1. The Great Big Must Read List : Find Interesting Book Suggestions
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Would You Like To Meet Your Favorite Author?

Discussion in 'Book Lovers' started by Rihana, Oct 29, 2018.

1. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Most of us have a favorite author or more than one.

If one of your favorite authors is alive, would you like to meet him? If he's not with us anymore, would you have liked to meet him?

If no, why wouldn't you like to meet?
    If yes, what would you ask, and what do you hope will happen in the meeting?

nandinimithun and Amica like this.

2. MalStrom

MalStrom IL Hall of Fame

I would, just to gush over my favorite characters and to ask them to please never stop writing. One book a year is not enough!

Rihana and Amica like this.
  3. Amica

Amica IL Hall of Fame

Nope. I don't like meeting authors, artists, celebrities. For me, meeting them detracts from the magic they create.

OP, how about you?

4. Ouroboros

Ouroboros Silver IL'ite

Totally! Absolutely! Crashingly!
    I would've baffled Siddhartha Mukherjee:

You are the knight of all my maladies.
    You are the victor in all my genes.

Dude, marry me!

upload_2018-10-29_10-18-51.png

Last edited: Oct 29, 2018
    VidhyaVi and Rihana like this.
  5. salad

salad Gold IL'ite

Would love to meet J.K.Rowling to ask how she imagined Harry potter? I mean how ? Where it came from?

There are few classic regional language writers who passed away. I wish if they wrote many more books which I could never finish off.

Anant pai, Toms are few among them.

Rihana likes this.
  6. Rihana

You mentioned characters... I would like to meet some characters from the books. If I met an author, I'd half expect the character to pop out from somewhere. : )

I met author Amy Tan while she was more active and I an avid reader of her novels examining mother-daughter relationships. Was a major disappointment. She turned out to be like any Chinese woman I might run into at Safeway. : ) Was kind of like kindergarten kid disappointed to see teacher in the store and realizing that no teacher doesn't sleep and live in the classroom.

Thank you for asking. : ) My answer is an answer I don't much encourage. : ) "It depends."

Jane Austen: Would have liked to meet with her. But when I am really old and done reading her books at various stages of my life. High tea in the lawns of an English countryside home.
    Chitra Bannerjee Divakaruni: On Amtrak's Coast Starlight Train. On the journey when we do not have scenic side seats. Some questions about some of her books.
    Indu Sundaresan: Not just meet, but more like be part of her research for a book.

Wouldn't want to meet: Mark Twain, Enid Blyton, Nora Roberts, Anna Quindlen.

Amica likes this.
  7. VidhyaVi

VidhyaVi Bronze IL'ite

I would have liked to meet writer Sujataha whose actual name was Rangarajan. His book, Eppodhum Penn ( A woman forever) is a diamond. I would have asked for his autograph on the copy I had bought some time ago.

The content of the book is so good that o would like to recommend it to everyone, male or female.

Rihana likes this.
  8. Rihana

I was reading an article on what he does on Sunday's. And where........ : ) One of his issues has an intriguing name.

The HP magic never worked on me. Tried reading the first book 4-5 times over 3-4 years. Very odd considering I managed to get through Hunger Games to be able to discuss it with child. Would still like to meet Rowling for her rags to riches personal journey.

Regional language writers reminded me of all the Hindi writers whose work we got to study in 9th and 10th grades. Prem Chand, Suryakant Tripathi Nirala, Dharamvir Bharathi, Dinkar. Glad teacher made us write and memorize a summary about each one's life. Would definitely have liked to meet them all in a lekakh-sammelan (writers meeting).

salad likes this.
  9. Rihana

Have heard a lot about him. Is there a particular English translation that is better than others?

VidhyaVi likes this.
  10. poovai

poovai Platinum IL'ite

I am big fan of Indian History. Read lot of the history novels when I was growing up; cannot express the feeling as if I was living in that era while I was reading the books, especially the 'kalki' books. Last I read, 'udayar' series by BalaKumaran.

I like to meet Indu for her, Taj Triology by Indu Sundaresan.

Mostly, we come across men as the history novel writers.

She would have spent many many years of research in writing those books, what a dedication. A good story teller. She also lives here, may be around same age group. I love to meet her in person.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2018