1. Want to get periods immediately before attending a religious event? Check this out for tips...
    Dismiss Notice

Yoga For Sugar

Discussion in 'Keep Fit & Maintain Shape' started by nakshatra1, Sep 15, 2018.

1. nakshatra1

nakshatra1 Platinum IL'ite

For yoga work for sugar / diabetes ? Is there any yoga asanas we can do everyday for health. I am.notnhavinh time to join any yoga teaching . Would love to hear experiences of others from yoga.

2. Laks09

Laks09 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

@Srama - Do you have any tips on specific yoga poses for diabetes?

Srama and nakshatra1 like this.
  3. SinghManisha

SinghManisha Platinum IL'ite

Diet is key here. Lot of veggies , barley . Bulgur wheat maybe.

nakshatra1 likes this.
  4. vidhyalakshmid

vidhyalakshmid IL Hall of Fame

Hi Nakshatra,
    Frog posture or manduka asana will help in controlling the insulin level.
    Sit in vajrasana with thumb folded inside the other 4 fingers. Put these in front of your stomach slightly pressing and lean forward to touch the forehead on the ground. Repeat 5,6 times. Search for sequential instructions to do the asana. Hope it helps.

nakshatra1 likes this.
  5. nakshatra1

Sorry for the typos in the question ..

6. Srama

Srama Finest Post Winner

Dear @nakshatra1,

As you may very well know diet is the key. Remember that while yoga can help, you also need some strength building aerobic activities. As a yoga teacher, my experience has been that a regular yoga practice actually helps with a better diet automatically. At least I notice a big change in how my body reacts/responds to various foods and even the quantity of food. I almost always teach Ashtanga yoga and even just doing the sun salutations (A & B) will help you in the long term. It takes about 15 minutes of your time and if done properly can ave you pouring sweat in that time! I would urge you to have a regular practice. What I have been taught is that you ready your body with sun salutations for asana and asana is practiced/mastered to prepare body for meditation.

Now that unsolicited preaching part is done, please accept my apologies! Now, coming to your question, I am uncomfortable recommending a particular pose but sometimes believing that something will help is a good place to start. So keeping that in mind I post the most common asanas that show up when I look up various sources:

Gomukhasana
    upload_2018-9-15_20-17-8.png

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ardhamatsyndrasana

[​IMG]

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Halasana

upload_2018-9-15_20-22-45.png
    This is an advanced pose and you need to be careful while doing this pose.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

paschimottasana

upload_2018-9-15_20-23-47.png
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I hope these poses will help you get started. Best wishes.

Image source: internet :)

Last edited: Sep 16, 2018
    Rajijb and nakshatra1 like this.
  7. Srama

Srama Finest Post Winner

Dear Laks,

You make smile every time you tag me. I get super excited and spend some time ruminating, looking up information and talking with fellow teachers - I love all of this. It makes me a better teacher. So thank you for that opportunity!

Laks09 likes this.
  8. nakshatra1

Thank you @SinghManisha yes , diet is definitwly the most important .trying to cut down on white rice and eat more vegetables .let's see if I can incorporate more changes as I go.

@vidhyalakshmid thank you so much . I will definitely try the asana . Hopefully it will work for me .

@Srama (and @Laks09 ) thank you so much . Such a detailed reply . Yes I do Surya namaskar sometimes , need to get more regular. Doing diet changes too .@srama I will check out your other posts on IL to learn more about yoga . As you said it should be a holistic approach .

9. Srama

Srama Finest Post Winner

Dear @nakshatra1,

Thank you for taking it in the spirit my response was posted. I appreciate it. I also want to add that I will be happy to answer any questions you may have going forward as well.

I find it hard myself to have a regular practice or a regular work out routine. Every time I fall off, it takes a couple of more weeks to get back on and the cycle continues. I tell myself that the only thing I can control is showing up for the work out in the morning. Rest of the day goes as it wants. So I do my best to get up and head out - at 5 am even in cold winters.

A friend of mine who cannot go outside of the house to work out has a routine...she has her yoga mat spread out in the bathroom! The idea is she has to move the mat to get into the shower and when she tries to move the mat, she feels compelled to do at least surya namaskaras or feel guilty. Seems to be working for her!!

Last edited: Sep 16, 2018
    nakshatra1, Rajijb and Laks09 like this.
  10. Srama

Srama Finest Post Winner

Also just a note, the mandukasana that @vidhyalakshmid speaks of looks like this. Every pose you do has a sequence built before you get into the pose like she suggests. You may want to look into that. Yoga journal can help you with that.

upload_2018-9-16_10-40-50.png [​IMG] upload_2018-9-16_10-42-51.png

Mandukasana traditionally also looks like this - way more difficult...she is not talking of this pose.

upload_2018-9-16_10-43-53.png

Can't stop, can I?