1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

World Cancer Day (Feb 4th) - Our Cancer Fighters - We'd like to read your stories!

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by Laks09, Feb 2, 2015.

1. Laks09

Laks09 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

As World Cancer Day is on the 4th of February, it is only fitting that we come together and think of those among us who have been touched by this monster.

@SunNaa, our very own bubbly and cute fitness enthusiast, Manali, is my inspiration. Her story had me in tears. Until I read her snippet, I had no idea about her fights with the disease. She is such an optimistic person, so full of life and enthusiasm, I seldom see her outside of the cookery and fitness forums. Her two true passions! She is a medico by profession but so down to Earth and humble. When faced with cancer after already losing her siblings to the disease, she fought and fought real hard. She is a true hero. We can all learn the spirit of true courage and determination from her.

A recent post about who is great made me ponder about the meaning of the term "great". Doesn't greatness exude from women like Manali, who even when faced with insurmountable grief and loss, battling the disease herself, is still stopping to live life to the fullest?

@SunNaa - I don't think I can give your story full justice, please stop by with your inputs.

Dear ILites,

Have you or a family member fought the disease? We would like to hear from all of you. Please share your stories here. Be an inspiration for those struggling to fight!!

9 people like this.

2. Kamalji

Kamalji IL Hall of Fame

Dear Laks,

i am a cancer survivor, and i have shared my story here. its been 3 years, and it is a second lease of life to me.

i feel the cancer patient/ survivor has to be in a positive and cheerful frame of mind. The cancer surgeon and the chemotherapy doc at Tata, told me, that the after effects of cancer are less on cheerful guys.

It so happened , that i did not lose hair during my chemo, as the doc had predicted, for he told me, u are a funny man, u are not scared of cancer, so cancer aftereffects will be scared of u, and it really happened that way. i was operated upon first, 15 days in hospital in mumbai, bladder removed, then chemo , total 6 months in mumbai for treatment.

my mom and brothers stay there, so it was like home to us. it changed the way i think, and the way i looked at death. i am fine move about on my own, no medicines now for cancer, touch wood.

my blog here is , my fight with cancer, let me see if i can get the link

Regards

kamal

13 people like this.
  3. Kamalji

Kamalji IL Hall of Fame

4. Laks09

@kamalji - Comedy when faced with cancer! Now that's something that I've never seen. No wonder you have your headful of hair intact! I read your story. It's hard to stay positive faced with such adversities. I applaud your positivity and hope you continue to stay cancer free. Please don't take any chances with your health. Health is wealth! Always stay "wealthy".

3 people like this.
  5. iyerviji

iyerviji Finest Post Winner

Re: World Cancer Day (Feb 4th) - Our Cancer Fighters - We'd like to read your stories

Dear Laks

My dad and my mother's mother suffered from Cancer . Those days there was not much treatment for Cancer. My dad had it in his mouth. He underwent Allopathic treatment, then ayurvedic treatment but suffered a lot. He was I think 60 yrs old that time. I had finished my 10th so was at home, giving tuitions, so I only used to look after him , could not see him suffer. My brother and sisters were working, so he used to tell them that I will look after and he did no.t want to troublethem.We did not have a fan at home. So I got a fan from my friend's house, but he wanted me only to fan. Cancer treatment was not so advanced during that time.

My grandmother also suffered a lot and had the opportunity to look after her. She had prayed to Lord Ganesha for my sister's marriage, that she will make 1001 kozakattai,so for me she said she wont be there and to pray for myself and her blessings are there. Her blessings I got a gem of a husband that too from he rplace. Whatever I am today is my parents and grandmother's blessings

3 people like this.
  6. Laks09

Re: World Cancer Day (Feb 4th) - Our Cancer Fighters - We'd like to read your stories

@iyerviji Aunty - Things were definitely different back then is what I am told with cancer treatment, prognosis and disease progression. I'm sorry your father had to endure what he did. I'm amazed at all we take for granted today. I don't think I've ever been in a house without a fan/gas/bathroom inside etc until the time I got married and went to DHs ancestral home. It must have been so tough for your father. And staying back after 10th grade to take care of your dad is such an amazing thing. Same with taking care of your Grandmom. I'm not sure I could have done that. I'm glad their blessings helped you find uncle and you have such an amazing bond together.

