1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Work Life Balance - The Myth

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by Jenz, May 18, 2008.

1. Jenz

Jenz Bronze IL'ite

Talk of the corporate world for past some years has been "Work Life Balance". Everyone of us in corporate world also seem to be talking about it...or at least say "dreaming" about it.

What is being called as "Work Life Balance" by Corporates today, according to me is a myth!! What do these corporates boast of towards this illustrious balance???

Support ladies with Creche spaces, asking one to stay healthy with in-house gym, providing concierge services, ATM facilities etc. Through these they vouch to provide support for people by addressing their needs in-house! Fine. But is this all one wants?

Good to have such facilities in closer vicinity. But it only leaves us being in the office for long or ensures that you don't leave office even for these...but better concentrate on work.

In the real sense, Work Life Balance is all about concentrating on work for a specified amount of time and then for a different amount of time concentrating on self, families etc. How many of us are able to shut our minds from office work though we are lucky enough to leave the premises early?
    How many of us are able to enjoy a weeks' holiday without any official interruptions? How many of us are even able to plan a holiday in the first place?
    How often are we doing or talking or thinking about other things than work???? Do you talk about your hobbies? Do you do something else other than work??? Do you have friends with whom you share time regularly? and the list goes on.....

Then how can there ever be "Work life balance" no matter what the corporates promise???

In fact, I would say it is like "Thrisangu Sorgam".
    If you need to balance work & life, one has to do it on their own and this how you start towards it:

1) Try to think of some other things when you are out of office...no matter in what state you left. Everything in this world has time & can wait!!!
    May be just observe what all happens on your way back home; or listen to some music etc.

2) Stop checking official mails too often (if possible until you go to office next day) when you are at home.

3) Stop attending personal calls at work (unless it is emergency) and concentrate on work so that you are getting out early. Plan your day at work & let others know that's how you conduct your work.

4) Take time to do something new or pursue your hobby or read something etc. It could also be something like browsing IL.

5) On weekends, spend at least an hour for yourself....even if it is just applying face pack & lying on your couch. But please spend. That's your time and yours alone!

6) Take a walk alone to the nearby park or temple etc. And there's more.....

Initially there will be withdrawl symptoms like feeling nervous, left out etc. But within a short period of time, you will start to enjoy it.

Try it and enjoy the "real work life balance".

Cheers
    Jenz

2. Oviya

Oviya Silver IL'ite

Dear Jenz,

That's a nice read...

Reading itself was kind of 'work life balance'...It should be part of work. No second opinion. As time goes by people get carried away with some daily routines, missing their time to happiness to everything...So, let us all promise ourselves to take care of ourselves and thus be ideals...

3. Anandchitra

Anandchitra IL Hall of Fame

Jenz Its nice to read and well thought out to.. I can see its difficult to maintain a balance some times.. You have written very well on this subject.. keep blogin:)

4. aishu22

aishu22 Gold IL'ite

Jenz, most wanted blog!! Indeed Work life balance sounds like rocket science, but you have put it forth with realistic ideas wchich is worth a try.I come across people everyday at work with Husband and wife in differents states just because they are unable to get transferred to the same city,Out an out on night shift with bulged eyes engulfed with dark circles;working from home on weekends for the extra money/allowance;attending calls in the name of support calls at all odd hours ...i can go on and on..I have live examples at my work place who have ended up in projects which crush every cell out of the body - all these for what? Just for some extra penny and end result - scarifice all personal life& fun.End up in divorce because each one ha no tim to talk and live together and so on...

Good one Jenz!

5. Jenz

Jenz Bronze IL'ite

Dear Oviya / AnandChitra / aishu,

Thank you for your FB. Good to see people agreeing on the thoughts.
    In fact I have personally experienced this myth...and of course I have learnt the art of shutting my mind!!! That is why am able to put it across to people.

Thanks for encouraging through your comments.

Cheers
    Jenz

6. Ranganayaki

Ranganayaki New IL'ite

hey Jenz, Good topic....Work-life balance is a growing issue in today's world. Your tips are simply great.. :)

I think stuff like Yoga, dance and music can also really soothe us after a tuf day...

Ranganayaki

7. Jenz

Jenz Bronze IL'ite

Hi Ranganayaki,

Thanks for your FB. Yes sure Yoga, Dance, Sports etc. always help. But you know getting a habit of any of these is difficult...but taking an hour for ourselves and feeling good about it is easier. :)

Believe I have tried and am still trying on various things....to keep that balance!! Lol!!!!

Cheers
    Jenz

8. swtsvn

swtsvn New IL'ite

hi jenz,
    nice blog. its true that we should shut our minds about work, after coming out of the office, but it is difficult to do, and takes constant efforts to do it. but iam sure if we make it fun, it will be more easy. like listening to favourite podcasts about yoga, health, sports, or just going and joining a club for sports or swimming classes, without thinking about how to commute, how to spend time, where to buy dress, blah blah. if we start thinking, then our mind gets lazy and postpones the decisions. so anything good, we should do it now, and the rest will fall into places later

9. Jenz

Jenz Bronze IL'ite

Dear Swtsvn

Thank you for your FB & good to know that your in line with the thought :)

Yes, we should do it now & let's start ! :)

Cheers
    Jenz

10. raviveena

raviveena New IL'ite

Hi Jenz,

Thank you very much for sharing this valuable information. After a tired day of work, we should not think about work until the next day @ work. That is absolutely true, though it is hard when we have to meet deadlines!! But will keep that in mind. As you said, spending time for ourselves makes a lot of difference..

Thanks for the wonderful post.