till now. I am glad that I am the first one to give fb. You have brought out the feelings very nicely. Good one. I read the whole blog at a stretch. There is always something to learn from your blogs.

love
    viji

3. ILoveTulips

Dear Viji madam,

I was just about to give up blogging after seeing no comments for this blog... I cant see it dying, but you gave life to it.... Thanks for your comment... I thought this concept for longtime... 1 hour writing, 1 hour proof reading, half an hour correction, but felt depressed nobody read it... :( I am so glad that you gave the first feedback... Thats enough for me to keep going... :)

With Love,
    ILoveTulips

4. iyerviji

iyerviji IL Hall of Fame

Dear Tulips

Dont give up. You write so well. Sometimes it happensthat we dont get fbs for some of our blogs. As long as many views are there we should not get disappointed. Though I am telling you I also get disappointed when I dont get fbs. FBs gives encouragement to write more. So dont give up go on writing. You write so well. I like all your blogs.

love
    viji

5. Lalitha Shivaguru

Lalitha Shivaguru Platinum IL'ite

Dear ILT,

A nice blog...

The narration was heart touching. Thought of reading the same later but finsished it at one stroke.

Keep going Tulips, your narration is too good.

6. ILoveTulips

Dear Viji mam.... Thanks a lot for your encouraging words.... Yes I do feel bad when I dont get FBs... That too after expecting that this blog will be liked by everyone.... .... :( anyway hope more people will read it in future...

ILoveTulips

7. ILoveTulips

Dear Lalitha... Touched by your comments... Glad you liked it... YYes I can understand why you felt that you should read later.... because it was too long... and also I didnt break it into small paragraphs... Lesson learnt for the next blog... Thanks again... :)

8. ILoveTulips

Dear Pallavi,

Thats so sweet of you! You made my day by saying that my blog is the first one you commented in this website.

Did you also note that, IT companies never accept that its the management's fault for not being capable of standing steady in the recession, and they have to ditch the employees who grown the company? They crush the confident of the employees by saying that they didnt meet the expectations, they are not competent etc etc, just to cover their own inability??

Hope I didnt exaggerate too much in the speech of Mr. Ganeshamoorthy, where he completely accepts his fault in not leading the company properly.

Thanks so much for your comments... It really mean a lot to me...

9. ramyaraja

ramyaraja Gold IL'ite

ILT nice one..Well narrated.. It reminded me of my working period.. The speech by Ganeshmoorthy was awesome and had very good thoughts told.. :)

10. AkilaMani

AkilaMani Local Champion Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Dear Tulips,

Hugs to you dear.... i am so sorry that you felt dissappointed by not receiving comments. Sometimes it does happen, and I too feel bad for not recieving fbs and start to doubt my writing abilities. but the number of views itself is a great reminder that many have read the blog and most of them are silent viewers. I always enjoy your blogs... this one is wonderful, you have captured the essense so beautifully!! great writing.

love
    akila