Would I Be Considered This Time?

Discussion in 'Working Women' started by SGBV, Jul 19, 2017.

1. SGBV

SGBV IL Hall of Fame

I have 6+ years of working experience at ABC company. This was my first ever job in this field after completing my masters in 2005.
    Since then I was working diligently with them at their field office for 3 years. During this time, I was nominated as one of the best staff for their global awards, representing Asia.
    In 2008, I resigned my post to get an international appointment in a similar/sister agency and my bosses were very proud of my achievements back then.

In 2012, after marriage, I moved back to home and looking for jobs. When I saw a vacancy at my previous work place, I was confident that I will be recruited for thatpost. As I believed, they recruited me.
    Then I worked there for another 3 years. During this time, I proved to be a smart staff; thus climbed the career ladder so quickly. I was also favored by a lot of on-site opportunities and abroad training during this time by my bosses; which enabled me to have a better CV ultimately.
    However, things have changed after I have given birth to my second kid.

After maternity break, I had loads of trouble in keeping up my work standards (as before) due to the stress I faced at home front.
    With two young kids, depressed old mom, troubling PILs and irresponsible H (yes, he was highly irresponsible back then), I had to focus more and more at home front; hence I took my job for granted.

More sick leaves, sudden-unexpected leave on urgency, lot of carelessness in minor stuff like file recording, data entry etc..., therefore I had to fight, argue, and face disagreements with my co staff due to it.

Even then I was smart at my duty, and performed excellent standards in whatever I did there. My supervisor has always impressed with the way I worked diligently and smartly then.

Once I had a serious problem at home and my mom fussed about taking care of my kids who were 3 and 6 months old. I had to take a longer leave without properly planning it.
    That's when there was a new Chinese supervisor who had no idea about my past.
    He micromanaged everything, and made a mountain out of a mole hill by accusing me for the minor mistakes I did with database and recording.
    He accused my then supervisor and made her life stressful because of me.

I could have been apologized and sorted things out smoothly as the mistake was mine. But I was furious because I have always been taking extra miles to produce better quality work for this organization for the past 6 years, but they were accusing me for this tiny matter.
    More so, I was not used to criticism at work place before. because I've always been appreciated, praised and supported there. It was like my second home. God I was too immature then.

Blame my postpartum hormones, Stress at home front etc... I was very tearful when I confronted there foolishly.
    The next day I resigned my post. It has created a mess. He continued to accuse me for the mistakes, and made me re-do the work even after joining a different job. When I refused, he brought this issue to the management and spoiled my image there.

There was loads of hope for climbing my career ladder there. But with that boss, I saw no hope.

I joined in a different work place, and have been working here since then.
    But I miss the affection and satisfaction I had at my previous work place.
    The type of work in my previous work place is my passion. I loved it, and always stayed successful there with minimum efforts.
    Here at my present office, I work only for the salary. There is no job satisfaction.

Now that, there is a vacancy called in my previous office.
    I am very much qualified, and I can make a great come back if I apply.
    The boss who created a mess is no longer working there. But because of him, I've strained my relationship with several senior staff there, and that time my image was also damaged to some extend.
    Nothing criminal or serious issue, but some accusations like I failed to hand-over a detailed report, thus my successor had to struggle. (In fact, they could have managed it, and it happens with staff turnover).

Shall I apply?
    Would I be considered?
    Shall I initiate conversation with those old senior staff - with whom I've almost cut the ties in the past 3 yrs?
    In fact I did not confront with them. But they sided with the fact thus with the boss who went against me, and I was pissed off, and cut off the ties completely.
    Blame me.. But I was so immature then. What to do?

Last edited: Jul 19, 2017

2. blackbeauty84

blackbeauty84 IL Hall of Fame

Can you get a general feelers of what management thinks about you from a ex co-worker/friend working there? I would say that it would better to initiate contact with the management team there, find out they are ready to consider your profile and then apply for the same.
    I haven't seen a smooth exit in my workplace meaning if someone is leaving, successor always struggles. If that's the only problem, management will most likely forget it. Go for it, after all you don't have anything to lose. Sending you loads of luck.

SGBV likes this.
  3. SGBV

SGBV IL Hall of Fame

Spoke to colleagues who worked with me, but in different team about this. They have no idea about this problem at all it seems. They encouraged me to apply.
    I've sent a message asking exactly what you have suggested to my ex-colleague who is in that team now. She must have an idea for sure. But she isn't on-line so far. Let's wait.

The only problem was my exit. That was sudden, and I wasn't able to work during the last 5 days as per the regulations. I was sick, and the management did not accept it.
    They wanted me to take leave from my present work place and complete the hand-over procedure smoothly. But I could take only 2 days, as I was new here at my present work place.
    Within those 2 days, I was able to complete all the works in detail, except for the polishing. I mean, I failed to save the files in detail names with dates, but saved them all with reference. I mean, I did the work 95%, and failed 5%.
    But he accused me for that failure and my sickness at the last minute and related all that with a fight I had with him before I resigned.
    He discussed this at management meeting, and dragged me there, so that the managers asked me to complete the work no matter what.
    But then, when I left with that 5% failure, no one stopped me. I've got all my compensations, pension fund and all that eventually.
    But due to this havoc, I stopped all the contacts with that team/including management.
    Now that I feel embarrassed, and this problem is huge in my mind.

Probably they would have forgotten it completely. Specially that boss is no longer attached to the team.

4. Vaniquest

Vaniquest Silver IL'ite

Hi SGBV,

I went through a similar situation few years back. I was a diligent worker in my first company. Worked for 5 years with no issues. Unfortunately had a bad day with one of the senior staff that shook my pride and I resigned the job.

