1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Working mom’s guilt – how do you deal with it?

Discussion in 'Schoolgoers & Teens' started by Godschild, May 11, 2010.

1. Godschild

Godschild Silver IL'ite

Asha,

Thanks for giving a detailed schedule.
    Could you pls share your work timings?
    Just to analyze how you manange both work and home with ease.
    Thanks!!

2. priyadarsinik

priyadarsinik New IL'ite

@godschild

Though I am not a working mom I have given below a tip shared by one of my colleague

1) One thing she always does is once she steps into the house she gives complete attention to her daughter . she spends atleast some 15 minutes then she goes for other routine stuff however urgent it is .

2) Her daughter who is 2 years old always explores handbag when she returns home. she is used to leave some surprises in the bag for the kid :)

Last edited: May 14, 2010
  3. Godschild

Godschild Silver IL'ite

priyadarsinik,

Thanks for the wonderful tips!!

4. asha_karthik

asha_karthik Silver IL'ite

GC.. there is no fixed work timings. Trying to manage it between 10-7.. sometimes when work spills over, i do a WFH after kids are put to sleep or on weekends when DH is around. btw, no working mom get to manage work and home at ease.. not me sure. lot of stress and strain personally, and no me-time at all. am hoping for it to continue for not more than 3 more years, till my younger one turns 3-3.5. after that, problems could be different. but it wouldn't be like, if my health is down for a day, everything at home comes to a standstill. Allz fine !

5. Godschild

Godschild Silver IL'ite

Asha.

I'm sure all the stress and strain do vanish away when you spend tome with your 2 LOs.
    A big :bowdown to you for your commitment.

6. jasmine15

jasmine15 New IL'ite

Gods child,

I am working but mother-to-be. This is a nice thread which is very much useful for every mother. My mother is working woman. After I come back from school, I always will look into the street for my mother's arrival. After I see her coming in the street, I will run to her and get her bags. After coming home, I will check her bag and mostly she will have some surprise for me. She used to give enough time for me whenever I come back from hostel during my college days. She would take leave and take care of me. Always she will cook delicious and good foods for me. Everyday she will cook for my favourite only. I wish to be such a loving and caring mother to my baby.

--Jasmine

7. Godschild

Godschild Silver IL'ite

Jasmine,

That was a simple yet sweet post on how your mom took care of you.
    Glad you dint give your mom any guilt trips.

Wish you good luck with your LO as well :thumbsup

8. Godschild

Godschild Silver IL'ite

Just to list down few steps that my mom takes to avoid guilt pangs:

1) I reach home at 8 and she at 7. She makes sure the dinner's ready as soon as i return and freshen up. Then we sit and discuss what happened at work today.
    2) I remember when i was in school she used to learn my subjects along with me. During lunch/dinner she would shoot out questions at me and we would have a small quiz on the subjects learnt that day.
    3) She would also watch all my favourite programs on TV so that we could enjoy and discuss together.

These are few things. You ladies can list out more.

9. zingy

zingy Local Champion Staff Member Platinum IL'ite

:) My niece who is 1.5 years almost never cries when my sis leaves for office which she otherwise does. The secret here is my sis always says to her that I am going to office ,say bye . After 1-2 weeks niece got used to it and guess by now she knows office means she cant come . she actually happily says bye. But if my sis takes her other bags or leaves in odd time she cries and asks her to take her along.

10. aartijadhav

aartijadhav New IL'ite

I hv a 17 mths daughter, i resumed work after she was 5 mths..and trust me from that time i daily before leavign for office, i talk to her, saying i'm giong to office, will b back soon and will take you out in garden, be a good girl blah blah....BUT still she cries when she sees me going Witsend

I hate to leave her like that n go to office..wat a bad start of d day by making my child cry for me.

I have my ILs around to take care and also got a full time maid, but still my daughter doesnt like it when i step out of the house (alone, without her)
    When DH is going to office, she says bye, gives hug n all, but if we both r leaving together she cries.
    I feel realy very guilty abt that...
    But once i'm back from office, i cover up that part by taking her down in d garden, for her fav horse ride and all those merry go round ride, n once i see her enjoying n smiling...i feel refreshed again..no matter howmuch ever i felt tired n stressed after office.

I always feel like quiting the job and give whole time to my family..
    But I'm hesitant to loose that financial independence, i feel secured with that.
    Also, another big problem is, my MIL, she is good, but I dont get the freedom of managing things by my own, she always has a say to everythign I do. Hence these 2 things, keeps me to postpone my thought of taking a break from my job.

I have many a times asked a mixture of moms as in working moms + never ever worked moms + were working moms..and they all had one common suggestion for me ...DONT QUIT..NO MATTER WAT!!
    So i'm always left with double minds...WAT DO I DO???? :help