1. U.S. Elementary Education : What Parents Need to Know
    Dismiss Notice

working on H-4 visa - very difficult

Discussion in 'H4 Indian Ladies' started by Abha, Mar 7, 2007.

1. Abha

Abha Bronze IL'ite

hey ladies

I'm really tired and bored of doing nothing.

I tried looking for work from home jobs on all the web portals, the ones in India and the one in U.S. with US companies, i dont think it wud be possible cos being an H-4 we are the first ones to be rejected... and i applied for jobs in India, and me staying in US is a big problem for them...

there is no way out :cry:

what should I do ?

but then i think being in this foreign land, where there are so much legalities for the minutest of things, taking any chance and being too adventurous can also land you in trouble... so better just keep urself to ur home. this feeling stays for 2 days and again i become restless to do some work...

and then i pray to god to help me find peace... as i dont want any of this to affect my relationship with my husband... and i think probably these are the testing times for me and i have to pass with flying colors...

i have poured all my feelings here

can anyone suggest me something ?

2. raginiprakash

raginiprakash Senior IL'ite

Hi!! Abha,

There are many ladies out here in IL sailing in the same boat as you are & that includes me too. I can understand what your going through.

Most home based jobs are scams & one has to tread that path cautiously. I personally feel that everything lies in our attitude. You can make up your mind to resist the thought that you are doing nothing & wasting your time.

There are so many ways to keep yourself busy through the day. You can utilize this time to cultivate hobbies. There's latent talent in all of us, but sometimes we don't get enough time to bring it to the fore front & pursue it.

If you're creative, you can try learning/trying out craft, crochet, scrap booking, etc. You can also try blogging, if that interests you. I gather from your posts that you are an avid reader. The libraries out here are excellent, you can spend a whole day out there, also you can spend time catching up on books at Borders or Barnes & Nobles along with a cup of coffee. Wow!!

Volunteering also is another option for you. If you're interested, you can take up a virtual volunteering job or you can also volunteer at the local library.

But, don't let anything affect your relationship with your husband. You're newly married, enjoy you're togetherness, travel, have fun together. The first year of marriage is truly the best. So, in short enjoy the time on your hands. You never now, this time might never come back again.

All the best!:2thumbsup:

Cheers!:)

Ragini.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2007
  3. Abha

Abha Bronze IL'ite

Hey Ragini

Thanks sooo much for such kind words and great advice...

this was really helpful... i know i have to be really strong and dont let anything affect my relationship...

thanks again !
    ~Abha

4. sunitha

sunitha Gold IL'ite

Dear Abha

Like Ragini says,everything is in the mind.We people think that if we do not work,we are fit for nothing.That is the thought that has to go out first.Ok,I have worked for almost 10 years and maybe it sounds a bit ridiculous that I am saying this.But I was in India and was working for financial reasons both before and after my marriage.Now ,I am here for the past 2 yrs. Though I have a work permit,I am not working now because I want to be there for my son.

Since my son is there,he keeps me occupied most of the time.Whenever I get free time,these days I am trying to re-develop my lost hobbies.I just completed knitting a vest for my son.Next,I am thinking of crochet,let's see.

Like Ragini said,this is a golden opportunity to cultivate some hobbies.Since you read a lot, that can help you. Frankly,I am not good at that.At the most,you will find me reading some magazines only,nothing more.

Try and cheer up.

5. Abha

Abha Bronze IL'ite

hey sunitha

thanks so much for such inspiring words

i can understand your situation completely and i really appreciate you for that, even i plan to do the same when a baby arrives in our house, i'll give all my time to him... and forget jobs and career...

thanks again and take care
    ~Abha

6. aparnakp

aparnakp New IL'ite

Hi thr!
    this is exactly wht I'm going thru' & I guess thr r many others like us

back thr in our homeland we all r so busy with our lives ....& here its like I have all the time in the world ....feels like I'm wasting away myself ... being an ambitious gal its difficult to adjust in here ...

I can understand wht u r going thru' .... juz keep looking ....something might turn up
    I'm not sure how reliable it is to work from home ...

btw whr r u frm(India as well as US) ?

try not worrying urself ....cos' it definately affects ur mood & thr's no one to blame but ur husband whn actually he is hardly at fault ... so juz try & relax ...

Regards

Aparna

7. Abha

Abha Bronze IL'ite

hi aparna

thanks for ur kind words, i'm from India but currently in US...

i understand that there is no need of worrying ourselves sick, by the thot of not working, its okeyyyy. we should learn how to utilise our time.

there are things for wich now we have all the time, so why not do, like reading and taking care of ourselves generally, i mean taking care of our skin and hair...:)

thanks again for ur reply
    take care
    ~Abha

8. harika

harika New IL'ite

hi fnds
    iam new to this site . i find intersting here . hope this will pass some of my time .
    even iam also on H4 visa . i got married in aug 2006 , at 1st when i came here i njoyed a lot but now iam really bored
    i did my btech in india . i got a very gud % aslo . really i had many hopes that i will do a gud job after my engg . but now really i became a house wife .
    i miss all my fnds , n my family too .
    i know that i cant work with this visa ,but can anyone suggets me some woring from home jobs
    thx

9. aparnakp

aparnakp New IL'ite

Hi Harika,

Welcome to the band!

U can find the consoling mails above so I'll get directly to the point!

Well firstly, depending on the duration you gonna be here, you can decide if you wanna transform ur H4 to H1, like if u gonna b here for a longer time say many years or forever thn its better to get a H1 done, & if not then you can search for the companies which are willing to take you up & sponsor the visa as well! .... But the chances of tht happening might b low taking into consideration less/no work experience.
    Still u might just apply & keep ...U never know some1 might b juz ready to do it.
    Thr r consultants also who do the visa change ....but they obviously charge u for tht ...
    Apart from all this thr r sites which ladies like us ...for eg indus, sulekha etc ....
    or else try, adapt & njoy urself to the way things r going ....alrite?
    U'll hav to decide wht suits you!

lemme know if anything works out for ya!

Wish You Luck Dear!

Regards

Aparna

keep looking

10. MeenLoch

MeenLoch Silver IL'ite

I shall join the league soon

I am a s/w engineer for 2 years in Chennai and evrything goes well, I shall be getting married this June and coming there by July.
    The thot of sitting idle is haunting me now itself :)

But just to keep me occupied I am planning to carry some books along, collecting some recipes to try etc. Also I am going to carry some music CD s to re-learn and movie CDs and DVDs to watch.
    Also I believe it ll take time for me to settle, atleast that s what everyone around says.

What still threatens me is the fact is that it is 9 months before I can start anything. I have plans of higher studies as well.
    I saw what others have written above.