1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

working mothers and children

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous in Parenting' started by savideva, Aug 6, 2007.

1. shaliniku

shaliniku Senior IL'ite

Working Moms

Bringing a child in this world is perhaps the most wonderful feeling one can experience. But the decision carries a lot of responsibility and lifelong commitment. And if the mother is a working woman then it calls for lot of change in life’s priorities and philosophy. For working women the decision to be a mother must be preceded by lot of thinking and introspection. Whether to take a break in career or not, if yes then for how long and how to manage the baby along with a job – all these should be decided earlier.

One thing is for sure. Working mothers need help and support from her partner as well as her immediate family to manage job and baby both.

2. rajnipatel

rajnipatel New IL'ite

Re: working mothers

Unless her partner is willing to cooperate it would be impossible for her to manage. She has to arrange for proper care for her baby also. If her parents or in-laws take partial responsibility then she can cope with the increased responsibility. Still she may need a good crèche, or housemaids to look over her baby.

She has to find someone really responsible and trustworthy to leave her baby with. Due to all these problems we find most of the new mothers taking a break of over one year from their career. A few are very lucky to return to work after three to six months of giving birth.

3. shaliniku

shaliniku Senior IL'ite

But most mothers agree on one thing. After having a baby their priorities of life change. For most of them the baby takes the first slot and job takes the second one. Some compromises with the type of job they do, opting for part time or more flexible ones. They all agree that balancing life after baby is very difficult.

Those who are very serious about work try to give 100% to their work. They also want to be star parents. But such heavy demand on one’s self often leaves them hurt. To be an involved mother a woman has to change the attention and time she devotes to her career.

4. AnithaPartha

AnithaPartha IL Hall of Fame

Ladies,

I just stopped by and read few posts here.. I was working till my last date of pregnancy and I had an emergency normal delivery(early water break).. Baby is preemie and just came from NICU.. he is 2weeks old.. In this situation my manager asked em to join work in Jan 1st or 2nd w itself.. Its driving me crazy since a day... I asked leave till feb and he is not happy also..

Anybody faced up such situations?? Working after kid - how is life??

5. SupSam

SupSam Senior IL'ite

I agree with SHaliniku ... yes its not easy being a working mother moreover if you are a conscious one..I AM!! and at tmes I feel its of no help but only hurts me. I have my own business and as per family responsibilities I need to work with my hubby. My DD is 3 yrs old and day by day I feel that I am facing a new challenge parenting her and balancing work and home :) ALthough I understand it goes by as time passes but still. Now as she has to move to formal school in April..I am trying to make her recognise alphabets since last 1 month but do not see much improvement :-( otherwise she has always been amongst outstanding kids in her class... but as she is growing up , she has hundreds of chattings and reasons for not sitting to revise...I at times feel its ok shes a kid and at times I feel frustrated as I know that this would create problem once she begins her formal school.

There had been many such challenges like toilet training... massaging her daily ...or giving her ample time to play with specially being available when she is in a mood to play with me...She's our life but these things have really made us not to go for a second kid as I am not feeling that I would be able to cope up with her age demands...studies...work....home and a second kid..

Parenting is a challenge but them the whole world raises kids ;-) and its fun when we remember the gone days :)

6. kiranavvari

kiranavvari Gold IL'ite

I agree that priorities in life after a child will change, and I feel it has to be!! It was we who brought them in to this world. And, if the parents/parents-in-law/spouse can understand the difficulties and provide support, it could be comfortable. But not everyone have this!! So, instead of being feeling guilty about working, just think about the quality time that we spend.

I always cook for my daughter her favorite dishes. I give the snacks for her daycare to have once she comes back from school. I give her gifts that I make for her, I do things along with her that she enjoys !! I guess all these will make kids feel happy!! at least my daughter is happy now.

7. zoee

zoee New IL'ite

Re: working mothers

hi i'm a working mom too with a 4 year old daughter,very movable daughter :spin.
    i work at home,managing my business.i haven't finish my college degree due to lack of financial support w/ my family.Before i got married i worked abroad,now that i have my own baby i choose to build my own business at home.The purpose is I see to it I can guide my daughter to her growing years.

8. priya4prabhu

priya4prabhu Silver IL'ite

I can understand the difficulties.. i see mom who do not work also dont spend quality time with kids..

Anad there are moms who spend quality time with kids... it all depends on how much work they have.. how good they manage...

nakshatra1 likes this.
  9. zoee

zoee New IL'ite

hello:)
    im also a working mom too,i worked at home.
    i have nannies to watch my 4 yr old daughter or a lady cleaning my house.
    i really admit that everyday i have a hard time.
    i woke up 3am everyday to prepare food,to clean my house,to open my store (my business),i really make sure to do this everyday.
    my husband is always not w/ us.but every time he has off duty (3 nights) that was the time i can relax.
    but im happy to be w/ my daughter.to guide her growing yrs...