1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Working mom’s guilt – how do you deal with it?

Discussion in 'Schoolgoers & Teens' started by Godschild, May 11, 2010.

1. Godschild

Godschild Silver IL'ite

Hi Priya.

I comprehend that your one confident mom without any pangs of guilt.
    We would be happy to know how you avoid the guilt trap and use your time wisely.

2. Cindhuja

Cindhuja Gold IL'ite

So GC,

How about things in bringing up your LO.Are there helping hands from your in-laws side?

If @ all you have a plan to leave to your parents, watz the reaction among in-laws? Do they happily accept or refrain that too??

Sorry if it is too personal :hide:

3. Godschild

Godschild Silver IL'ite

Nah. Its not personal.
    My dad just retired. He's very keen on helping me with this.
    But my DH wants my MIL to take care of the LO. (Although she's not all that interested. She's taking care of SIL's kids.)
    Am sure a big fight's on the way.
    Am just not thinking about it now.
    After October will rack my brain.

4. Cindhuja

Cindhuja Gold IL'ite

Phew itz the same story all-over i suppose :rant:rant

@ times i don't understand whether these guys act like they have the best mommy or really not realized the true color :rant

Last edited: Jun 3, 2010
  5. rajalakshmigopal

rajalakshmigopal Gold IL'ite

Sorry for deviating the topic and taking up your space GC.

Cannot agree more Cindhuja:bowdown

6. Godschild

Godschild Silver IL'ite

Cindhu,

All guys are like that.
    Lets not get into trouble here.
    The site's blocked at work.
    Will add though.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2010
  7. Cindhuja

Cindhuja Gold IL'ite

Hi GC,

yes ofcourse for us too..thought of accessing it for some PM's @ home :)

RG,

You are my gal..what else can we think about them :rant..Are we kids to complain each and every silly happening and show them the real image or should we record the events or what?? Thaanga mudiyala :bonk

8. kpadmavathi

kpadmavathi New IL'ite

i dealt with it very badly i feel.

i quit lucrative bank job to be with my children.

with lots and lots of care my elder one is an iitan. now at singapore.

the younger one is CA.

after ten years ----now what?????

they have flown the nest. what about me?????

i still miss not having my bank job.
    right or wrong????? i dont know.

9. dimpleanand2002

dimpleanand2002 Junior IL'ite

u somehow made me recall my days when i started working again after a gap of 5 years and a 3 year old daughter and 2 year old son.
    i made an arrangement to stay with my in-laws but somehow they found it difficult to cater to the kids all the time.
    so, i had to enroll them in a school where day boarding was available.
    kids used to attend day boarding somedays and somedays dada dadi used to pitch in to take care.
    In the advancing years, i used to give them some coloring activity sheets from net and they used to complete it in the day time.

i used to take a lot of day offs from work and luckily my boss was also good.
    some days i used to take kids to office (that i still do) and make them understand how i work and why work is important to me and the family.
    in the spare time (even 15 minutes a day) i used to read a story book to them.
    i used to sing lullybys to them, which they still cherish.

Now, my kids are 6 and 7 year old and for last one year i am living separate from my in-laws. we live in a govt.accommodation provided by the hospital my husband works in and security is very good/tight here.
    so, both of us leave for office at 10 am and keep fruits, nuts, chapati/paratha, their favourite subzi, and some tit bits on the tables for them to eat.
    they color, play with toys, watch CDs, play computer games and of course watch tv through out the day.
    my husband come home during lunch hours between 1 to 2.30 and attend to kids and then leave around 2.30 pm.i come home around 5.30 pm.

meanwhile, we keep calling kids on the phone for emotional comfort.they are provided with the number of both of us and their dadi to talk to.

i know it is difficult to rear kids till the time they are 5 or 6 year old and specially if they are not emotionally stable. I had a very high profile job while i was living with my in-laws but when i moved to my own accommodation i chose a contractual govt job which is paying me less than one third of what i was getting earlier. but still i am satisfied that i am enjoying my family time and teaching my kids to be independent also, besides having my own life.

i myself had working parents. i feel every woman should be independent and self reliance because than your kids respect you more.

i have holidays on sat and sunday, then i indulge in my passion in designing also while my kids play with their friends. i find life very fulfilling.

one important thing that i learnt is that never ever talk negative and pitfalls of your kid, and mind u i did not say in front of him/her because u NEVER talk negative and see the miracle how your little angel turns to be so responsible over some time.
    always talk their good deeds and affermative actions. talk about their strengths even if you know the kid is not listening. positivity breeds positivity and your kid somehow cultivates more confidence in him/herself.

i wish u to have patience and find a way out. keep exploring new possibilities. there is no dearth of learning. cultivate a new hobby if u don't have because it gives u life out of that routine drudgery. enjoy yourself and know your vision and goal for yourself and your family. make the health of you and your family a priority so u don't need day offs for tending a sick one but enjoying a day together.
    happy parenting.

10. dimpleanand2002

dimpleanand2002 Junior IL'ite

take up a hobby and keep busy. even if it's with social work.network, meet people. enjoy yourself and take good care of yourself.