Then joined another huge company to continue the career. But had hard time adjusting to the new one due to the lack of supportive environment and comfyness that I experienced in the former employer.

As you mentioned I worked there for salary with no job satisfaction. Took nearly three years to ignite the passion for work.

But at family end I had lots of pressure with looking after my kid. Finally I had to quit the second employer and go back to former one as they had work from home option.

They did welcome me but with lesser pay and responsibilities. What I felt was I am not as prominent as I was once before. I guess the trust is violated and I can't go back to the adorable employer status which I was privileged to experience once.

In the mean time I had my second kid. More stress and pressure from household issues made me even more less involved in my work.

I could never compete with my male counterparts. Gradually I lost interest and I resigned the job for once and all.

Now I have been testing waters with entrepreneurship and I am happy I made the decision.

What I am trying to say is, if you are a valuable asset you will definitely be welcomed for second innings. Nevertheless there is no guarantee that you will restore the love for your work soon.

If I am again made to take a similar decision, I would probably continue with my second company itself.

5. SGBV

SGBV IL Hall of Fame

Thanks @Vaniquest for sharing your experience.

This is gonna be my 3rd innings as I was welcomed for my 2nd innings at the same company.
    In fact I felt that I was no longer that deligent staff member to be adored as before. That's why it took me 3+ years to reconsider this matter. Meantime, I have seen many vacancy announcements there, but never once felt that I was fit or I could bounce back to erase that black spot.

Now that I feel good about myself. Settled at family front, and it feels this is the right time to chase after my passion. If not now, I will never be able to join there again. (means too long gap, thus my compatible could be considered outdated)

6. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Why are you thinking so much? Can't you just apply? What is there to lose other than the time spent in updating CV and any interviews? Even that will be useful in some way.

Apply, and then, have some carefully phrased neutral words ready to explain the past events, if those are brought up by any interviewer in person or on phone. Don't bring them up yourself no matter how strong the desire to start with a clean slate.

As you grow older, try to be a little detached in the process of applying for jobs. Don't take no's personally and if you are employed when job-hunting don't let the "wait" get to you.

7. Shreema86

Shreema86 Platinum IL'ite

"Nothing criminal or serious issue, but some accusations like I failed to hand-over a detailed report". ... This is a standard blame game that happens in every handover , I wouldn't stress about this at all.

Personally I wouldn't go back to an ex company , because You will not get the benefit of a fresh start , you will be back in the same old atmosphere , same working style. But if this is what you want , don't let how things ended affect your decision. People have short term memories at work, in 15 days even slightly more serious mistakes are forgotten

Rihana likes this.
  8. Elsa

Elsa Gold IL'ite

Could you get in touch with the hiring manager and find out what he is looking for? Or the team members if you know any, and put a word through them? You never know, you might be taken in without any interviews if he doesnt care about what happened in the past.

9. SGBV

SGBV IL Hall of Fame

Had it been some other post/office, I would have done the same as you suggested. In fact, i am not new to this job market, and I have never think this much before I applied for any other jobs before.
    But this one is different; hence this confusion.
    That office or the work I did there was definitely more than a work for me.
    It was my passion. It gave me loads of satisfaction, confidence and more so, I identified myself, my passion and everything from there only.
    More than a work relationship, I connect so much with the work/office there.
    When I was there, I was fully work/career oriented, and I found my happiness there.
    But, after certain family commitments (specially as a new mom with an active toddler in hand) I was unable to commit as the way I did before. I felt I could not do any justice to both my work and family given my life remains unchanged. Thus, resigned.
    But now, my life has changed back to normal. I am fully ready to commit back again.
    Thus, feeling so much enthusiastic about going back.

Thanks for this. In fact, I was guilt ridden, and little embarrassed about the whole mess. But as you said, I can overcome this my carefully preparing myself.
    Of course I have a desire to start there with a clean state. But as you said, I know it is useless.
    Further, except for 2-3 senior staff, the majority has no clue about my problems there. For them, I am the same adored staff, who resigned due to family reasons.

Ya, this is what I really want.
    This vacancy notice itself made me dream about my seat, those proud days and all...
    If your words are true, I will be more than confident to face the recruitment process.

I did that last night. After almost 2+ years, I've contacted my Ex assistant staff there.
    She was too happy to hear from me. Although she did not have any clue about what was discussed about me at the management after that, she said that our Chief inquired her something about me that time.
    So, she believes that Chinese manager (that ex supervisor) must have reported something about me to this Chief.
    Now that, this chief is retired.

Further, she said that the remaining snr staff who witnessed my problems have other priorities, and they are not the people who keep grudges or past issues in mind. So, obviously for this minor stuff, they would have ignored.

Also, she encouraged me to apply, saying the office can't find many people with this unique experience which I posses.
    It is really tough to take someone fresh and train them all over again. Instead, they can hire me leaving this little black spot around my hand-over time. She also said that chinese boss was a headache for many, and almost everyone had problems with him later.

But she did mention that there was another staff (similar to my grade) who was terminated, in line with an issue related to that Chinese supervisor, had applied for another post last year. But she was not even contacted for the interview.
    So, she was confused whether the management has any policy about not recruiting the people who had troubles with the office in the past. Most likely there is nothing like that.

I know.. It is complicated. But no harm in trying.
    I am gonna try

10. poovai

poovai Platinum IL'ite

Hmmm, the rule of thumb.....don't go back to the place where you left with the strained relationship.

Unless, you have no other choice but to take this as your last resort, no need to go back to the same place again.