1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Working women & Taking care of preemie babies

Discussion in 'Infants' started by AnithaPartha, Dec 15, 2009.

1. Happysoul1234

Happysoul1234 Gold IL'ite

anitha bm is the best gift you can give to rithik so it will be best for u to continue pumping as long as u can so that he can avail all the benefits. I did it for 15 months, starting with 6 pumps per day and at the end was pumping once or twice a day.

2. tikka

tikka Gold IL'ite

Here is another worker on contract, who quit because the maternity leave situation was awful (it stung even more for me, because we wrote so many articles on how women in workplace were second grade citizens). It is easy for me to say that's how it should be for everyone, but so much depends on mom's situation, her need to work and her own need for her career. So if you want to go ahead and join, here is what I would look for in your place.
    1. a pumping room
    2. pumping breaks
    3. day-care near your workplace? Or will family provide for care
    4. future opportunities to get more leave.

Pooja has more experience in pumping, but it would be ideal if you can pump for at least a year, giving expressed milk during the time of your separation. After the first year, you will be able to transition DS into nursing when you are around. Given that yours is a preemie, you may need to exclusively feed for longer.

To meet your child's need you may have to pump at least three times during your separation. Each pumping session, using a double electric pump for 15 to 20 minutes. I am not a leaker, but I have had people tell me they leaked till the first year - good nursing pads should take care of that.

3. Laks09

Laks09 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Add me to the quitters list! I quit too. Wish working moms got more flexibility. Going back into the job force after quitting was not easy, had to start from rock bottom and work my way back up again. I'm not regretting it but wish it was easier for us.
    Anitha - Try to get as much flexibility as you can possibly get. Since you are a contractor you can try to negotiate a reduced work schedule(30 hrs instead of 40 hrs). Even if you are a 30hr/week contractor you are still considered employed for that duration(better than having a break in your resume). Since you have just started work, I'm sure you are thinking of all these implications.
    Pooja seems to have done an amazing job with pumping after returning to work. I hope you can do that as well. Do check for a mother's room availability, where you can pump and also make sure you can take the 15 mins break every 3-4 hrs before you start.

Good luck, hope everything works out for you.

4. Pavarun

Pavarun Silver IL'ite

Hi Anitha,

Tough situation, hugs to you!

In order to be available for FMLA, your employer (not the bank that you consult for) should have 50 or more employees. Also you should have been with your employer for at least 1 year - I think this is the federal law. Not sure if states have differences on these.

If you are not eligible due to having less than 1 year tenure or if your employer is exempt then you may not have a choice other than to quit. I know that sucks. Are you on good terms with your emplotyer? Can you negotiate some unpaid leave with them? That seems the best thing to me.

Regarding pumping, a private room, and pumping breaks are key. For my first one, I exclusively pumped for 15 months. I was able to return in 2 months since I had family take care of my LO between parents and in-laws. I started pumping 4 times during the workday immediately after my return 2-3.5 months, then 3 times for a long time (3.5 - 7 months or so) then slowly dropped to 2X a day and finally 1 time.

Leaking depends on each person. I leaked during the first 3 months, after that not much.

For my second baby I had to supplement with formula since I had little help at home and had to take care of the first as well. Added to that I was in a more responsible position at work so could not adhere to the pumping schedule as well as I would have liked to.

Think through everything, and decide what is best.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2009
  5. AnithaPartha

AnithaPartha IL Hall of Fame

Dear Pavarun,

My only concern is pumping.. Am leaking a lot and my milk supply is more.. Nurses are wondering becoz am having a preemie and milk supply is too much for him like..

At work I dont know where I can pump milk.. There is no place like that :drowning. Only restrooms available and cant pump there.. There is a canteen where people sit and eat.. More than that only conf rooms available..

