Would you encourage your child in a non-conventional career?

Discussion in 'Weekly Quick Polls' started by Laxmi, Jun 21, 2009.

Would you encourage your child in a non-conventional career?

1. Yes

25 vote(s)
    73.5%
  2. No

9 vote(s)
    26.5%
  1. Laxmi

Laxmi Administrator Staff Member Platinum IL'ite

Poll for June 21st to June 28th 2009

Hello ILites,

During our regular Saturday evening Moms get-together we were discussing about IIT coaching and FIIT -JEE courses. Are we parents so preconceived about conventional careers like Medicine, Engineering, Chartered Accountancy etc.
    Would we encourage our children in non-conventional career in Painting, Fine Arts, Fashion Designing, study of wild life, marine study etc.

Let us not get into cliched mode and be frank in taking up the poll.

2. aparajithaa

aparajithaa Bronze IL'ite

If they are interested in arts
    well why not
    absolutely kids choice
    but one thing i will tell them
    earn your bread and butter
    and if you are still confident go for anything you want

nice question

:cheers

3. SriVidya75

SriVidya75 Platinum IL'ite

ok my catch is the same as aparajitha here....

first i want to see an action plan or atleast a case study as to why they are interested, what is the future in it, how they would deal with the job market, earn money and live comfortably...

if they know and if they are passionate about what they want to study and get into am sure kids would do their own research and followup...if someone has already done this basic search / info gathering I am open to their ideas and interests and support them totally

4. rekhatj

rekhatj Senior IL'ite

I would definitely encourage him/her in their area of interest and would try my level best to see that they are in the top in that field.

But before that i will make sure they attain minimum level of education.

My DH would be more supportive in this decision because he is very much interested in sports and even now also plays cricket against other SW companies and is a very good bowler and batsmen. He even plays Volleyball. My FIL is very strict towards studies else his profession would have been defnitely SPORTS.. May be..he would have been in our Indian Cricket Team :wink:

Rekha

5. sundaribhaskar

sundaribhaskar Bronze IL'ite

hi,

choosing career depends on various factors:

1. CHILD INTEREST.
    2. depends on the established profession the father is in , whether the child can take on if interested.
    3. The family position.
    4. Non conventional area in my view are more of hobby oriented.
    hence depending on factors and situation i would encourage my child for conventional career.
    regards

sundari bhaskar

6. archu1981

archu1981 Silver IL'ite

yes..im for sure..but only one thng..they should be able to earn theire bread and butter..and my son wants to be aillustrator ..now he is learning painting as parents webot are very proud of him...and my daughter is good in dancing......so better luck in theire lives in future....

7. muzna

muzna Silver IL'ite

One thing the child has to understand that a hobby and a profession are two different things, and to make a hobby a profession , it will take as much hard work and smartness as to enter an IIT. So if the child has any view of faking it he can not do it.
    If my sons would like to go the unbeaten path they will be allowed ,but guided to acheive their goal in a responsible way.