1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Working mom’s guilt – how do you deal with it?

Discussion in 'Schoolgoers & Teens' started by Godschild, May 11, 2010.

1. Godschild

Godschild Silver IL'ite

Aarti,

Thanks for writing in.

Am sure that will be a very painful sight for you or any mother for that matter. Till the mother reaches office she would be filled with the image of the crying child.

Do you wait till she calms down or do you pacify her and then leave??

That's nice.
    What do you do in case your DD falls ill? And are you satisfied with your IL's taking care of her?

So do you feel that quitting the job is the only way to deal with the Working Mother's guilt??

2. ansureeba

ansureeba Bronze IL'ite

@aartijadhav
    I was a working and decided to resign my job after delivery. That was one of the best decisions I have made in my life:thumbsup. My ds is 22 months old and am planning to resume work only after some time. Getting back to my career is really going to be tough I know, but I will.
    My mom was working and she used to show me Tiffin box in her bag when leaving for work. That was my check list when she goes out. If no Tiffin box in the bag means, mamma can’t go:bonk or take me too. Poor mom, she used to carry Tiffin box always even if not to office.
    Regards,
    Ansu:)

Last edited: May 20, 2010
  3. Godschild

Godschild Silver IL'ite

That's so cute and innocent :)

Good luck Ansu!!

4. premsuji

premsuji New IL'ite

Gods child,

I am not a working mom but have a friend who used to share her feelings with me.Her daughter is one and half yrs old and while coming to office her maid use to take care of her for half a day and rest of the day she spend her day in baby care.when my friend says bye to her little one she starts crying and later if the little one see her friends in the baby care she will come to normal mood and play.Again in the evening she starts looking at the door and started calling her mom in her language.

5. premsuji

premsuji New IL'ite

Instead of quiting a job try finding out a baby care near to your work location/company so that you can go and see her in your free hours(ex:lunch time) or even you can look for office with day care and try to get into flexi office timings if possible.

6. Godschild

Godschild Silver IL'ite

Zingy,

Thanks for the reply :)

That' so cute.
    Yes kids these days are really sharp and intelligent.

7. Godschild

Godschild Silver IL'ite

Thanks for the reply premsuji!!

8. ramapriya

ramapriya New IL'ite

Hi

My Opinion.

Why Guilt? Most of the women work for Economic reasons and few for Self satisfaction. At the end of the day it is good for the family.

I personally feel every working women should be confident and not get carried away with any sort of Guilt but happiness and being a part of contributing to the family.

Working women should plan their days, especially off and leave days and use it wisely with the family. Top priority should be children on off days and that is what I do, ofcourse I plan it in such a way that i keep time for myself.

So don't feel guilty and use your time wisely, would be pleased to help, let me know.

Regards.

R Priya

9. Young@heart

Young@heart Silver IL'ite

Dear Gods Child,
    I am a full time working mom of two (7 year old son and almost 3 years old daughter).

Guilty, yes but not everyday. Moreso, because working is a choice I have made. I realised in my two maternity (9 months and 10 months respectively) leaves that I am not made out to be a SAHM. I really donot have the patience to be one. Firstly, being in the government job, my timings are sort of fixed from 10-6. Secondly, staying near the office means that including commuting my timings are 9.45 - 6.15, which is a big blessing in a city like mumbai. Thirdly, having a good maid who is with me for the last 7 years (since my son was born) is a good help.

But yes, I do feel guilty when I reach home in the evening and my son's friends are done with the homework but not my son, simply because I was not home to oversee.... there is only so much a maid can do and not all.

I do feel guilty when my kids holidays are going on and I have to be in office (though i managed a three weeks leave, but the kids have a four week break - the kids are home alone with maid this week).

But overall on a routine basis, I donot feel guilty because working is a choice I have made. Ocassionally, when some days the kids get really cranky , i do.

I try to devote my full attention to the kids once I am home. Our home is a no TV home in the evenings these days - full attention on kids...

I donot think there is a win - 2 situation anywhere , anyhow!!!

Regards,
    Payal

10. Godschild

Godschild Silver IL'ite

Hi Payal,

Thanks for stepping in.

That's one cool and innovative idea to spend quality time with the kids.
    Thanks for the share.