Women's Reservation

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by Anusss, Apr 6, 2010.

1. Anusss

Anusss New IL'ite

:idea I am surprised that this thread is missing in this forum. Should it imply that women here are not bothered about reservations? I am personally against Reservation. It should be the merit that should be valued. Of course the disadvantaged in the society should be given some support. But it is not by way of Reservation.

It is said that there is no better alternative than the present Reservation System to empower those who are under-privileged under our Constitution. But I see several alternatives and strongly feel that this forum should initiate discussion on such alternatives. For example to empower women in society.....:hide:

alternative 1: Every vote polled by a women candidate will be given weightage of 1.5 or 2 or whatever deemed as necessary. If it is 1.5 then in an election in which a male candidate has secured 1500 votes will be declared elected only if a women candidate contesting him has not secured 1000 or more vote. If the preference is for 33%, equivalent weightage can be 1.33. By this scheme all parties will be encouraged to field a women candidate.

alternative 2 : If we have to empower the voter directly than to facilitate the candidates, we can say that a vote cast by a women will attract additional weightage. This is possible for our election booths have clear segregation for women and men voters by way of separate queues. It will be differently programmed voting machine by this scheme for women voters.

There are also several other alternatives possible But these two alternatives have significant benefit that will end all the evils of present Reservation schemes. It may sound that this is against 'uniform adult franchisee'. But it is not so. These schemes can also be extended to Reservation for SCs & STs. This alternative will be flexible and all the apprehension expressed by Yadav trios and Mamta didi on Reservation will have a good solution in this.

Women will also be contesting against men and winning them here. What is the use of contest between women for empowering women?:thumbsup

2. SujathaR

SujathaR Gold IL'ite

Yes I am totally with your points..

Why should we girls satisfy with the 33% share? We can achieve more than that na..

Don't limit to 33%..

Last edited: Apr 7, 2010
  3. VIJIAN

VIJIAN New IL'ite

A very good alternative

Hi Anussssss,

I see many advantage in it. If weightage is given to us as 1.5, we can keep demanding more and more like 2.0 or 10 or even 100 or more till we achieve equal footing as women. Her merit is being honored. Again we have scope for gaining a scale to measure backwardness.

Why is not our people not considering this?

4. VIJIAN

VIJIAN New IL'ite

Blinking at their stupidity

Most of the time the common sense things are not a common place thing. This idea is a simple common sense. People refuse to digest this fact and therefore are scratching their heads to post something adverse about this. The number of response is less for none so far has managed to find anything to say against it!!

5. madras43

madras43 New IL'ite

IMHO all forms of reservation should be scrapped. Reservation discourages merit. One of the main reason the private sector in India is doing so well is because there is no reservation, mainly (I would not say only) merit and skill.

Coming to women's quota and empowerment, I would like to remind the audience here that we had a very powerful woman PM, had and currently have several powerful women CMs, current President of India and Congress party president, several CEOs, etc. So women continues to play an important role in India. I believe women in India have equal rights and empowered today, they just have to come out of their closet and not be so insecured.

6. bhuvani1

bhuvani1 New IL'ite

hi
    i started the a thread supporting the bill when it was passed. althogh i agree with the point there is no need for reservaton.centuries of discrimination in every possible way cannot be wished away. so i think this step is needed.

7. SelahJadenCald

SelahJadenCald New IL'ite

The Women's Reservation Bill has been a political raw nerve for nearly a decade now. It has always triggered heated debates in Parliament and outside.

8. VIJIAN

VIJIAN New IL'ite

What is suggested here is not at all Reservation. It is a viable and healthy alternative to it. Though Reservation is bad, the explicitly stated objectives for it are not bad. This should be taken as suggestion to attain such objectives.

It is only myth to feel that Public sectors in India are doing well. Public Sector are the most corrupt (IPL!!) of sector and the reservation followed in it do not have standard norms. Every public sector companies have a community preference and this community root cannot be removed from the fabric of India "

Last edited: Apr 19, 2010
  9. VIJIAN

VIJIAN New IL'ite

The question is as to why they are not debating the other possible alternatives? Today all the parties are staging regularly some Drama with this bill. Intimately a true Congress women like Madras 43 will say that her party ensures everything for women even without Reservation. All the other parties also have such double face.

10. renvem

renvem Senior IL'ite

well....i am all in for this bill and all various alternatives

the idea is to empower women...and i think we should be all for it....whatever be the means..

women has been one section of the society which has always been oppressed and dominated over....it's beyond all castes and creed ....whatever be the cast...women have to find a way to come and play a part in active politics...

it's good for the overall balance of society...to lessen all the prevalent corruption..

reservation and terms like these are all created by men to find a way to come forward by comparatively easier means....and one sect that needs it the most is 'WOMEN'

we should set standards on the qualification of these women who can enter politics....say these must be post grads with an exp of 10 yrs and above

i strongly believe we'll evolve as a society if more women come to the power...the policies will be well balanced as women do think differently