Right now my mom is feeding him thru bottles.. so slowly she can take in charge of this feeding.. but reg, pumping in office i have no clue though..

so till 3mon leaking wont stop ah? right now max i can bear till 4hrs/5hrs

6. AnithaPartha

Thanks a lot for your replies ladies.. Just thinking what all I need if I want to go back to work..

Please correct me if am wrong

Must are -
    1. Pumping room
    2. Freezer to store milk..
    3. I need to freeze milk and then carry them back to home(one question - my travel time is around 45min so wont milk get spoiled??)
    4. need to buy 2 medela pumps? (one to use at work and 1 at home??)
    5. pumping every 3-4hrs once at work(so need to inform them that i willbe busy during those hrs like).. all are males there... i feel so odd to discuss these things with them.. they will search for me.. i feel so embrassed to think how it is going to work out dear ladies..
    6. off timings flexibilty.. (during preg itself i was wrking till 8pm or sometimes even 9pm)

Last edited: Dec 16, 2009
  7. Happysoul1234

Happysoul1234 Gold IL'ite

you should seriously ask them about wfh maybe once or twice a week. and let them know that with a premie at home you will stick to a certain time schedule. anitha you cannot have your cake and eat it too... either you can have a rocking career or you can take care of rithik. unless you have a boatload of help at home to do everything for rithik, your career will have to take the backseat for awhile. I learnt this the hard way ;-)

hugs and cheers. I know being a new mom is so much work ... hugs n hugs to u!

pooja

8. Pavarun

Pavarun Silver IL'ite

1. Some kind of a private room is a must. You can try talking to the HR officer in your bank or some manager to see if you can use an empty, lockable conference room. Really all you need is an electrical outlet and a lock. I used to travel to other offices for meetings and one of our buildings does not have a lactation room. I have used conference rooms to pump. Close all blinds and lock.

2. You do not need a freezer, normal fridge will do for daily pumping. I would put all my bottles in the cooler pack along with ice pack and stick it in the fridge until ready to go home. Most offices in US has a fridge so this should be okay.

3. Again, if your milk is in the fridge all the time it will not get spoilt. I too have 45 mins to 1 hour commute times. I sometimes leave my cooling pack in the freezer until ready to leave.

4. One pump will do. I would carry my pump back and forth every day. I had the Medela PISA backpack and it looks pretty discreet.

5. I would inform your supervisor, not everyone else. Its really nobody else's business other than your supervisor.

6. This could be an issue so think about if you can handle it. You will have to have some flexibility as a new mom. Try to set a schedule and be firm and clear about times you have to leave. I learnt a whole lot about efficient time management after I had my kids :)

Last edited: Dec 17, 2009
  9. AnithaPartha

Pavarun - JUst had a talk with my manager.. It was not an official talk but reg my baby and snaps etc etc and finally I asked him about the rooms.. he asked me if am going to bring baby to office for which I said no but i need room for pumping(felt odd to tell to a male though he is my manager).. he said i need to book conf rooms but they have no locks seems.. he said i can use his room which has locks and he can stay out for 10min like.. i dont know if this is possible becoz i dont feel comfy going every few hrs and ask him to get out.. feel embarrased.. hope as a lady you can also understand me..

nextly, i asked leave till feb atleast so tht rithik wil complete his 2mon but he says i need to join work in jan 1st or 2nd week..

asked for WFH but he said lappie shortage so i cant work from home.. i have only desktop to work in off..

lot of confusions..

*Adding - My issues are

1. Travel to NY in bus & subways.. I stay in NJ
    2. No pumping rooms
    3. Work will be more
    4. Need to force me to join in Jan itself.. :(

Last edited: Dec 17, 2009
  10. AnithaPartha

Dear Pooja,

Thanks for your reply dear.. I understand what you are trying to tell..
    Let me see if I can get leave till Feb atleast..
    If that also not possible I really dont know what to do? Planning to go and see for a week and quit if not okay..

Also, bad part is no room for pumping.. I need more privacy since when pumping I dont want my mom also with me.. Hope you understood my situation..