wore a saree which had some black color to temple on Friday

Discussion in 'Queries on Religion & Spirituality' started by swaram, Jul 10, 2010.

1. savannas

savannas Bronze IL'ite

Dear friends,
    If I could express my thoughts - I agree with that we have had to modify some customs and adapt to their daily duties and needs .. We know there are some practices are not logical and no more relevant for today, but many practices have significance which is deeper than common logic. sometimes, in our haste to find logic, we may miss finding the actual significance of the act..
    For ex. One of my friends always argues saying ''why we should light deepam in the morning / evening ? earlier, they did because during twilight times they needed source of light in puja room.. we can just turn on tubelight, why to waste oil etc in this day and age..''
    Now, we all have read chitvish ma'm's post on significance of lighting deepam.. and we understand that deepam's purpose is a much beyond just being a source of light. Those few minutes when you sit in front of God's picture, and you feel some devotion, that is like a spiritual healing medicine..And, Obviously if we could turn on a tubelight with that amount of shraddha and devotion, then its a totally different case..
    Just wanted to share this because, as a youngster with a genuine interest to follow atleast some practical traditions, I have found lot of my friends give up halfway as they dont wait to understand fully..
    Also, as someone else pointed.. just because we follow something, doesnt mean we would see the effects very soon.. however, if it has adverse effect ( no time, irritation due to pressure to follow) then, we can modify or drop some practices accordingly..
    Just my 2 cents .. others please feel free to correct me, if I am wrong..

Savi

2. DNM

DNM Silver IL'ite

I find this debate kinda moot. Beliefs, customs and rationality are complex and way too personal to be discussed objectively. One believes what one believes.

Why convince others of what one believes or not believes and why? If A wants to be traditional and follow her ancestors customs and practices, then good for her! If B wants to be modern, intelectual and do only those things that she feels makes sense, then good for her too!

A is not better than B nor is B better than A. They are different. They have different value systems and operate based on what they think is right. Unless A somehow affects B, encroaches on B's rights and freedom, generally A and B can live and move along in parallel lines.

I think OP should be able to pick which answers from above suit her better and then apply it.

3. ashakarthik

ashakarthik Silver IL'ite

hi dnm..wat is op????

4. radhikrish

radhikrish Silver IL'ite

Dear Varloo,

I understand that we do that custom, because, on that day, the groom is welcomed as Lord Mahavishnu himself, and the kanya or bride who is the griha lakshmi is been given to Maha Vishnu. The vedic mantras also say Mahavishnu swarupaya varahaya. The groom is made to sit facing east, and after washing of feet, he is given madhuparkam .(ie honey mixed with milk) . If you know, all these steps we do for puja to God for any auspicious functions, like facing the idol in east, washing or abhisekam , them offering madhuparkam etc.

But how many of the parents think like that while doing is a big question? I had not known about the custom during my marriage, or else I too would have opposed it. Later while seeing my wedding album only I saw this and obviously was furious talking about non equality in gender etc. But now, years later and more wiser and spiritually more mature, I think, I will do it for my DD's marriage, with a prayer that let the groom be like Mahavishnu himself and treat my daughter like Lakshmi. (again if at all she chooses a traditional marriage) .

5. sadwife

sadwife Gold IL'ite

Swetha, what do they mean by your parents didn't bring you up properly?
    Like didn't practice you to wake up early in the morning, read slokas, do poja, draw kolam etc?

:thumbsup:thumbsup

6. rojamalar

rojamalar Junior IL'ite

Good points. I agree with everything you have said.