1. Interested in Natural Skin Care Solutions?: Check Here
    Dismiss Notice

Would sunscreen lotions reduce Vitamin D intake through skin?

Discussion in 'Face & Skin Care' started by MaliniHari, Jun 30, 2014.

1. MaliniHari

MaliniHari Gold IL'ite

Dear ILs,

I live in the North east USA and I have been diagnosed with Vitamin D deficiency ( my physician told it is partly due to me not exposed to sunlight as it was a long winter). I am taking Vitamin D supplements as prescribed by my physician. I am also taking a long walk these days in the morning and in the evening to get some sunlight and thereby Vitamin D as well. However, I see that my skin is getting tanned and I have a burning sensation for a few minutes after I get back home.

My question is, if I use sunscreen lotion, would that reduce my Vitamin D intake? I am worried the usage would defeat my whole purpose of walking. Please shed some light and if you know of any good sunscreen lotions, please do suggest some. Appreciate your help in advance.

2. Aiswaria

Aiswaria New IL'ite

Hi Malu,

The use of sunscreen lotion do decrease the intake of vitamin D but it requires a good plenty amount to be applied. Hence , I would suggest you using Sunscreen with low SPF levels so that it could prevent you from sunburns and also allow you to intake Vitamin D. And if you are not satisfied with using low SPF level sunscreens, You could go for the " Cure" method. That is, you should exfoliate your skin in order to get rid of tans. For this, you could use some sugar and any oil, mix them up and apply over the area of tan just before the shower. You could use it all over your body also. You could use this alternate days. And of course, intake of oranges, egg yolk, cheese could also increase your vitamin D level. Hope you get through this mission successfully. Good luck.

Cheers,
    Aiswaria M

1 person likes this.
  3. MaliniHari

MaliniHari Gold IL'ite

That helps! Thanks a ton Aiswaria! :bowdown