1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Work tension and baby care

Discussion in 'Infants' started by AnithaPartha, Jan 14, 2010.

1. AnithaPartha

AnithaPartha IL Hall of Fame

Ladies,

Am a mom for a 1.5month kid.. He is a preemie and I was working till my last day of delivery. Parents are there to take care of me, dh & kid. Next month their visa is getting over and they are returning back. MIL coming and if i go for work then FIL will come else NO. Am planning to work for 3months or so and once MIL/FIL leaves am planning to tc of my baby.

Pls share your exp how to manage work tension and pumping & baby. Are you getting enough time to share with baby?

More work or unable to go home early- how to manage this situation? More pressure at work how to tackle?

Anybody facing? Let me know

2. srvaug

srvaug Senior IL'ite

Hi,
    I would suggest you on not to stress about pumping and milk and stuff. All my kids are formula fed and very healthy, its not a bad thing.
    You can buy electric pump, which you can get in about 60-70$(I recommend Medela). You can pump the milk at work. Take small breaks every couple of hours and try to pump as much as you can, it will take max about 15 min for both, because you will be pumping frequently. If you cannot able to produce enough milk always remember, don't stress about it and ruin your happy moments to enjoy with the baby.
    Keep formula at home and let your Inlaws know how to mix it properly and tell them firmly not to use any left over formula(In India people do not like to waste ). You can have all the bonding time with the baby once you come home(shut down the work switch from your brain and do not think about work).

3. AnithaPartha

AnithaPartha IL Hall of Fame

Thanks Srvuag :)
    Other ladies pls throw some light on this:thumbsup

4. lotusgirl

lotusgirl Senior IL'ite

Congrats on your baby!
    ok, i havent faced your dilema this early cause i took a break from work when my LO was born. But i can relate to feeding because we had issues there.

i have 2 heartfelt advises -
    1. Do not stress yourself about each and everything. This is the first and foremost thing.
    2. Please try and BF for maximum amount of time. My lo was given part formula from 2nd month as milk wasnt enough/LO was not sucking enough, but i wasnt happy, so i continued BF as much as possible all along. If there is a chance of BFing, then please do that. your baby being a premie really needs all the additional help he/she gets, so BM helps a long way!

tips -
    Start pumping now itself so that you can build up a reserve. You can preserve BM for upto 3 mnths in freezer. Please check internet for tips on this.
    So when your MIL is here and you must return to work, she can use this also along with the formula during the time you aer away. Also as suggested, try to pump at work, but i guess it depends a lot of practicality of storing the milk in fridge etc. So i suggest you feed the baby on demand and not rather on time schedule all the time you are home, so that your milk supply is not affected much.

Cuold i ask you something personal? How long are you planning to be at home now before going back to work for 3 months? If you have already decided on taking a break after your MIL returns back, is it possible to adjust your joining back date/ taking a break date somehow to make it less stressful for you? I do understand its not easy and there are many factors afffecting your decision. But if its only for 3 mnths that you are returning for work, how much of stressful work would be involved? I guess you would be talking to your managers regarding the break and ofcourse the reason behind it. So i guess you could say the need to go home & less stressful work too. Nowadays parenthood is not viewed in the negative light by each and every manager. I hope you have an understanding team!

Do read upon on lots of help available online for BF, BM storing etc. i do believe there is no harm in formula feeding, but we need to give a best shot at what nature has intended, so do not opt out of that option totally.

Good luck in all your decisions and take care!!

5. skalluri

skalluri Gold IL'ite

Hi Anitha,

Welcome to motherhood. Congratulations. Practically you can manage work and home and you will come know tips by yourself by your experience. dont think too much from now onwards but defenitely plan for it. Pumping at office is good idea as far as you have htat privacy and time at office and also storage facility, if you dont pump regulary the milk production will reduce, so dont take too much stress on you and try to add the formula milk in baby routine.

You will automatically adjust to new routine and will balance work and family.

One more suggestion, as you are in new mother and your body still needs some more time to come back to normal (hormones wise) you need to take rest as much as possible, moreover you have premie, it takes time to adjust to new routine, but you will get it.

Sujatha.

6. chaaral

chaaral Silver IL'ite

Hi Anitha,
    I totally understand ur situation, i am also in similar stress, my baby is 2 months and started to work, but i work from home, i thought that should be better than going out to work, but that is also hectic. due to stress i got sick, baby got sick etc, finally now i have decided i am not going to stress out, plan as much i can, take it easy and only work as much as i can. if it is too much then i am not going to worry abt my job.
    actually it is a new client for me, so i need to prove myself to them, but if you are going bck to same work, they will know about you and how good you are, so it could be little flexible. if u have made up ur mind to quit after 3 months, then u dont need to worry abt trying to keep up the job.

also there are lots of nice baby sitters out there who can take care of the baby at ur home or theirs if u think of continuing after 3 months. for my first kid i went to work after he was 1 yr old, i got a very good baby sitter for him.but too much work of packing the baby , taking them to baby sitter's place, etc.

you can also hire a nanny to help you in weekends so u can take rest and continue breast feeding. with bm ur baby is less likely to fall sick.

Good luck! As of now i am hunting for baby sitter as my mom is leaving next week.

7. Muskaan7

Muskaan7 Senior IL'ite

Hi Anitha,

Hope little Rithik is doing fine.

How far is work from home? Is it possible for you to come home during your lunch break and BF Rithik? If not, as someone else suggested, pump and store in the freezer and your inlaws can give that to him. Also try and pump during work (most of the offices now support BF and there is a room to express). As your office colleagues will know that you are a new mum, I am sure they will be very leniant with regards to the workload. At the same time, dont stress too much since you are only planning to work for three months and then stay home. Probably you can cut down your work timings? Also, dont hesitate to say NO if they ask you something which you find too stressful to do. Dont worry about what they think, they will find someone else to do it.

Since your inlaws are around, they will definitely help with the cooking. so once you come home, you can spend as much time with your baby as possible. When you are with him, try to feed him and also on weekends. Spend most of your time with him.

I had to go to work after three months but tried to spend as much time as possible with my baby after work and on weekends. Luckily my job is not too stressful plus all were very understanding at work, so it was good.