1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Would you like to join the IL team? See open jobs!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. What can you teach someone online? Tell us here!
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If someone taught you via skype, what would you want to learn? Tell us here!
    Dismiss Notice

Working women & Taking care of preemie babies

Discussion in 'Infants' started by AnithaPartha, Dec 15, 2009.

1. AnithaPartha

AnithaPartha IL Hall of Fame

Dear Ladies,

I recently gave birth to a preemie baby.. Pls let me know how to take good care of preemies at home !!

Last edited: Dec 16, 2009

2. tikka

tikka Gold IL'ite

Re: Taking care of preemie babies

Congrats on bringing your baby home. Rithik is gonna love it there.
    Taking Your Preemie Home

covers most of it.
    We were told in the intial few days to kangaroo care as much as we want, warmly dress DS, wash hands frequently with ordinary soap, we did put a lot of hand sanitisers around the house because DS was born in peak flu season here, I was asked to do as much looking after as I can to prevent infection from others. Because DS was on combination feeds, we were asked to ensure everything was sterilised. But I see our protocols are very different. Would you believe were I to tell you our hearing test was just snapping a finger near his ears to see if DS flinched ;-).
    ARe you bfing or on combination feeds? If you are using formula see if you can get to use liquid formula as that is the only one that is sterilised, powder can carry infections/virus.
    How is it going now, how are you feeling at the end of the day. Hope things settle down quickly for you.

3. AnithaPartha

Office and Baby

Dear Ladies,

I just got an email from my manager asking if I can join back to work in Jan... As you all know I delivered preemie on Nov 28th and just he got home from NICU..

Few questions running on my mind:

1. For how many months we need to pump milk? I feel full every 4hrs and since am not Bf ing my kid am just pumping milk and feeding him thru bottles.. if I start to work any idea what I can do? MIlk oozes out when it gets ready to pump

2. Since baby is very tiny and slowly gaining wt - is it early for me to go back to work? He will be 2mon only on Jan 28th..

4. lee50

lee50 Silver IL'ite

Hi Anitha,

I feel its not a good idea to join back work that early. knowing that the baby is a preemie. Mine was a full term baby but still stayed back home till about five months.

Its heartless of your manager to call you back to work that early. I seen many preemie mothers give up their job too or consider a working from home option. Rest is left upto you, your paed can give a green signal.

5. lee50

lee50 Silver IL'ite

Double posting

6. AnithaPartha

Lee - I know.. Planning to visit ped in 2weeks to check about my work.. I asked WFH only.. But since I work for a bank they dont give WFH seems.. Durng pregnancy they allowed to work from hme sometimes.. not always..

Thinking about it.. let me know about milk supply for us

* Adding - In USA companies are so hectic.. They never give more leaves.. only way is to resign and stay wid baby only.. dh and me are planning ideas.. only if rithik gains good wt and soon if he is like a normal baby then i will join else i wont..

7. Happysoul1234

Happysoul1234 Gold IL'ite

anitha what state are you in? you get 6 weeks of paid maternity leave with a normal delivery and 8 weeks with c-section. plus you get fmla leave, which I believe is 12 weeks of job-protected unpaid leave. your manager cannot fire you at this time for any reason, and I will strongly suggest you take as much leave as you can to care for rithik, especially since flu season yet has to peak. if you are in california, you will get an additional 5 weeks of pay. so financially, it is not that bad.

8. Laks09

Laks09 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Anitha - Sticky situation. 6 weeks mat leave sucks! Don't you have the family medical leave or something like that? It is unpaid but it is a one time med leave and you can take it after your maternity leave expires.
    Check with your manager/HR about that.
    Alternatively, if you cannot WFH, you can always ask for a part-time return to work option. Will they be open to that?

*Added - Just read Pmahesa's post. I was talking about the fmla leave. Don't you have that option.

9. AnithaPartha

Dear Ladies,

Am not a full time employee.. So am not given any maternity leaves etc etc.. Am working as a contractor and I work for a bank.. So giving me 1month no pay leave itself was like a wonder for me..

Also, I joined recently and they came to knw am pregnant after joining only.. my contract is supposed to end in dec.. me & dh was thinking they will exit my contract but somehow they are asking my willing ness to join back at work in Jan..

Am thinking.. Can anybody tell me how long our breasts needs pumping.. milk oozing out and fullness will reduce??

10. lee50

lee50 Silver IL'ite

Hi Anitha,

In case you are keen on joining work then you can look for indicators - weight gain, someone from your family to take care of Rithik, LO picking up well. I know of a family with preemie and the lady had to join back work in two months, first called her MIL to take care and then her FIL came to look after the baby. From the last update I had the preemie didn't pickup too well and had frequent indigestion, the mother was on pumping schedules. I am still eager to know how did they cope.

I think atleast if you can stretch till three months it will be great. Also if the fmla leave is considered.