Xth exams too highly rated?

Discussion in 'News & Politics' started by rrpani, Dec 22, 2007.

1. rrpani

rrpani New IL'ite

tskMy kid is in Xth and I must say nowadays the kids and their parents are really taxed and that too so that you can get admission into a college.The school ,the tutions, the homework and the projects -they are literally sucked into it.I remember at our times no tutions ,no help from any source -just the school and their teachers was more than enough-is this because now teachers are more moneyminded ,not sincere or is it because the competition is more fierce now?

2. Meenaneelakantan

Meenaneelakantan Bronze IL'ite

Dear rrpani ma'am

Its because that there is some major flaw with our educational system:-(..
    Jus now i read Dr.Abdul Kalam ji's speech in one of the threads..In that he says we should stop blaming everything about our nation for whatever it is and should think what we can do about it.
    So if ever i create myself an opportunity of building and taking in charge of a school, i would surely make myself assured that no children comes to my school from their homes crying..
    And if this happens, the principal :evil: of the school in which i studied would surely be my first chief guest to show him what really a school means..
    I feel a school can be proclaimed to be a leaning institution only when each and every student of it finds joy and happiness while being under the roofs of it..

Love
    Meena

3. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

rpani,

No, Xth exams are not too highly rated. again this is my personal opinion. It is we as parents, who are putting too much pressure and giving too much importance to the results...

I also agree, the competition is so high, but who made it....the unrelented pressure from schools, parents...

Just relax..and give you child space he will surely perform his best.

4. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

Meena (hope you dont mind my calling you that..)

I saw your picture on ilmeet..you look familiar..do you frequent ranga library by any chance??

Then could not resist asking, was it prince school...you studied??:mrgreen:.

I fully agree with you regarding there is too much reforms needed in the system of education...

You cannot judge a child's capability with a few exams....there should be a better way of assessment....

Hope somewhere it starts changing......This year B.Com admission cut off was 95%....what will the student do ...

5. Meenaneelakantan

Dear Shanvy ma'am

Pls feel free to call me any way you want to..No issues at all..

Yes ma'am i used to come to ranga library. But its been long since i stepped in. Now a days i get books from Guindy platform stores.

And ofcourse your guess is not wrong..I studied in so called Prince,the great. Thank God i was behind bars only for four years. Even now i like myself to be called as a product of S.B.O.A than to be addressed as a product of Prince. I grew under the blissful shades of S.B.O.A, Madurai. The atmosphere was entirely different for me when i entered prince n would really come home crying daily for the first two months asking my mom n dad, "Why did you put me in this jail?"..It took time for me to get accustomed to that peculiar atmosphere without any extra curricular activities. There was not even a single sports period for us when i studied. Even though my beloved principals x students write about him in various websites he never cares about all that and continue doing his Hitler rule.
    There is no point in making state ranks every year without paving a room for proper exposure.

Ofcourse ma'am a student should not be judged by a few exams. Theory based learning should be converted into practical based learning. More of practical knowledge should be imparted. But many schools make their students a book worm and my great prince is the king in it. Hope n pray that everything should change about our educational system right from the bottom at the earliest.

6. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

Meena,

I just wanted one more qualification before i pass comment is it the madipakkam jail or the ullagaram jail...:confused:, there is one in nanganallur??. will ask a few more questions after you clear this one for me...

7. RamyaVaradharajan

RamyaVaradharajan Bronze IL'ite

Dear most rrpani ma'am,

I guess this thread would attract many posts. I will go by Shanthi madam's opinion..its the parents who gets tensed and go on the wrong side in pressuring their wards. But cannot blame them too since "competitiveness" takes the top place !! Parents want their children to be the master of all trades with an "A" grade in all subjects; without knowing their children's interests.

As rightly said, a three hour written test can never judge a child's aptitude. It should be the students who should rise up to voice their views. According to me, there need not be a CBSE, Higher secondary, Matriculation, Anglo Indian and what other different mixture of names we could pool in. A plethora of syllabuses exists. Why not just one which will ensure quality education at all the levels.

