Working Women and Cooking Routine !!!

Discussion in 'Recipe Central' started by Laxmi1982, Feb 13, 2012.

1. Laxmi1982

Laxmi1982 Silver IL'ite

My Update-
    -I am taking print out of Malar's planner today.
    -Going to discuss with my DH at tea time.
    -going to buy vegetables accordingly.keeping the things in fridge ( going to organize my fridge as well :( so much of work........... )

2. upfsabari

upfsabari IL Hall of Fame

Thank you so much Malar.. Will make use of it.

3. ahsh

ahsh Silver IL'ite

hi malar,
    thank you for your meal planner, i am going to try accordingly,, even i am a working women with 4 year old kid really i am struggling with cooking without any proper planning,, i feel this meal planner will give me a solution.

4. malarun

malarun Gold IL'ite

Hi All,

Thanks a lot for all the encouragement.
    I never knew that my planner whould be so useful..

All the best ladies...

Regards
    Malar.

5. santhisantosh

santhisantosh Bronze IL'ite

hi laxmi,
    am not wrking women but i dont love to stay more time in kitchen ,here r some tips for fast cooking

during weekend plz find time to do
    a redgravy(onin tomato garlic ginger with salt)
    a white gravy(cashewnut,onions,amchur and salt)
    a big bowl of tadka(can be used for chutneys and curries and in dal and sambar)
    zip lock boiled and peeled potatoes for next mrng
    poweder peanuts along with drychillies and zeera use a instant mix chutney
    boiled tamarind with salt and turmeric(used in sambhar,curries and also as pulihora mix)
    make kichidi (rice,moogdal,vegs) frequently for dinner saves time to do preparations for next mrng.
    leafy veg can be quiet time taking to clean,so do it in weekends .(wrap in paper ,leaves wil stay for 3 days)

advise:
    plz dont go for takeaways or frozen foods,strech ur self for fresh home cooking for healthy family.

1 person likes this.
  6. shantisubra

shantisubra Gold IL'ite

Hi

I am a working woman living with husband, daughter and MiL.

First and foremost thing to finish quick cooking, buy a 4 burner stove if you dont have 1 already.

I chop vegetables in the previous night for following day's lunch.

Buy large qty of coriander, spring onions, onions, tomatoes, green chillies and make coriander chutney with very less water and store in the fridge. I also buy Ramdev's 3 in 1 green chutney and always store the sandwich masala.

When you soak tamarind, soak a large qty, squeeze and store in a tight bottle inside the fridge. Whenever required, you may take out the qty and use.

Buy scraped coconuts and store in the freezer in an airtight container and remove and keep it out about 1 hour before you need for grinding or dressing.

-For breakfast invariably we take Whole Meal Bread toast with green chutney, cucumber and tomato sandwich or bread toast with jam / margarine.

-For lunch, I make roti, cook rice, a subzi and a liquid side dish like sambar etc. One stove will hv rice, 1 wl have cooker, 1 will have subzi and 1 burner for roti. While all the 3 burners are busy, i start preparing the rotis and put the roti stove on. For Roti, we use the same subzi of lunch. For my daughter I make separate side dish in small qty and give for Roti.

My cooking will be finished within 1-1/2 hour max. including milk boiling, preparing beverages in the morning, praying at the altar etc.

Evening I am back by 6PM, make tea relax with snacks and start dinner by 7:30, prepare Dosa or Idli or Noodles or Uppuma or something like that and finish dinner before 9PM. Decide for the next day's by 10PM and chop veggies.

What you need to do is:

Stock the following always:
    -Herbs in plenty like coriander, tomotoes, ginger, mint, green chillies, spring onions, cucumber, lemon, onions etc.
    -Non quick perishable items like potatoes, carrots, cabbage, capsicum etc.
    -Easy cutting veggies like Brinjal, okra, pumpkins etc.
    -Buy Dosa batter if available in the store instead of grinding.
    -Prepare roti batter lasting for 2~3 days.
    -Buy scraped coconuts if available and store it.
    -Also can buy Amul Paneer and stock.
    -Keep stock of Puliogara mix, pappad or appalam, some dal powder, curd, pack of boondi etc.
    -Also soak large qty of whole beans like chole channa or black eyed peas or dry beans or rajma whenever you soak. Allow a small qty for sprouting and balance all cook in one go. Remove and use as per requirement and balance will go back to fridge after its cooled down. Any day they are handy to decide on the cooking for roti or rice and contains high protein.

So in any circumstance, if you get up late or did not find time you can finish your cooking within minutes with the ready mix and make a quick raita or chop onion / tomato and mix the cooked whole beans and paneer and finish with salad.

Hope the above helps you.

Brgds
    Shanti

Last edited: Feb 22, 2012
    3 people like this.
  7. curious28

curious28 Silver IL'ite

OOOOOOO ur planner is too good Malar... thnx a lot for sharing... I'll also take prints of the same and try to make it work.
    I'm also a working woman ... running around always :)
    thnx a lot to all u wonderful ladies... specially Laxmi for starting this thread :)
    looking fwd to apply the planner...

8. Laxmi1982

Laxmi1982 Silver IL'ite

shanti ..thanks for sharing ...
    I will definitely going to use the tips...

laxmi

9. Laxmi1982

Laxmi1982 Silver IL'ite

hey Curious,
    All working ladies need to manage the both the thing..she can not escape.. :)
    would you like to share with us ...how do you manage things in ur world?

laxmi

10. Laxmi1982

Laxmi1982 Silver IL'ite

Hi Malar,
    I have shared your planner in my office colleague..they are in same boat..

they really appreciate, it is very simple and easy to understand!!!:coffee

laxmi