Would you send your child to a boarding school?

Discussion in 'Weekly Quick Polls' started by Laxmi, Mar 3, 2008.

Would you send your child to a boarding school?

1. Yes

5 vote(s)
    10.0%
  2. No

38 vote(s)
    76.0%
  3. May be

7 vote(s)
    14.0%
  1. Laxmi

Laxmi Administrator Staff Member Platinum IL'ite

Poll for 2nd Mar. 2008 to 8th Mar. 2008

When does the need to send a child to a boarding school arise?

If both the parents are working and are not able to give the children proper care / If the parents are in a small town and they look out for big schools in the cities / If either of the parent is in a transferable job / If the parents are staying abroad and the children have to take up their education in India.....

Whatever be the situation detailed above, the poll topic is will you send your child to a boarding school. The children going to a hostel for their college education is different as they are grown up and knows to differentiate between the right and the wrong. But sending them at younger age when they are in the schooling days is different.

Cast your votes and let us know your comments too.

2. krishnaamma

krishnaamma Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Dear Laxmi,

Just now I saw your reply in the other thread. Thank you so much for explaning me about the 'thread story'. :thumbsup
    Comming to this thread. Never I will not send my son to any boarding school.
    My husband worked in central government and where ever he goes, we used to take <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:smarttags" /><st1:place>Krishna</st1:place> with us only. For 1 year we left him with my mother because of his illness. We just put him in a near by school in Nagaur, Rajasthan. From that he changed his schools 6 times, till we reach Saudi. Now he is shinning like any thing.:-D

படிக்கிறகுழந்தைஎங்கிருந்தாலும்படிக்கும். Is our principle. Many parents will not accept this. They struggle themselves and struggle the children also. Pour children.

I will not believe only on schools and the syllabus. It is mostly depends upon the child’s capacity only.

After coming to 8<SUP>th</SUP> only we can decide about the syllabus or school. Even at that time one of us (mostly mother) must stay with them and take care of them. It is a very critical period of their life( teen age) and it is not advisable to leave them in hostel. It is my opinion.

3. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

Laxmi,

Good topic.For me boarding school is a no no.

My Daughter is right now in 7th and she has seen 7 schools..but has adjusted well.with supportive parents a child can do well anywhere.

the school plays a vital role..but there are things like the child needing the parents in the formative years...

A big no no for boarding until college.....

4. latamurali

latamurali Gold IL'ite

Dear Laxmi mam

My son Krishna is studying in 3rd standard, being single child , he is so adamant / wild/.......(.like iam telling this not to complain about him.)..........like sometimes we will hav a thought of putting him in boarding school for jus one year...............( my sisters used to pester me to do so imm'ly)............we feel, then only he will learn certain things, value of relatives/money/timing and evrything..............like Boarding school will be strict and they will train the child very well in all aspects and children will also obey them...........some child wont listen to parents but teachers...........ITS MY 2 CENTS.....

Even sterday night we had big discussions abt this........OFCOURSE I PERSONALLY FEEL NOT TO SEND HIM...........EVEN THOUGH I SCOLD HIM , BEAT HIM TO THE CORE.........IAM DOING ALL FOR HIS GOOD ONLY AND I NEED HIM WITH ME AND AROUND ME...........

But sometimes i feel like sending him for one year........bonk:confused2::confused2::?:cry::cry:.

5. Varloo

Varloo Gold IL'ite

When I used to read the books written by Enid Blyton about the boarding schools, I have yearned to be in one such school. Reason is simple-mother was a very strict person.
    As I grew older, I knew the pros and cons of being in a boarding school. In one hand, the child will develop many qualities like puncutality, personal hygiene, takin care of things etc.., on the other hand, the child will become too independent and may not depend on the parents on emotional support also (which will make the parents feel that they are not respected). The child may feel out of place when it comes home on vacation and may find it difficult to adjust.
    I had a dream of putting my son in the Sainik School, but that dream is not to be realised due to my son's health. Let alone boarding school, I could not even leave him with any one during his childhood.

6. sugarnspice

sugarnspice Bronze IL'ite

I went to a boarding school, and I think some time in a boarding school is good for a child, it teaches them the value of time, and to do things for themselves.
    While teaching them indiependence, it does not alienate them from their parents (this is my experience)
    I would love to send my daughter to a boarding school just for a year. But my husband cannot spend a day without her.

7. sajita

sajita New IL'ite

Dear Laxmi madam...

Children are the Gift of God. They should be treated with utmost care and love. Boarding schools may bring up children with punctuality, independence and responsiblity. But emotional support is what they needed at their growing stage. Only parents can give that support to them at that time. They can advise them and guide them. Parents only knew the true feelings of their child.

As far as Iam concerned, I disagree with people sending to the Boarding school. Once they grew up, they can decide and know the right and wrong. At that point, they can choose a hostel for their higher studies.

Regards,
    Sajita.

8. Oviya

Oviya Silver IL'ite

Dear Laxmi,

I don't want to do that as the following 2 great things will be missed;

The pleasure to watch them growing and

The love and guidance they need in the formative years.

Love,
    Oviya.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2008
  9. vidhyalakshmid

vidhyalakshmid IL Hall of Fame

Hi Laxmi,

I will not send my daughter to boarding school.. I like to watch her everyday.
    As somebody rightly said we can miss their growth. My opinion is we
    have to cherish and nourish them at home itself.

10. vase

vase Senior IL'ite

No; That is the answer from me.

As LataMurali had written, I too had the thought of sending my 1st son (only child at that time) who was 5 or 6 years old to Sainik school from 6th standard; reason - he was hyperactive. But when I had my 2nd son soon after, the whole thing changed. My two sons are the best buddies now and the enjoy each other's company :)
    Now I wonder how on earth I had the thought initially:-(!!!

So, a BIG NO...My 2centsMy 2cents

Cheers