1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Working mom's, how and when do you teach your kids

Discussion in 'Toddlers' started by Mellow, Jul 12, 2010.

1. Mellow

Mellow New IL'ite

Hello Everybody,

I am a working mom and have a 23 months old daughter. She goes to the day care while I am at work.
    I want to know from you all how do you train/ teach you toddlers various things like colors, alphabets, numbers, shapes, etc etc.
    I have a lot of toys at home. But I don't find time to teach her anything.
    We don't have cable or any TV channels at home because we hardly have time to turn ON the TV.
    I have not brought any DVD's for her because I am not sure what kind I should be getting.
    Please advice me how do you all teach your kids all these thing to get them ready to school.

I appreaciate your help.

Thanks,
    Mellow

2. mohantina

mohantina Senior IL'ite

hi mellow,

as i am also a full time working lady, i can understand ur problem..even i don't get time to teach my daughter. she is in K.G. but till she was two she was with my MIL after i go to office & after that with my mother..she helps her in completing her homework..but intially to teach colors..when she eats gems..we used to ask her which color is this or which color u want/ count how many r there? this is how she learn colors & counting and before giving her any fruit or vegetable we taught her by asking which fruit is this?..color of the fruit. Like this as now she is in K.G. when we r travelling with her i asked her to read hoardings or numbers/alphabets written on vehicles. now most of the time she is reading what is written around her sideways.

now we don't get time as per her class requirements but she does some of her homework with my mother's help & sometimes she did by herself..and after that i check for mistakes.

this is how routine goes on....life is really tough for working moms. always wish we can also take care/spend enough time of our kids like other mothers.

3. ShilpaMa

ShilpaMa IL Hall of Fame

get magnetic colours/ shapes/ animals and put them on your fridge (if its visible from the kitchen), so when you're in the kitchen the child can play around and you can ask him/her to arrange it ... simultaneously they keep questioning.
    Get bowls of different colour and put their food in it & tell that today you're eating food in box of color X.

Have nursery rhyme CDs playing the moment you enter the house/ in car.. also get cable connection, when you're busy the child can switch to learning programs and take up a lot of things on their own.. you can screen channels if you want.
    While running around for your chores keep repeating numbers/ alphabets and ask them to repeat after you.

Keep visiting toy stores to check any new self paced learning items available for toddlers, you can get baby laptops which has instructions and rhymes, the laptop gives instructions and kids can follow it once you train them. Magnetic slates with specific shapes also keep them busy.

4. ptamil2007

ptamil2007 Gold IL'ite

I generally sing nursery rhymes with him while cooking.
    While giving him bath, we sing songs together.

At bed time, we generally say two line slokams and count 1 to 20.

I will be teaching him some thing in the evening and after my husband comes home,
    my general statement would be

Appa, Pranav knows to say A B C D.
    He then gets all excited and repeats them for my husband.

That way little by little they learn

5. BeeAmma

BeeAmma Silver IL'ite

Hi Mellow,

Like anything else, we start small and build up on it. I would say start with a 10 minute session. We should be relaxed and patient for those 10 minutes. Figure out what portion you want to cover and style. Be patient and learn from each session.

When cooking revise some previously learnt material, recite poems. IMO 30 minutes a day in the pre-kindergarten stage is pretty good.

Also you can ready stories to your child when they go to bed.

6. Mellow

Mellow New IL'ite

Hi All,

Thanks so much for your valuable reply, suggestions and advice. All is well taken and seems very useful.

Thanks
    Mellow

7. Rith

Rith IL Hall of Fame

Dear All,

I am finding time to teach my DS for some 15 minutes atleast making him write alphabets, draw something in notebook something like that before we go to bed.
    During weekends completely dedicated to him where i will teach rhymes, stories, and other oral things in a playful manner. sometimes, i use to ask questions when i am arranging his books, uniform etc., the previous night/ in weekends. Trust me.. This is fruitful to some extent