Work Wear for Women : suggestions needed

Discussion in 'Working Women' started by vpriya, Mar 14, 2007.

1. vpriya

vpriya Senior IL'ite

I am slowly starting to collect work clothes, can working ladies here pls give me some tips on what to buy and what not to buy. What are the basic must haves to start with? what kind of shoes do i need?

Pls tell me where we can get good deals, what brands/stores are good and which ones are not good.

Thanks
    Priya.

2. diaryofnaidu

diaryofnaidu New IL'ite

Hi priya,

If you are attending interviews a black suit would be a must.

Black pants, white and blue colored shirts, a pair of nice black shoes are always good to have. Most companies do business casual which means you can wear a nice skirt and a top it will do. Stay away from t-shirts and too much bling.

Stores like macys, kohls, jcpenny have good stuff for decent prices. Gap is also good. Banana republic has nice collection too.

I usually go for the neutrals when picking pants. Also accessories play an important role too.

3. vpriya

vpriya Senior IL'ite

Thankyou. I have cream/beige pant and dark brown tops, but what kind of shoes do i have to buy? can the heel part be open like a slip on? or should it be totally covered? i got 1 black cut shoes type for now ,for interviews.

4. Abha

Abha Bronze IL'ite

hey vpriya

i think white, black cotton shirts (full sleeves must) are a must, a green colored cotton shirt wud also be great... also a grey colored and black colored formal trouser... u can find them in allen solly, they have very good stuff...

also u can buy sleeveless sweaters in black red or green colors, wear them over full sleeve shirts they give u a very pro look

shoes i wud recommend sarp toed medium thick heel

all the best

5. sihi

sihi Senior IL'ite

Dear Priya,

I would say any business casuals in which you are most comfortable would be apt for interviews. Like for me, I am not very comfortable in pointed shoes or heels...so it would not make sense in wearing those and feeling un-comfortable thoughout the interview. Also many of these factors will also depend on the weather conditions and the type of company you are in. Like if you are in customer service area, you might have to be completely dressed in business suits, but for software development kind of job, any business casuals would be perfect. Just make sure you don't wear any jazzy and gaudy colored shirts and tops...any neutral colored ones will look decent and nice.

Best bet would be is to ask the HR manager on what kind of policies they have...also when you go for an interview, just look around the office and you will know what kind of clothes people wear in the office and you can buy accordingly.

-Sihi

6. vpriya

vpriya Senior IL'ite

Thankyou Abha and Sihi. Will select something which i am confortable in. as it would be better to feel comfortable and confident when we go for interview. Should the top be always collared shirts or collarless top is ok? like knit tops. i am just starting to collect few now itself. sorry for asking more dbts.

7. Abha

Abha Bronze IL'ite

well priya i think, collared shirts look more professional, than collar less knit tops... in the interviews collared ones look good... wen ur in the company u can wear anything then, wear ur knit tops then, on the dress down fridays...

all the best
    ~Abha