Yamunotsav

Discussion in 'Delhi & NCR' started by JuhiAgarwal, May 15, 2009.

1. JuhiAgarwal

JuhiAgarwal Senior IL'ite

Yamunotsav is an annual festival organized by Swechha (We for Yamuna) in collaboration with British Council, India. The event commemorates the occasion of World Environment Day.

Yamunotsav celebrates the undying spirit of the River Yamuna and inspires people to pay attention towards the crucial environmental problems. It is a cultural festival to revive our relationship with the environment.

I was fortunate to visit the Yamunotsav 2008, which was presented jointly by Swechha and Nokia Siemens Network. The event sought to achieve a confluence of Art, Innovation and Environment. The occasion brought together environment enthusiasts, bureaucrats, media, artists, civil society leaders, corporate houses, patrons and friends to acknowledge and celebrate the need to wake up for our environment.

2. raginisharma

raginisharma Senior IL'ite

Yamunotsav is an occasion to gather artists, environment enthusiasts, civil society leaders and the media to celebrate and acknowledge the potent combination of the energy and enthusiasm of people mixed with the knowledge of the civil society leaders and their wisdom on issues on environment.

I was lucky to be present at Yamunotsav 2008. The event started with a debut performance by Phi(re), an young band from Vasant Valley School. It was followed by the launch of Green the Gap, a one-stop shop for environment friendly services, solutions and goods. Amidst re-creating an ambience of music, thoughts and trees, Yamunotsav 2008 brought a special address by Sunita Narain, Director of Centre for Science and Environment.

3. keerat45

keerat45 Senior IL'ite

Juhi, you have indeed done a great post. I too had visited the Yamunotsav in 2007. Dont really remember who had done the sponsoring, but the spectacular work of arts and the mesmerising beauty of them were breattaking. I hope to visit again soon. Though I did find the media's there but the time I had there was worthwhile.

Can anyone tell me more about this festival and the arts?

4. piyagupta

piyagupta Senior IL'ite

I was lucky to visit Yamunotsav in the year 2008. The occasion saw Raghu Dixit (Indian Ocean), Surojit Dev (Them Clones) and Valentine Shipley jammed together for the first time ever to celebrate the cause of Environment.

The 2009 Yamunotsav is scheduled for June 5, Friday. The venue will be the India Habitat Centre at New Delhi.

I would suggest all of you to try and visit Yamunotsav once. Those who are aware about environment issues and love to do something about them should definitely make it a point to visit Yamunotsav.

Can any of you share more about Yamunotsav?

5. aahna

aahna New IL'ite

It is an occasion to bring together environment enthusiasts, artists, bureaucrats, media, corporate houses, civil society leaders, friends and patrons to acknowledge and celebrate the powerful combination of people’s enthusiasm and energy, mixed with the knowledge and potential of the civil society leaders, and wisdom on issues of environment.
    The event would commence with a Debut performance by Phi(re), a young band from Vasant Valley School followed by the launch of Green the Gap – a one stop shop for environment friendly goods, services, and solutions.

6. anoushkapandit

anoushkapandit New IL'ite

Hey its great to learn about Yamunotsav. You ladies are lucky to have visited this festival last year. Incidently, its June 5th today, are you visiting the festival this year around?

By the way, do you think such festivals are successful in changing the mindset or reach out to the people and the industries, who actually pollute the Yamuna? I can't understand how celebrating Yamunotsav in India Habit Centre in Delhi and inviting bands to perform (all behind closed doors) can educate or make people aware of the environmental basics.

:idontgetit:

Please share your thoughts....