1. Want to get periods immediately before attending a religious event? Check this out for tips...
    Dismiss Notice

Yoga for You - All about YOGA

Discussion in 'Keep Fit & Maintain Shape' started by prathi, Mar 22, 2006.

1. puni88

puni88 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Re: Yoga For You!!

Hello,
    This is very good information.
    Do you have something about breathing exercise.

Thanks,
    Punitha

2. Madhubala

Madhubala New IL'ite

Re: Yoga For You!!

Hi Friends,

I am Madhubala,Thanks for the Yoga pdf file.

Thank you,
    Madhubala

3. shivanithakur

shivanithakur Silver IL'ite

Re: Does yoga helps in losing weight!!!!!!!

Hi,
    I agree that yoga helps lot in reducing weight. Pl. explain the exact way of pranayam.

Thanks
    Shivani:wave

4. sweety

sweety New IL'ite

Hey

Definetely yoga helps in reducing weight as well as it even tones our body. Along with yoga if u do praanaayaamam (kapaalabaathi) u can find better results. What i heard is , kapaalabaathi praanaayaamam shows you immediate results. To these, if u eat only healthy food u can find results pretty soon. Make sure that u drink atlest 10 glasses of water and reduce the intake of salt.

Even i am trying to lose weight. I am doing yoga as well as workout.

GOOD LUCK

bye

5. pratimagp

pratimagp New IL'ite

Hi all

defineltely Yoga helps in reducing weight in a healthy and stable way

Do Suryanamaskaar(12 steps) in Yoga ,daily for about min 8times at a time, it is the exercise for ur whole body,
    and praanayamam , in Yoga these 2 if u do daily , u will get goodresult, if u r doing these 2, u will get control over food also, the automatically why dont u loose weight?
    and one more thing, drink more water.

takecare

pratima

HEALTH IS WEALTH

6. padmaiyangar

padmaiyangar Bronze IL'ite

Best Time of Yoga Asana Postures

Best Time of Yoga Asana Postures

Time - What is the best time for practising Asanas?
    The early morning is the best time to perform Asanas. It is to be kept in mind that after lunch upto 4 hours, no Asana, Mudra or Pranayama should be practised. For people having weak gastric fire, even four hours gap is not sufficient. They should start practice at least 5 to 6 hours after lunch.
    Bath
    Normally, bathing before Asanas is considered favourable. For people who sweat more and also is the sweat stinks, bathing after the performance of Asanas should be considered preferable. However, the time gap between the Asanas and the bath should be minimum 30 minutes.
    Diet
    With regard to diet, )
    Regarding constituents of food, :
    "The good grains, wheat, rice, barley and Shastika (a special variety of rice), milk, ghee, sugar, butter, sugarcandy, honey, dry ginger, the Patolaka fruit (Paravara-a kind of cucumber), the five leafy vegetables, green gram and rain water collected when the sun is in Magha (the tenth lunar mansion) etc. are considered to be wholesome food for advanced Yogins." (H.P. 1/62.)
    Place
    Clean air is definitely better and hygienic. While doing Asanas, we should avoid artificial air. The place chosen should be such that the disturbance is to the minimum. .

What should be the sequence of Asanas and Pranayama? The answer to the above question is so simple and clear that there is no room for confusion,
    . Normally Asanas are done before Pranayama.
    Duration of an Asana
    This depends on the availability of time. Keeping in view the availability of time, a man of normal health should practise Asanas for 45 minutes daily and Pranayama for 15 to 20 minutes daily. If Kriyas are to be practised, 30 minutes should be devoted for them. In Case of Diseases: Can Asanas be performed during a disease or not, is another common question. a teacher must be consulted and it should always be kept in mind that the Asanas are performed very cautiously when you are a patient.
    If we do not feel like doing Asanas?
    In that case, we should try to analyze the reason for our laziness and try to see whether the mind is wandering or we are feeling fatigue or lethargy. We should know our mind and accordingly we should train it.The good effects of Asanas should always be borne in mind.In case of unavoidable circumstances, the practice may be dropped for the time being. Otherwise the normal yogic routine should not be broken. Remember, health is the foremost necessity for a person to encounter the present day atmosphere and society successfully.
    Asanas and Other Physical Exercises : there should be at least 30 minutes gap between Asanas and other types of physical exercises.
    Asanas and Physical Efficiency : The question is common : What is the effect of Asanas on physical efficiency? It has been clearly stated in Hatha Pradipika that Asanas bring mental as well as physical steadiness, health and a feeling of lightness (H. P. 1/17).
    the efficiency of the body and concentration of mind increases by the practice of Asanas.

Asanas and the Welfare of Sportsmen :zif one wants to be benefitted by Asanas and Pranayama one should lead a disciplined life.

Limitation for Women : Which Asanas are not to be done by women and when? Normally, during the first three months of pregnancy Uddiyana, Pascimatana, Yoga-mudra , Ardha-Matsyendrasana and all those Asanas which give pressure in the abdominal region should be avoided by women. So also, during menstrual periods no Asana should be practised by women, because the undue pressure exerted during Asanas may cause increased bleeding. And women should practise Mayurasana only under proper supervision and guidance of a trained teacher.

1 person likes this.
  7. kanaka Raghavan

kanaka Raghavan IL Hall of Fame

Which is better-Doing yoga or Walking

Dear friends
    I am confused about which of two is good.Some say yoga helps in rejunavating .Walking is good for the heart.I am doing both.I would my friends to help me in this regard.

8. arch174

arch174 Senior IL'ite

Re: Which is better-Doing yoga or Walking

HI,
    u r great..doing both:clap
    yoga is for every part of body..internal organs/external..mind & soul..in yoga there is an asana called SHAVasana which is said to be the most DIFFICULT asana:confused:
    If we think inwards we can understand why..maybe u got ur answer by now..
    Walking is best exercise as long as we r alive..from age 1>>>

9. srilak

srilak Senior IL'ite

HI,

I tried both but I have to loose so much of weight so now I am doing exercise in jym.

If u ask me I say nature walk is the best thing to do. U can enjoy nature's beuty and if u have a partner then u can have a nice chat. In the end u will be done with your exercise and poltics with your friend.

Coming to yoga.........I am not that much fan of this....I do yoga once in a week. I don't know somehow I couldn't keep my mind in one place. Sometime when I do Surya namaskara, boat asanas ..........I think of my studies and other stuff what I have to do in the day....In the end meditation part, I sometime think of what to cook on the day....I don't know somehow I couldn't Idealize my brain..May be I have to grow older to calm down my brain.

So my vote is to walking.

10. jaishree9

jaishree9 Silver IL'ite

Hi Both the things have their own advantage & doing both wud have additive good effects on ur body. So if u can do both keep up . Hats off to u.Walking briskly for 30 -45 mts daily keeps heart fit & healthy . It is said that daily walking is daily angipolasty of heart ( removal of blocks )Yoga are also good as they give control of breathing & rejuveinate every internal organs if u r doing correctly. Along with it eating high fiber,low fat diet is like a bonus after a raise in salery.