1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

You Are What You Think - Valarppom Thannambikkai - 12

Discussion in 'Sundays with Varalotti' started by varalotti, May 20, 2007.

1. varalotti

varalotti IL Hall of Fame

Dear Vandhana,
    While writing positive thinking articles I aim at the sky and the stars. I know it is rather difficult. But it is definitely worth trying nevertheless.
    The psychological terrorism that was practised by the Chennai team is something that affected me for a long time. I tried some of the techiniques which they did and it worked. And now I have also developed powerful antidotes when somebody tries to implant fear in us.
    Thanks for the nice words.
    sridhar

2. varalotti

Dear Kamla,
    Thanks for those very genuine words of praise which I treasure the post. Let me use this post to give some tips on handling fear.
    Fear is a very productive emotion. But it has to be managed and brought under control. Fear is a river in the forest and we need to dam it to produce power from it.
    Normally our initial reaction towards fear is denial. That only saps our energy and the denied fear comes back with vengeance later.
    Let us first embrace fear and be friends with it. Once in the grip of fear we can't separate ourselves from fear. There is no fear apart from us and no "us" apart from fear. Lets be aware of it and lets just examine how it is affecting our mind. Let's us be aware of the butterflies in our stomaches and the secretion of adrenalin, all the file intelligently focussing on the source of fear.

I have seen students about to write an important examination completely denying fear and then are trapped in it. If a student says that she does not hav butterflies in her stomach before the exams I tell her that her preparation is not enough.
    Accepting our fears, embracing them, handling them for our betterment - are the secrets of success.
    regards,
    sridhar

3. sudhavnarasimhan

sudhavnarasimhan Silver IL'ite

Dear Sridhar,

this was a good writeup in your motivational, inspirational series. it is such a difficult thing to take your thoughts away from fear or negativity, once you let them settle down.....no matter how much you try to push them away they get themselves ingrained in the mind.....it really takes all of one's full efforts to succeed ....and get some positive feelings in that place! So great article....liked the way Chennai team thought of brainwasing madurai team.....and the lizard episode also rings so true!:2thumbsup:

4. varalotti

Dear Sudha,
    thanks for those words. It is difficult to take away our thoughts from negativity. I think you know the monkey joke.
    A native doctor gave a "legyam" to his patient telling him, "dont ever think about a monkey while eating this."
    The patient was thinking of nothing else but the monkey when he ate the stuff. Now this doctor could have given a different command. He should have said "Think about an elephant while eating this stuff." It could have surely worked.

That's why in our religion they did not concern themselves with keeping off negativity. Instead they made us to think about God, his Love, his great qualities and all. So that we will not have the mind or the time to think about anything else.

regards,

5. varalotti

Most Gracious ILites,

Thanks for your renewed support to the series. I have posted the translation for the next episode today. It is all about hard work and smart work.

Those who want to read it in Tamil please send me a pm.

regards,

6. aami

aami New IL'ite

this is quite true.let any one should nt create fear in u ...is nt it.we should only believe our eyes,not someones words....:)

1 person likes this.
  7. lathanarasimhan

lathanarasimhan New IL'ite

Hi all,
    Very nice to read all your posts in valarppom thnnambikkai.
    I want to share this incident .
    My husband was posted to Delhi in 1994.We had engaged proffessional packers who also offered to transport our car . After we shifted to Delhi we were staying in our bank guest house.There was a cook cum house keeper & a watchman.
    My children who were aged 12& 6yrs had left for school and my husband to his office.Around 11.30 am I got a call from my husband saying our car has arrived .
    He explained to me that when the car is delivered I should check for any damage before signing the receipt.
    Two hefty sardarji's arrived with the car. they spoke sweet words and kept addressing me as bhabhi.
    When they politely requested for the signature, I in turn asked to see our car.They also asked for a payment to be made for home delivery. I read the papers carefully
    and found that we had already made the payment for home delivery also.
    The car had small damages so I said I'll not pay any money but I'll also mention about the damages in the receipt since we had to claim insurance.
    The two men understood that I was'nt an ignorant housewife and started raising their voice in an attempt to threaten me .I simply called up my husband and asked them to wait till my husband comes.
    They kept on shouting and I simply kept quite. As time went by They tried new methods to scare me. Suddenly they got up to leave with the car keys asking me to collect from a very far of place. I knew I had to do some thing ,I prayed to goddess Rajarajeshwari Chanting her name a few times mentally chased the men through the stairs and shouted at the top of my voice, "hey you keep the keys and go or else You don't know what I can do to you." I also shouted at the watchman that if he wants his job my car should not be touched by anyone.
    What happened after that was unbelievable. The two men meekly placed the keys on the table and begged me not to inform the police & left quietly.
    After all the noise subsided my husband arrived & when he heard what happened he had a hearty laugh. Did I appear so fierce when I shouted? I don't know.
    My confidence at the right moment saved us from lot of trouble. so be confident ladies when need arises.
    Even God helps only those who help themselves.
    Regards latha

Last edited: Jun 20, 2007
  8. Tamildownunder

Tamildownunder Bronze IL'ite

Dear varalotti,

Although the write-up on ' You Are What You Think ' is interesting to read, personally I was disappointed. What I expected was that you may quote people and narrate episodes in which how people thought or dreamed what they will be or what they want to be. Many children when asked what you want to be in future will say I want to be a doctor or an engineer, lawyer etc. and when they grow up they may be totally in different field. I did not want to be a scientist and I thought I will be a Radio News Reader or a teacher. So, I am not what I thought I will be or I am not what I want to be. The human reactions you have quoted is very natural. When I was a boy I used to buy things for the house and my grandfather will ask,' how much did you pay for the coffee powder', if I say less price than his expectation he will react,'That is why I find the coffee not so good' and at the same time if I say I had paid higher price then his reaction would be,' Oh, that is why coffee is excellent'.

Regards,

TDU

9. varalotti

Dear Latha,

Thanks for sharing with us the incident. That only goes to prove that if only we decide to be courageous no force in the world can stop us.

The only caution I would like to sound, as your well-wisher, is that there are times when we come face to face with the brutal force of evil. Apart from showing courage, we should also use the restraining powers of the intellect.
    In our town when a lady was once accosted by a thief who demanded her jewels, she opposed him violently, whereupon the thief stabbed her and ran away. The jewels were saved no doubt. But the women did not live to wear them.

But one thing I like about your post is that before chasing those burly sardarjis you chanted God's name. That way you have an inbuilt protection. When you give yourself over to God then he will help you make the right decision.
    Thanks for the participation, Latha.
    regards,

8 people like this.
  10. varalotti

Dear TDU,
    "You are what you think" is such a vast topic that I have enough materials to publish a dozen books. This is a small tip of the ice berg. While examining one tip of a huge ice-berg, we cannot say, oh, I don't find what is there in the other tips or the rest of the iceberg.
    To use another metaphor "You are What You Think" is a huge elephant and in this article I have just presented a part of one of the legs. It is difficult to see for the whole elephant in this part alone.

Interesting to read about your Grandfather who automatically linked price with quality. Sadly, that is not true today. The Dosa I ate in Gopu Iyengar cafe is at least 5 times cheaper than its counterpart in Saravana Bhavan, but is at least a hundred times tastier and wholesome than the latter.
    regards,

1 person likes this.