1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Worried mother

Discussion in 'Toddlers' started by sadwife, Aug 3, 2013.

1. Dinny

Dinny IL Hall of Fame

OP you are thinking too much....
    I dont blame you though.Every mother goes through this stage and with your kind of anxiety.
    I for one have faced exactly same situation.But now i feel i was so stupid because all the while i was constantly comparing my son with other children.He was active...learning things at his pace....but i had this constant fear what if my son doesnt turn out to be intelligent enough.
    At one stage even a paed and her findings about my son got me really tensed.My son used to hardly speak 4-5 words when he was 18months and that too not the usual "achaa....amma..tata ...bye-bye" but name of few cars.
    I slowly realised he would utter words which interested him.He resisted talking.
    And we were indirectly encouraging him by talking to him in "his language"...i got him to join a day care for few hours a day, talked to him in just one language(so that he didnt confuse words)...and soon he was talking.
    And now hes 6yrs old and very talkative.... just like me :)

So OP remove those IFs and BUTs that you have in your mind right now.
    Your baby is doing just fine.
    Take good care of him.

2. sadwife

sadwife Gold IL'ite

Hi everyone,

Thank you so much for all your valuable thoughts and kind words. I feel so much better now. I feel more energized to perform my duties and responsibilities as a mother now. :)

Will get back to you all if I need any help or inputs.
    Thanks a lot.

1 person likes this.
  3. shantana

shantana Platinum IL'ite

hi sadwife,
    glad to see a fellow country ilites here. im from s'gor and mother of two boys, 3 and half and 1 and half yrs old.
    and also glad to your tag "sadwife is a HAPPYWIFE now!! "
    as others said, dont compare your child with other children. children are learning new things every single day, so continue to spend time and teach your son.
    in our family itself, we have 5 kids in total, my 2 boys, my bil's 2 children and sil's one boy. and we make it a point not compare one with other.

1 person likes this.
  4. sadwife

sadwife Gold IL'ite

Hi shantana,

A couple of times my mum has told my son that he doesn't know anything.
    He is not walking yet. I told her normal milestone for walking is 9 - 18 months, let him walk when he is ready. Immediately she replied then so and so's son who is 6 months younger than him will walk before him. I was like so what??

More than anyone else, my mum compares him a lot with other babies and every time someone comes to our place, the first thing she would say is he is not walking yet, not talking, does not wave, does not clap..... She says my son is lazy to walk. I may be able to protect my son from others but not from her!

5. Dinny

Dinny IL Hall of Fame

Your mom's just showing her concern.But her way of doing it is definitely not right.
    Till the time you are not confident about your child ppl (including your immediate members) will keep comparing him to other kids.
    Learn to ignore those comments against your son.

6. NirmalaGoofy

NirmalaGoofy Gold IL'ite

My sister started to talk when she was 5. She never talked baby languages. She was able to form sentences when she started to talk. Don't worry too much. Each and every kid is different don't compare. As long as your kid is understanding what you are saying and paying attention and active there is nothing to worry about.

7. shantana

shantana Platinum IL'ite

tell ur mum directly u feel hurt whenever she compares ur son with other children. tell her to stop doing that in nicely manner not to hurt her feeling. sometimes, old timers are very ignorant to other people's feelings.
    my mum is the same as well, but she likes to show off her grandsons to others. like, oh ur child or grandchild havent start walking or talking? my grandson did that when he was at XX months. i will feel uneasy and embarrased, and hav told her so many times not to compare children because their development and milestones are not same.

8. sadwife

sadwife Gold IL'ite

Dinny,

More than being concerned, my mum is embarrassed that her grandson is not smart like her sister's grand children and the neighbor's grandchild.

Vaish,

He takes about 3-4 steps then crawls again. When he takes steps I clap and cheer in a way of encouraging him but I don't force him to do it. Yes I will voice out all my concern during our next visit to the Paed. Hopefully my boy walks and says few words by then.

Nirmala,

My son looks at few things like clock, car, tv when we ask him. No matter where he is when I say it's bath time he will quickly come to me and keep screaming till I take him to the bathroom, when we say lets go out he will ask me to carry him as he likes to go out. When I sing a lullaby or rhyme he will immediately come and open the books and keep turning the pages. When I say time to sleep he will sound like saying no and try getting away from me as he doesn't like to sleep. When I point something in the book he will only look at it for few seconds then keep on turning the pages or get busy with something else. But when I say pass the book to me or take the ball he doesn't seem to do it. It's like he understands some of the things we say and doesn't understand most of the things we say. So do I need to worry that he doesn't understand what we say?

Shantana,

Well I told her before and right behind my ears she whispered to my cousin that I get angry if people comment that my son is late walker, slow etc. So no point telling. Even is I tell her, she will do it at my back plus informing the rest of them I don't like such comments. So I rather don't say anything.

9. teacher

teacher Platinum IL'ite

OP,
    If I remember right your mom has a history where she engages in power struggles...isn't that so? Try not to let her pick on you thru' your child.

Based on what you write he seems to be developing age appropriate receptive language. Yes, he will engage only for a few minutes when you read a book because that is typical at that age.

As much as you keep track of his speech, continue to expose him to a wide range of vocabulary and match them with signs and gestures. This will ensure that his receptive language skills continue to increase.

Does your son approximate words...in other does he engage in baby talk? Even if he doesn't use complete words these still count towards the word list milestones. Do keep an eye on his speech-even if it is delayed, remember it is not necessarily a sign of cognitive deficits...it is important to keep track of it so that he has a means of communication to reduce frustration and to participate in social situations.

Your best bet is to talk to your paediatrician and not over analyze based on others' reactions. Your child will pick up on your anxiety...so take a deep breath, be aware but enjoy this stage of his development.

10. anika987

anika987 IL Hall of Fame

Before we start giving tips,PLEASE stop comparing ur son with others from now on and forever.
    And what is this thing about school,intelligence,medicine blah blah?he is just 14 months old!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    I feel like u might pressure ur kiddo in the long run and also ruin ur health.relax first.

secondly,talk to the pedi. he is the best bet. involve him with other kids for playing.

1 person likes this.