1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Working mom's in India with school goers and After-school hours care

Discussion in 'Schoolgoers & Teens' started by prishen, Jan 20, 2010.

1. prishen

prishen Bronze IL'ite

Dear Asha,
    Sorry to be late..
    My first DD is also 3.7 yrs now..when is her bday? My DD is June born. She goes to a Pre school here from 9 - 4.
    You are right about hiring a nanny/ maid. It s better for a day school as I can put my second one also in the same day care.
    As for the school goes, I wish to put them in PSBB but we havent given much of a thought about this as we decided to stick the location after I get a job there. and she would be in a school close to where we stay.. I think by now the admissions would have been over in most schools in chennai? How about your DD? Have you got her admission in any regular school for LKG?

Thanks,
    Priya

2. prishen

prishen Bronze IL'ite

Dear Anu,
    It is good to hear that they offer full day care even at summer.
    Why are you worried about summe vacation.. they can keep her in day school for full day with some activities right?? Here too in the preschool, they have rhyme time, circle time, nap time and free play time for the rest of the day.

Regards,
    Priya

3. asha_karthik

asha_karthik Silver IL'ite

my DD is june born too.
    i am trying for sankara school for her as we live close to adyar. results would be out by end of feb. yes most schools have started with admission process, but there are a few that are yet to complete them. are you planning to return this academic year? good luck !

4. kavithavel

kavithavel Senior IL'ite

Priya,
    I have a full time maid at home, with a relative who supervises the maid who takes care of my kids, School they would start from June...the School van would pick and drop them back, the maid of mine would go and get them home from the pick up point.

Now I have a Q for you dear.
    you are in Dallas(texas) I can see. My DH will travel there to your place by the 1st week of march. He insists that I too join him shortly, but I do not want to stay home there, if I go with him, I would go on a H1 and not H4, my Q is
    how is child care there in Texas US or rather Dallas itself????
    How expensive is it?
    and how is the care????
    Day cares or nanies which is better???what are thier costs???
    What age do children start school there ???and how is education,timing , after school care etc...
    Sorry if it were too many Q's.

Love,
    Kavitha.

5. prishen

prishen Bronze IL'ite

Asha,
    Yes we are planning to come down by this year end. I don't want to come in the middle and waste a year and then put her in LKG but if we come next year then she can directly go for UKG. but after reading many threads about school admissions here, i am afraid if that would be difficult. So, we are in sort of confusion. We are not looking for any international schools but only cbse schools but i read here the admission process starts from late october and completes by Feb. hmmm.. But i do hear people go in the middle and get admissions.

Thanks,
    Priya

6. prishen

prishen Bronze IL'ite

Thanks Kavitha.We would have to see which option would be best based on the place and school / day care we get.

Welcome to Dallas. .:)

Coming to your Q's,
    how is child care there in Texas US or rather Dallas itself????
    We have Day care / Montessori cum day care and can hire nanny. Eknazar is a site where we can see ads for getting Indian Nanny.
    How expensive is it?
    It is all hourly basis. Live out Nanny may charge somewhere between 7 - 10$ per hr.
    and how is the care????
    I had a Nanny for my DD and she was very good.
    Day cares or nanies which is better???what are thier costs???
    I prefered Nannies for the first two years as in day cares, they are easily prone to ear infection. Now she is going to preschool.
    What age do children start school there ???and how is education,timing , after school care etc...
    Children go to public schools after they complete 5. before that only private schools like day care or montessori. Again the school timings, they can choose - it is for 3 days a week, all 5 days, - half a day, till 3.00 or extended day care till 6.30 p.m. The preschhol that you put will take care of them after the school time (3.00 p.m) under after school day care.

Let me know if you need any other info.
    Thanks
    Priya

7. kavithavel

kavithavel Senior IL'ite

Thanks a lot Priya.

Day care and montessori charges???
    Nannies charges are fine...but do you think leaving baby and the nanny alone at home would be safe???

8. prishen

prishen Bronze IL'ite

Kavitha,
    Day care and Montessori charges differ based on the days, duration of time the child is at school.

you can choose 3 days or 5 days for - half a day, school time(8.30 - 3.00), extended day care (7.30 - 6.30 p.m.)

I think it would be anywhere between $400 - $800 based on your choice. Again Day care would be slightly lesser than montessori. They too teach the kid but they dont follow the montessori type..

I prefer Nanny for the early years but I think you kids are of school going age so, putting them to school would help them a lot. (They gain leaning + day care when you are at work). Also, when you go back to India, they can join in age appropriate classes.
    Here, for preschools as for as I know, there is no van drop facility and so you need to drop them and pick them up from schools when you are coming from office.

Based on which part of dallas you are coming, you can post in the particular forum to get more details about schools in the area that you would be coming to.

Thanks,
    Priya