1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Would you like to join the IL team? See open jobs!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. What can you teach someone online? Tell us here!
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If someone taught you via skype, what would you want to learn? Tell us here!
    Dismiss Notice

Write your Obituary

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by roopadadia, Dec 24, 2007.

1. roopadadia

roopadadia Silver IL'ite

Last week we had a training session on the famous "7 Habits of Highly Effective People"

There have been two dominant theories of achieving success:

The Personality Ethic and
    The Character Ethic

According to the Personality Ethic, there are skills and techniques one may learn and a public image, personality and attitude one may develop that result in success

Whereas

The Character Ethic sees individual developmentn as a long-tem process bearing results according to the law of the Harvest.

While discussing further on the topics, the trainer said the next exercise will be wwe will write our own obituary. We were all stunned and confused :confused:

The trainer said: Close your eyes and do as i say. We all sat in silence eyes closed.

Think yourself to be dead
    See people around you
    They may all be saying something
    Now imagine or think what you would like each one of them to say about you.

He gave us a list, what we would like so and so to say about us. This is the list:

Spouse
    Children
    Parents
    Siblings
    Relatives
    Colleagues
    Friends
    Neighbours
    Society

He made us write what we would like them to say about us. Then he said review what you have written. Are you anywhere close in your actions or behaviour with those people which may prompt them to say what you want them to.

If no, start working towards it.

To make it more clear, he gave an example:

One person, always used to say if i die my wife will say "Thank God"
    So he was asked why do you say so?? He said i fight with my wife everyday...she keeps reminding me of things i need to carry when i leave the house and i don't like that...so the trainer asked him and what happens on the day she is not around to remind you, he said if forget half the things at home...so who is wrong his wife or he...from that day he changed himself.

So, my dear friends where are we on what we would like to hear after we leave this world??

Please do this small exercise and see how really good or otherwise are you. If not start working towards a positive you.

All the Best

Roopa.

2. kanaka

kanaka Bronze IL'ite

Here lies a person who always believed in uttering the truth even if she didn't like the person in question. She was short tempered but good at heart. Unforu ately she was for ever a victim of flattery. Very intelligent but should have been a bit discreet. Always stubborn.

Good organiser but intolerat to other's mistakes.

Person who will be remembered by her daughter. Stood like a ock when friends started misguiding her daughter. She was a lone fighter.

Always she fought a lon battle. But ever helpful to others.

May her soul get a better birth which would fulfil her desire of being a musician and a person capable of being a productive to the society. kanaka:coffee

3. roopadadia

roopadadia Silver IL'ite

Dear Kanaka,

Thanks for dropping in. I am sure it must have been an effort on your part to write this.

You are the first one to reply of the 104 views. So :hatsoff to you. I know the title seems to be frightening...but if we can over come our fears then this is the right path for us to realise what we are and what we want to be.

This also gives us an insight and we can analyse ourselves and make changes for better.

Today everyone is behind amassing wealth and fame...but in this run we don't realise that when we leave this world, it is not these materialistic things that are coming with us but its the deeds that go with us. The theory of karma.

Now work towards what you want to achieve. All the best.

Warm regards
    Roopa.

Warm regards
    Roopa.