Would you choose your baby delivery in India or US - if given a choice?Why?

Discussion in 'Pregnancy & Labor' started by coffee25, Oct 23, 2011.

1. coffee25

coffee25 Junior IL'ite

I am in a dilemma whether to plan my pregnancy and delivery in the US or in India. I am not even pregnant yet but I do need to plan this because my husabdn and me are not permanent residents of US, which means we don't have all the time in this country.

It seems like the health care system in US is awesome and the choice of epidurals,pain less delivery etc is with the mother and not the doctor. Also, India has a good health care system. From what I have heard, in India, many doctors do not administer epidurals even if the mother wants it. I"ve heard of this and many other statements. Ofocurse, I will never know which statements are 100% true.
    This makes me wonder - if I should opt for delivery in the US iself? I have been to doctors in India and my experience was always good ; however, only when I visited doctors in US, I realized how professional and 'soft' they were.

Another plus to deliver in US is , my health insurance will take care for the most part and if I expect similar luxury in India then I will have to pay thousands from my own pocket.

I'm here looking on opinions from those of you who have made such decisions/heard of women make such decisions. Any thoughts will be appreciated.

P.S.: I don't care about American citizenship for the child, so that's not a factor for me to consider birth in US. I'm only concerned about my comfort and baby's health.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2011
    1 person likes this.

2. rosenav

rosenav Silver IL'ite

My dh n me were in the same situation ...we were thinking back n forth India or States. My frnd sd it took fr ever to get baby's passport in hyd... Which we r facing with my mil right now , she was supposed to cum frm delivery n her passport did nt come till today...so my mom came to help us.

I have given birth in USA .... My son is 15mnts now , I choose states coz I had full insurance coverage , n we dint pay a cent frm our pocket, it would have being different if it was back home...you have to pay a fortune to get the same service, gosh I can't stop telling ppl the amazing service I got during my delivery especially since I had a section as well...and my dh could nt get much leave n he defo wanted to be there when my boy was arriving.

Ya we r happy abt the decession.... It worked out gr8 since my mom was they to help as well

3. archana2008

archana2008 Gold IL'ite

I gave birth to my DD in US. I just loved the service here. we have good medical insurance so no issues.
    No idea about delivery in India. In my young age i had appendicities operation in India. i still have that mark badly. but my C-section mark is almost like a thin pencil line :) and ya you can decide if you want to take epidural or not.

4. coffee25

coffee25 Junior IL'ite

Hello Ladies,

Thanks for the response to my post. I am new here, so still getting to know the names of all the users.

I am in a dilemma only because of all these great things that I have heard - the service! Almost everyone says this. I hope i'm able to plan pregnancy and delivery while in the US. I have insurance coverage too on this, which means hardly any amount would be spent towards pganancy, delivery and post-natal care.

About the appendicitis scar, I wuld think it was years ago, isn't it? So not necessarily India does things the same way even now. is this your daughter in the picture? the girl is cute.

5. smileAlways

smileAlways Gold IL'ite

Hi cofee25,

I recently delivered in US. From my experience I would suggest US. We also don't have long term plans here and was planning to go back to India for good before starting a family. But I think delivering in US is one of the best decision I had taken in my life. Apart from service here, we can take our husbands to our labor room. I really appreciate my husband's presence during the delivery. And I had few complication in my pregnancy and I got excellent care here and had a healthy baby.

6. just20

just20 Silver IL'ite

Delivering a baby in US is the best option to go for it. Services are too good. I would compare nurses over here as goddesses. They are so caring and even mothers cannot do the job better than them.

But I wouldn't suggest going for epidural as I took it for my first one (she is 5 now) still they hurt me and sour when I am tired.

Good Luck!