When I stepped into my college life, I could find that my friends from other states; especially from the north struggled with Math I and Math II. On listening to their background, i could make up that they either had a chance to take up Math or opt for Science. They did not have Math + Science in their Senior and Higher Secondary. (Though I am not aware of their syllabus now). Why these difficulties? Why such pressures on the young minds that needs to be molded ??

When will we implement our "role model" Abdul Kalam ji's dream ?? When will we envision his framework of India 2020 ?? Many around the corner say its just for word sake. Tears, i brush aside when i hear such negative thoughts. Aren't we responsible to make a "Developed India" ?? Is it not in our hands to change the existing situation ?? But how are the plans to be laid in order to achieve the same ?

Am left with lot of questions and i ask my inner mind to reveal the answers to rest in peace after a tiring day's work. But how can I, when am unable to figure out the solution?

NB : Ah.. Meenakshi.. started with your "Prince" stuff ??:queenbonkRant:crazy:wink:.. Chill da.. Now you are on the other side of the platform. At least the tough days behind the bars have gone.

And Shanthi ma'am.. Its the famous Nanganallur Prince which Meena was molded from.. ha ha ha ha ha ha ha...!!!!!

Regards
    RamyaVaradharajan

8. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

hi Ramya,

Hey i have a cousin whose son is studying in west..they are worried that he does not get the exposure like in the south...if you watch all the engineering colleges, you feel the north,west and east are slowly dripping down towards these...(that is why we have around 300 engineering colleges..when I was studying, there were 6-10 private engineering collegesshakeheadshakehead..don't go checking my age yaar...i am talking about early 90's)

CBSE,NCERT,IB,matriculation, GCSE,ICSE, Stateboard....but whatever is available, the pressure on the kids..is bad...we want our kids to excel in all, irrespective of whether the child wants it or not.....

Our education system has to change, and the yardstick to measure performance also has to be defined better....

It is our ideas about education that has to change. education is a way to learn to live life as a great human..and not a means to earn alone....maybe i am from a old school of thought..

but one thing is for sure, even if you take a poll in il, if everybody is honest, the percentage that says.. education is for human values, and becoming a better citizen for tomorrow...will be very low..

So everything from parents, schools, teachers, students should have a revamp in their ideas.....

Meena,

So you were from nanganallur...believe me when i say you were better off...when i see how is ullagaram and madipakkam......

9. Meenaneelakantan

Dear Shanti ma'am

The one which is at Ullagaram is New Prince.
    Yes i was lucky enough to get good teachers at least. But my principal used to scold even my teachers in front of all of us in the classroom when he comes for rounds. He thinks only what he does n says is right n does not care for others feelings. The plight of students of Prince college( am sorry even that is an higher extension of Prince school..) is even more worse. That college comes under Anna Univ's top ranking list every year but has got no campus placements.

You are not from an old school of thought ma'am but from a good school of thought. Think you stay very nearby. You are in finger tips with all the correct details. If you have seen me earlier,may be i too would have seen you somewhere here.

Love
    Meena

10. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

hi meena/ramya,

Ullagaram Prince and Madipakkam Prince are run by two brothers who have split..the stories you hear about how the teachers are treated, and how the students are treated..is really bad...I am told they cannot even celebrate their bday at school...

Meena, I have stopped buying too many books (i still buy some can't resist)..because of carbon prints...will write about it sometime later...you people being biotech students should be knowing about it more than me.

When i was a student, we were never asked to mug up, I can still teach my daughter and help a friend's son..because of the way it was taught to us... I am a ICSE student....my mother tongue is not hindi, but I can write in hindi well..that was the dedication with which my teachers taught me...they used encourage us a lot..I don't find that dedication now.....

A teacher can break/make a student.....his interest in a subject....

Yeah I stay very near, I am still a student..., I am dead the day i stop learning.......and my picture along with my husband is there in the faces behind the names and also in a previous ilmeet.....

We will discuss more on the same.....