Thank you for sharing your story.

4 people like this.
  7. Saisakthi

Saisakthi IL Hall of Fame

On this day - Feb04th WORLD CANCER DAY - we pray to Guru Sayee to give strength, to all those who have had a tough battle to drive away their cancerous growth and to the ones who are still fighting their battle.

May Baba be with Brother @kamalji Sister @Sunnaa and there are two sisters here in IL for whom I have pleading Guru Sayee to come out of this struggle and yet one more sister who has survived in this fight.

:thankyou2: Sister @Laks09 for this thread, SAIRAM

6 people like this.
  8. SunNaa

SunNaa Platinum IL'ite

@Laks09 ..thank you so much for those kinds words Laks...you are too generous my friend..I can't believe it's already been a year and I am cancer free right now. I will not deny that I don't get scared when I get my scans, the fear is 10 folds more for me because of the genetic mutation..I had my first scan after all the treatment this December and when it came all clear..I cried..I cried because not because I was scared of the results...I cried because I was just happy to have fought all this and come this far..they were tears of happiness..I am thankful to my doctors who have given me this new life...

Today is world cancer day...people grow up hearing a lot of things..I actually grew up hearing only "cancer" in my family... I feel so emotional today thinking about everyone's journey...my aunts, my sister, my brother...they all fought really hard and my mom and me are still fighting.."You have cancer" is probably the worst thing one can hear in life..when you first hear it...everything looks dark and it seems like there's no light at end of the tunnel but then you gather all your strength and fight it...and fight it real hard...cancer can only do so much...ultimately it's in your hands to feel miserable or not.. I never think about my cancer for I can't let it take over my life..I faced it once and if I have to fight it again..I will do it again with utmost courage.

The most important thing that I want to say today as a cancer survivor and as someone who has seen this disease very closely is that please be aware and informed. If you are a woman, please get your pap smears and mammograms done. Do not neglect it, cancer can be cured if caught in early stages. If you have a family history of cancer, talk to a genetic counselor...doctors in India really need to know there are mutations beyond BRCA1&2. If something doesn't feel right...it probably isn't...do not neglect things.

My cancer was caught at an early stage simply because I consulted an oncologist because of my extreme family history..I am so thankful to the doctors here that they did my complete genetic testing and found out about my p53 mutation..I got all my family back in India tested for the same and while all were negative..one of my cousin sister tested positive..she is 20 and her chances of having cancer is her lifetime is 95% [yes that huge with this mutation] but I am just glad that now we know...she will be monitored and if there's something it can be treated at an early stage. I often think had we known about this mutation earlier..maybe my siblings would have been still alive..because when they were diagnosed it was too late for anything.

So please be aware and informed. The cure lies in early detection. Do your tests, get your mammograms not only for yourself but also for your loved ones. I have been on both the sides and honestly facing cancer yourself is easy...watching your loved ones suffer is way more difficult.

My love to all cancer survivors, those who fought it hard and to those who are still fighting it. I hope that someday this day becomes just February 4th.

7 people like this.
  9. SunNaa

SunNaa Platinum IL'ite

Thank you for the prayers..means so much :)

1 person likes this.
  10. Laks09

@SuNaa - Thanks for stepping in here. Thank you for pointing out that our healths are important and all those checks we do yearly cannot be skipped.

I haven't been in your situation and cannot say I know how it feels to hear such a diagnosis but I'm sure it's crushing. Despite that, you stayed positive and still are staying positive. That itself is such a huge accomplishment.

Keep staying positive!

1 person likes this.