Working In Less Known Company

Discussion in 'Education & Personal Growth' started by blessed, Jul 2, 2020.

1. blessed

blessed Platinum IL'ite

Hi
    My daughter finished her Masters in a renowned school in Texas, and presently working in Texas in a small company where there are around 20 employees. She worked as an intern there last year and got to work full time and is being paid 95K annually.

But my husband and her older cousins were pestering her to start applying in multinational co. which she did and also got an offer in Bay area which is around 164K. Dh was so happy and asking her to accept the offer and move to the west, but she is not at all interested as she is extremely happy with her present co., as she says she has bonded very well with the CEO's and her boss and her performance gets noticed and appreciated which may not happen in multinationals, the offer is still open and it may take time due to this Covid situation. I would be happy if any one can give me insight in this matter because we are in India and exactly don't have any idea about the cost of living over there.

Should she stay in her present co. or switch?

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 9, 2020
    anika987 likes this.

2. EverydayBloom

EverydayBloom Gold IL'ite

Hi OP,

Do you want to consider removing keen details like Masters school name, pay/ place details? it is wide open social forum dont feel there is any need of many personal details..

sandhya2020, MalStrom and anika987 like this.
  3. netflx

netflx Gold IL'ite

She can learn a lot in a small company which may be very valuable experience. I think it is best to let her decide, this is start of her career and let her pursue her passion please.

blessed and anika987 like this.
  4. anika987

anika987 IL Hall of Fame

My child is still small but from what you said..I am actually impressed and proud of your daughter.She seems very sorted and clear.I appreciate that she chose what gives her happiness and fulfillment rather than money.As parents,am sure you guys wanted that best for her and you could be right from your point of view.Just felt what I wrote and your daughter seems clear in what she wants.All the very best to her.

5. nuss

nuss Platinum IL'ite

Dear @blessed- I would suggest not pressuring your daughter. She is an adult and mature, she can make her own decision. Her higher salary in bay area won't be too big a difference if she is currently in Texas. Bay area is expensive!
    In terms of the environment and fulfillment, she knows better. Five years ago, my husband and I declined offers from a big name university and accepted in our midsize university (still R1 but smaller) and we couldn't be happier. We liked the departments during our interview visits and fell in love with the area. Definitely one of the best decisions we have made. Many of our friends/mentors advised us to go to big name because that's what everybody does.

6. Angela123

Angela123 Gold IL'ite

When it comes to work, it is best for her to decide. Just looking at the salary, once cannot decide anything. Bay area is one of the most expensive places, competitive and rewarding at the same time, burn outs are very common.

blessed, SunPa and startinganew like this.
  7. MalStrom

MalStrom IL Hall of Fame

Don’t go simply by the salary. The Bay Area is extremely expensive and the net pay might not be all that much greater than what she is getting now. And the work hours and pressure can be extremely rigorous in big companies.
    Quality of life and job satisfaction are much more important IMO. I’m not saying one should work for free but if she likes her current job and her team and she is able to grow professionally then that is not to be discounted.
    Your daughter sounds like a level-headed young lady. Let her make her own decisions.

Thyagarajan and anika987 like this.
  8. MalStrom

MalStrom IL Hall of Fame

I agree with the PP: please edit your post to remove specific details about schools and cities.

9. ProudIndian

ProudIndian Gold IL'ite

I am working for 20 plus years in u.s. and I would say relations, happiness. Peace of mind matter much more than money, company reputation. Small companies have more scope to grow. Bay Area very expensive and 165k is not that very high for cost of living there. Let her decide what she likes. She can switch to big company later. Don’t pressurize her. Be proud for her achievements.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2020
  10. blessed

blessed Platinum IL'ite

Thank you Anika, she was independent right from the start, we gave her the liberty to choose her career as we never got this chance from our parents, my DH nor me never forced her to do anything which she was not interested, only now I am surprised why my husband is behind her to switch her job while I just left it her, because of him she is so confused now.

anika987 likes this.