1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Writer's Block

Discussion in 'Cheeniya's Senile Ramblings' started by Cheeniya, Dec 15, 2018.

1. Viswamitra

Viswamitra Finest Post Winner

Dear Cheeniya Sir,

Please forgive me if I am getting into territories that you don't like to write. Come to think of it, I feel you have way too much to write based on what I know about you. Once you write about them, humor comes with it like the lady buying vegetables also getting curry leaves with it for free.

1) Club and the members of the club
    2) New neighbors
    3) Past experiences with SBI
    4) Physician visits
    5) Your recovery from illness (with your sense of humor)
    6) More about Lizards and Cockroaches
    7) Beard and its maintenance effort
    8) Saloon experiences
    9) Triplicane experiences
    10) College experiences

I know I am missing many more.

Cheeniya likes this.
  2. Cheeniya

Cheeniya Super Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Dear Viswa
    You are like Jambavan to me and I am Hanuman if not in capabilities at least in looks
    Sri

3. HariLakhera

HariLakhera Platinum IL'ite

Dear Shri Cheeniya,
    You are an accomplished writer. I do not know if you ever thought of giving a book shape to your writings for the wider audience. As for readers, I am tempted to post one of my blogs posted long back another group.

4. Cheeniya

@HariLakhera
    Dear Hariji
    That's a huge tribute coming from a stalwart like you.I have never considered taking my writing more seriously than I am doing now. Thank you for the suggestion. I'll eagerly await your blog of which you have made a mention.
    Sri

5. HariLakhera

HariLakhera Platinum IL'ite

My Pleasure. The blog has been posted. Will be happy to have your considered feedback.

6. kkrish

kkrish IL Hall of Fame

@Cheeniya Sir
    If you can write such an article with a writer's block imagine when the block goes away!
    I have been your ardent fan and had unearthed your writings from long ago.

You mentioned readership decline sir. Just take a look at my articles in the space series. You will feel much better. I can count the number of feedback within five.

Does not faze me; I keep writing because every I enter a world that takes me away from day-to-day demands, from depressing news in the media, from negativity, and above all an awe for creation itself. I come out of that world, energized with more respect for this life the Almighty has blessed me with.

Praying for your block to move away so that you may continue to give us good gems sprinkled with humor and wisdom entwined.

shyamala1234 and Cheeniya like this.
  7. Cheeniya

@kkrish
    kk, reading this, I remember my dear mother. When the whole world would be making fun of my overweight, my mother would lament about my thinning body. She would advise me to eat well when I might not have enough room in my tummy even for a glass of water!
    That's a very liberal tribute. I have often wondered about the genesis of the word 'fan'. When I was living in a house without electricity during my school days, we always used a hand held fan made of bamboo which would give us some relief in the sticky weather. Similarly fans give us a lot of relief when our market goes down! They say that even the waves in a sea increase multifold when it has a lot of people watching it. In Tamil we call it ஆள் கண்ட சமுத்திரம் (a sea watched by a lot of fans)
    I cannot thank you enough for your encouraging words.
    कर्मण्येवाधिकारस्ते मा फलेषु कदाचन !

kkrish likes this.
  8. Srama

Srama Finest Post Winner

Dear Cheeniya Sir,

If you have to start anywhere, start with New year's sir, not as a resolution but as a start you know :)

Hopefully you have worked clearing that writer's block both with the help of google and your doctor! Oh wait, I hope after all the responses you have received, you not only feel perked up but eager to use that pointer more effectively!

Enjoyed this writer's writing about the writer's block. This snippet clearly shows that it is all cleared up! Here's wishing you and everyone at home a Happy New Year and looking forward to reading more of your writings.

Last edited: Dec 28, 2018
  9. Cheeniya

@Srama
    My dear Sabi
    Reading this reminded me of a story I read once.
    This is it:

Dakota tribal wisdom says that when you discover you are riding a dead horse, the best strategy is to dismount.
    However, government bureaucracies often try other strategies with dead horses, including the following:
    1. Buying a stronger whip.
    2. Changing riders.
    3. Saying things like "This is the way we always have ridden this horse."
    4. Arranging to visit other sites to see how they ride dead horses.
    5. Increasing the standards to ride dead horses.
    6. Appointing a committee to study the dead horse.
    7. Waiting for the horse's condition to improve from this temporary downturn.
    8. Providing additional training to increase riding ability.
    9. Passing legislation declaring "This horse is not dead."
    10. Blaming the horse's parents.
    11. Acquiring additional dead horses for increased speed.
    12. Declaring that "No horse is too dead to beat."
    13. Providing additional funding to increase the horse's performance.
    14. Commissioning a study to see if private contractors can ride it cheaper.
    15. Removing all obstacles in the dead horse's path.
    16. Taking bids for a state-of-the art dead horse.
    17. Declaring the horse is "better, faster and cheaper" dead.
    18. Revising the performance requirements for horses.
    19. Saying the horse was procured with cost as an independent variable.
    20. Raising taxes (any excuse will do).

And if all else fails:
    21. Promote the dead horse to a supervisory position

Thank you for trying to get the best out of me. I hope you succeed!
    Wish you and your family a glorious New Year!
    Sri

Last edited: Dec 30, 2018
    rgsrinivasan likes this.
  10. rgsrinivasan

rgsrinivasan IL Hall of Fame

Nice thread @Cheeniya sir. I do get in to this tangle quite a few times.
    I try writing and rewriting and end up so empty and frustrated. There are quite a few occasions where I wrote full posts but clicked on the "x" button in the browser instead of saving it, as I just simply felt them to be no good. Perhaps I should have done that to many, some readers may feel. :)

And reading the last line of your post brought an added smile as I remembered one episode of the Bugs and Daffy show, where Bugs Bunny, the rabbit was already projected as a super star and people applaud it so much for even coming before them whereas the Daffy Duck will try doing several acts, to which there would only be a lukewarm response. You are like the Bugs Bunny here, so popular that each of the word you type will be read several times and praised for its choice and placement.

In your case, I feel that its more due to what gets your attention first instead. Your light prose and great choice of words brighten the subject so much that others envy the one that you are engaged with. Wish you write many more posts, and continue to make us happier. -rgs

Last edited: Jan 7, 2019
    Cheeniya likes this.