7. bong

bong Bronze IL'ite

Well giving birth to your baby in US is always a good choice for reasons more than one

In India medication and hospitalization is a business. doctors suggest a hell number of tests to diagnose a single disease and by the time you see the test reports you yourself can tell what is wrong with you (if any)

Moreover, no amount of money can get you the excellent service you would get in the US.. Doctors discourage epidural in India stating reasons that can not be fathomed by a sane mind..Remember that even Aishwarya Rai had to sufferer labor pains as she gave birth to her daughter.

Whether or not a parent wants the kid to have a US citizenship… having the same will not do any harm… in fact later on even if the kid grows up in India, he can simply come to the US (for work/travel/ studies) without a VISA.

Lastly not to forget that the kind of environment you can give yourself and the baby during and post pregnancy is unparalleled… beginning from pure food to less medicines (read antibiotics).. US probably has it all

However, before giving birth to a kid in the US get yourself covered. I'm not sure how soon can you conceive after the insurance... if there is a plan that covers your pregnancy from immediately the next day then nothing like it..

However, giving birth to a kid in India too has its own advantages:

Helping hands like ayah, relatives, family are available in plenty.

You will not have to wonder “what do I do now?”… in case of a new or tricky situation… as even before you ask… advice will be poured on you from all corners.

Rest assured you can easily avoid the pain of labor by opting for c-section… doctors here simply love it… as it means quick money for them.. Believe me… our family gynac herself confessed: “ I don’t want to be woken up in d middle of the night… and attend a patient who is in labor… c-section is better… both for the mom and for me!!”

8. tuliplady

tuliplady Gold IL'ite

[Choice of painless delivery, epidural, C-section: Is with the mother, even in India.

You will hear a lot of things, but ultimately it is upto you. Doctors in India are not bad, and I for one had an extremely good doctor, who left everything on me in the delivery room.

All said and done, birth in the US is a good choice. Since the father will get to cut the cord (in case of C-sect), and in India husbands are only allowed inside during normal delivery and not during C-section. Quality of delivery will also be better in the US. Of course healthcare will pay for most of it, but please consider your choices in case post-natal care will be required, and whether that will be covered in the US.

I delivered in India, and C-section at a reputed hospital did cost me a fortune, which in our case was also borne by insurance (atleast 70% of it, from both mine and husband's workplace).

9. tuliplady

tuliplady Gold IL'ite

To clarify: there is no scar anymore during c-section anymore. Mine is a pencil like scar which is hardly visible1 I do hope that you are able to deliver in the US. but in the event that does not happen, delivery in india is not like what it was decades ago. And much better healthcare exists, and delivery wards at some of the top hospitals are comparable to what one would see in the US.

10. Priya4oct

Priya4oct Gold IL'ite

Hello Coffee,

First of congrats and welcome to this wonderful parents world. I am sharing my experience. I dilevered my kid in Pune, hospital was not very hi-fi but I dilevered there as hospital ws covered in my insurance-
    1. Dr in india are also very soft spoken and caring. My Dr was very nice and was explaining everything in detail like USA.
    2. She was available 24X7 from the first day after consulataion. My DH was calling her even for a small issue.
    3. When I got admitted in hospital, staff was very supportive and soft spoken (one thing which my DH didn't like - they all were trying to convence him for C-section). Mine was c-section with reason that head is not fixed and very big ( my friend had c-section with same reason in USA as well)
    4. After birth of my baby, Pedia dept was very supportive and they toom care of my baby very nicely. In my hospital there was no provision to keep baby separatly after birth (if baby is healthy) though Some hospital have in india In my friends case (USA), dr kept baby separatly for initial 3 days and charged very heavily).
    5. I started walking after 24hour as per drs instruction and got discharged 4th day.
    6. I read a post about epidural where OP mentioned that Dr in india do not prescribe epidural. I am not sure for which city OP mentioned but in Pune Dr do this. my Dr already explained and mentioned about effects(she said it may have very minor side effects). Even my S-I-L deilevred twins with the help of epidural only in a small city.

I also had opeion to dilever baby in USA but I opted for India as I had full family support which might not be possible for me in USA.

PS- this is based on my experience and personal view.

1 person likes this.