1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Would you use spanking to punish children?

Discussion in 'Schoolgoers & Teens' started by Naom, Sep 9, 2013.

1. Naom

Naom New IL'ite

Or other physical discipline - especially when other methods failed?

2. lifeisajourney

lifeisajourney Silver IL'ite

naughty corner/ thinking chair ....

3. wamsmom

wamsmom Senior IL'ite

When I was a child and I did something wrong, I was spanked. I think I turned out alright. I have various friends and family who use the "time out" option and, I'll be honest, the kids are terrors. Thank goodness they are still small because I can only imagine how they're going to be when they're teenagers. I myself have four children and my oldest three have been spanked. They realize that I love them, but a good spanking sets them right and they get the message. I'm not saying to go straight to spanking. My method is the three warning rule: when you see them about to do something wrong, you tell them firmly "Don't (whatever the act is)"...I get louder the second time, and then louder than that the third time. They've been given 3 chances...(this is them testing you, by the way, because they'll probably look at you and look at what they're about to do). After all of this, they get the spanking.

A rule of thumb is to take into consideration their age and what you know they can understand. For example, my two autistic sons can understand certain things...I DO NOT punish them for what they can't understand. I keep a very close eye on them so that I can take the moment to patiently condition them to do the right thing (no spanking); but if they do something wrong that I know they understand is wrong...3 warnings, and then a spanking. I can count on one hand how many times my 7-year-old daughter has been spanked. She does not have autism, and I have followed the 3 warning rule since she was 2 year old. I'd give her the warnings with "no", and I'd give her a tap on her "Pull-up"..it was enough to scare her into not getting into what she shouldn't be into. I don't mean to brag, but I've received nothing but good feedback from her teachers since preschool. She displays compassion, and she is very well behaved (it's a joy to take her anywhere).

Please don't think of spanking as not loving your child. I have spanked my kids, but I shower them with affection all of the other times. They know that I love them more than life and that makes them confident, but they know I'll be on it when they step out of line. Best of luck!

5 people like this.
  4. nuss

nuss Platinum IL'ite

No, I can't justify it in my head.

5. attitudegirl

attitudegirl Platinum IL'ite

If u ask me if I would like to use spanking as punishment to set my kids straight, I would answer no. But if u ask me have I spanked my kids, i would answer, yes..

Who would like to spank their kids??

No matter how much patience I try to maintain, it is just not possible each and every time. It gets on my nerves sometimes.. I am also human being.. And after repeated warnings, if they dont behave, slight tap on the shoulder brings them back to senses... Though it is very very rare that i spank, just my stern voice gives the alarm bells to them.. And if I raise my voice, its doom.. So its very very rare that I give any physical punishment to them.. (Trying to recollect when I spanked them last, but cant..)

But for sure, I dont feel guilty for the time i did spank them..

Last edited: Sep 9, 2013
  6. tuffyshri

tuffyshri Gold IL'ite

I dont know if it is correct or not. But I have spanked my DD a lot of times. In fact I realised it and have reduced it to only for necessary actions. In fact that kind of presses a reset button in my DD. But the Thumb rule is I am strict towards her while my DH is very relaxed to her. That way we balance it out.

These days as she is growing, am trying the grounding type of punishment. But feel so sorry for her sometimes that I reduce the grounding time. She already is an introvert and I think this grounding stuff is not for her.

7. Mahajanpragati

Mahajanpragati Platinum IL'ite

no,basically stern look & little sharp tone works..............just when I am in posture of raising hand to slap i immedialtely feel so guilty & like a looser who is exploiting defenseless ,innocent kids that I stop myself.....