1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Wondering what I should have received at wedding

Discussion in 'Married Life' started by GirlintheWorld, Sep 10, 2013.

1. GirlintheWorld

GirlintheWorld New IL'ite

Hi girls

I was just curious to know what I should have received at my wedding from my in laws side. I didn't pay a formal dowry as it was a love marriage and inter caste. Also he is was well above the age limit at 41 years old, is a graduate but has no high paying job nor business (he's a musician). His family don't own their own property. In fact I am better educated than him, have a steady job as a teacher, own my own flat independent of my parents and am a British citizen, not that really matters to me but in the eyes of society in India it does. The only thing they can say is that they are Brahmins from UP while I am a Gujarati of the Bania caste (again he nor I care about that).
    His family insisted on a tilak which we don't have in Gujarati tradition and all we gave were some clothes for several male members and a 35g gold bracelet, gold wedding ring and silver coin for my hubby. We also gave my MIL a small gold pendant and his sister a small pair of gold earrings, an 18 carat chain with pendant.
    All I got was a pair of small earrings from his sister and a few sarees. Even the gold tikka and mangal sutra I paid for as his family nor husband couldn't afford it.
    Anyway not complaining as I chose him as he was and nothing matters when he comes to London and we start our life as separate from his or my family.
    I was just curious as in Gujarati tradition the grooms side gift two gold necklace/earring sets to the bride a lighter one at the engagement and a heavier one at the wedding.
    Also another thing is that a close relative of theirs gifted me a rather large pair of gold earrings in the wedding reception which she gave in my hand, however my SIL took them away minutes later. I did mention it to my husband and the next day they gave them back to me, so just wondering if they are rightfully mine to keep or whether his family thought since I will be leaving to go back home abroad that they should keep them. Or did they think I wouldn't say anything and they can keep them anyway?

Last edited: Sep 10, 2013

2. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

35 Kg? What do you teach in your steady job ?

3. GirlintheWorld

Haha sorry meant to say 35 grammes-yeah if only teacher's were that rich!

3 people like this.
  4. Rihana

Thanks.

So you wanted to marry a man with just the shirt on his back, but are wondering what else you should have received in the wedding? :)

5. GirlintheWorld

No not at all-I was happy to receive nothing but since they insisted on tradition and a tilak (which means they expect stuff) then it should work both ways. After all I think this was a case of reverse dowry-now imagine if it were they guy who had a richer family background, his own property, settled job and residency rights abroad to boot-now do you think his family would have left mine alone! Its sheer hypocrisy and I think his family are trying to milk it from me but little do they know that I am not a naiive NRI and am Gujju afterall :)

1 person likes this.
  6. GirlintheWorld

Anyway my hubby is a diamond in the rough and we have good enterprise ambitions for when he comes here so not worried about my future-but am worried that his family will expect something from him when he's settled here. I don't think they can claim that right since they have done nothing for him and should just be relieved at least he will be looked after and settled finally and not push their luck, I always said I don't do in laws and falling in love with a penniless man with great potential in my opinion is a small price to pay when the in laws will be far far away and I can do as a I please :) I was just curious about the wedding politics in this unusual case
    as expressed in the original post

7. Rihana

Wondering about the gifts you should have received is fine, but that is theoretical. In reality, what happens is that people in India think those living abroad can afford "it". So, in gifts exchange, in wedding or during India/abroad trips, festivals, it is sort of expected that the abroad party will foot the bill.

Forget all this, and focus on missing the husband. Get on skype and tell him how much you are missing him. :) You are, right? :)

1 person likes this.
  8. sweetypi

sweetypi Platinum IL'ite

Hi OP,
    You married the man you loved, so why are you worrying about what you should have received as gifts ? It will serve no purpose but to bring up a latent sense of deprivation ... just my $0.02

1 person likes this.
  9. Metamorphic

Metamorphic Platinum IL'ite

Hey you got a Diamond in return to the 35 gms gold or whatever ... Isn't it a better exchange! :)

Many have offered much more valuables only to get grown up "boys" ...

You are fortunate .. Don't waste you time and energy on these immaterial things. Enjoy your married life.

1 person likes this.
  10. beingloved

beingloved Gold IL'ite

Just ask your husband sometime that what is the tradition on their side? If you are curious enough to know it, then just ask in b/w some casual talk.

1 person likes this.