Work After Child Birth

Discussion in 'Working Women' started by NanditaSri, Mar 3, 2018.

1. NanditaSri

NanditaSri Silver IL'ite

Hi friends,

I have recently been blessed with twin babies & on maternity break currently. I have another 1 month's break left.

My current job is extremely demanding and will make it difficult for me to take care of kids. While I have family to support, my husband & I wish to do most of the child caring

Looking for suggestions for job options in Chennai. ( Part Time/Full Time). Jobs where we can stick to the office hours & need not work beyond. Also, something that doesnt have sales/target pressure like my current role

Working moms with kids please share how you got back to work and continued to balance kids & career. Any one working in PSUs/Government jobs which allow more time to family?

Thanks in advance

2. Naari

Naari Platinum IL'ite

OP, I did get back to work part-time after DD when she was 6 months old. I worked part time ie about 6 hours per day till she was 3. Took a full time job when she was 3 but felt like she needed attention still, so went part time again until now when she is 5. Also, full time isn’t exactly 8 hours , but involves extra commute time because it’s rush hour commute + lunch time (as I would skip it in part time). So a full time job takes up your 10 hours at least if not more. So, you need to take that into account. I think she’s been doing great at this age without that extra attention. But a few diffferences here:

1. I am in the US, work for a private firm but work-life balance is mostly followed here except for busy times. In your case a government job in India might be able to ensure that for you.
    2. I have one kid , you have twins , so responsibilities duplicate but that might be compensated by the fact that you have extended family support.
    3. I have zero support from extended family , it’s just me & Dh. So, your support system seems much better, so to that extent you may be much better off.

Of course factors like field of work, commute conditions, level of stress will further impact your ability to manage your mom duties alongside. But the good news is it is POSSIBLE for sure with adjustments. Good luck !!

Archanaanchan and GeetaKashyap like this.