1. Want to get periods immediately before attending a religious event? Check this out for tips...
    Dismiss Notice

Yoga...the Ultimate!

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by anika987, May 15, 2020.

1. anika987

anika987 IL Hall of Fame

I have been into fitness for more than a decade and a half and been working out almost five days a week and never miss as much as possible..

Zumba,kickboxing,Cardio,strength training and jogging have been my favorites.It keeps me physically healthy.

I have never been interested in yoga and few years back started few basic classes and found it a drag.Stopped it.

Then out of the blue,started yoga two years back,thought it was easy and am
    Quite flexible and could do basic,intermediate and a couple of advanced poses.Still I couldn’t feel it..

This Year start I am doing a more vigorous training..doing yoga for an hour and more every day..Then I realized.

YOGA IS NOT EASY...

I wanted to keep fit and started the practice but the more I did it..realized there is more to it..

It requires..

balance
    Flexibility
    Awareness
    Mobility
    strength

There were days when I went very sore as I overstretched and as I advanced..the poses became challenging and more challenging..
    I mix ashtanga and vinyasa and believe it..it gets intense.

Yoga teaches you to be grounded and It also improved a lot of focus.

One thing is that lot of negative emotions started to release and it feels confusing.I should be feeling positive not the other way around.I asked An acquaintance who is a yoga practitioner and was told this is common and not to control it.

I feel am Physically more stronger and my body is relaxed.

Most importantly...yoga keeps you humble.I feel of out of all the workouts this is the ultimate and as you keep practicing it gets very addictive doing it.

With yoga..one has to do with all of mind- body-breath connection and there will be times when you can even break into tears.

I would suggest everyone to add some yoga to whatever workouts you are doing.

YOGA...What a treasure !!

2. vidhyalakshmid

vidhyalakshmid IL Hall of Fame

Good writeup about your experience. When you do yoga your body releases endorphins which boosts our immune system. Yoga is the harmony of mind,body and the spirit. Wavering, wandering mind gets the focus while doing yoga, because the postures are done with specific importance on breaths. My day is incomplete without the minimum time of yoga. While doing yoga you give the message to your body system and the muscle, bone memory is created. Prana (roughly more oxygen) is supplied to the specific parts during different postures. Yoga is an ocean created by our ancestors and we should sip it whatever we can.

Thyagarajan and anika987 like this.
  3. Isha85

Isha85 New IL'ite

Good to hear this Anika,

I practice Surya Namaskara 50 counts followed by other asanas, could you please share what asanas you practice everyday; is it good practice yoga evening as am busy morning hours

Thank you

anika987 likes this.
  4. anika987

anika987 IL Hall of Fame

yoga can be practiced in the evening but your stomach should be empty Atleast for couple of hours.If you can do it,no problem but make sure not to eat before that.

I usually go with an yoga flow,mix vinyasa and Ashtanga and also do some deep stretches to enhance flexibility.
    I learnt a bit of yoga in India plus I attend zoom Classes with a yoga instructor.Also,I use YouTube videos to help me as I quite know the form.

I also practice poses from basic to intermediate.I add some
    Bakasana and right now practicing mayurasana.

I start with five to six sun salutations or sometimes just do only that.Then add Navasana,trikonasana,natarajasana,danurasana,Konasana etc etc and then when am in that pose start doing modifications.I Try to do a well rounded yoga routine which covers head to toe.I practice max one hour or some days extend a bit.

Finally I try and add Anulom vilom pranayama

I have a long way to go in yoga and find it very challenging but emotionally relaxed.

5. DavenaRosalie

DavenaRosalie Silver IL'ite

Yoga is a great activity for you, it gives you strength, flexibility, and mind-body awareness. It can help you stay flexible and strong without putting added stress on your joints.

anika987 likes this.