1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

women empowerment overrated?

Discussion in 'Married Life' started by CoolIndianGirl, Mar 10, 2015.

1. CoolIndianGirl

CoolIndianGirl Bronze IL'ite

2. nemesis

nemesis Platinum IL'ite

The first case is of women empowerment without responsibility.

The second is the result of a raucous Indian media.

God bless you @CoolIndianGirl.. may your tribe increase.

3. CrayoNess

CrayoNess Platinum IL'ite

Neither one had nothing to do with women empowerment. The first one was about some woman who misused the law and the man not able to handle the situation. Maybe partly also with a justice system not working properly.

The second one was about discrimination and hopefully this german lady gets repriminded and do not repeat her actions. You cannot ever generalize like that, criterias for internships, immigration visas etc cannot be based on what some individuals from some groups have done.

3 people like this.
  4. guesshoo

guesshoo IL Hall of Fame

Neither of these news items have anything to do with women empowerment.

The first case is one where the woman has been harassing the family. And the guy's decision, though tragic, is utterly stupid. the problem is clearly not women's empowerment - would you ban the Internet because it provides a platform for deviant paedophiles to swap sickening images?

The second case is one of prejudice. again nothing to do with women's empowerment.

4 people like this.
  5. littl

littl Platinum IL'ite

No need to question .. I feel both men and women are 50/50 in every thing. But still all differentiate.

I think the Women empowerment issue Is like reservation concept for minority in our country... Eventhoug people are equal now still we couldn't get rid of the reservation virus likewise now men & women are 50/50 in all aspects still this type of issues continues.

6. RedRuby

RedRuby Platinum IL'ite

I agree with previous posters just wanted to add that I never came across such a statement in germany and i beliefe its a crime, the student should have shown this letter to the police or some union or the principal of the univercity.. to be honest i would have forwarded it streight to several important people in that university to make her pay for such brainless talk.

7. butterflyice

butterflyice Local Champion Staff Member Platinum IL'ite

I don't see women empowerment or its lack in both the examples.

The first is a greedy human being exploiting poor hapless people.

The second is a blatant case of stereotyping and discrimination.

1 person likes this.
  8. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

The problem is not women's empowerment, but how the lawmakers went about implementing it with one-sided laws with not much attention to the law getting misused.

"Can a woman do this really?" Yes. Why is that so unimaginable?

9. Akanksha1982

Akanksha1982 IL Hall of Fame

Every law gets misused by someone or the other. So yes there will be misuse of this law as well but what is the percentage? The law gives a woman a mechanism to regain her life and dignity as most of the times it is just the woman against in-laws and the parents also not capable of providing support. Unfortunately, Supreme Court has already diluted the law requiring a police inquiry and judge order for arrest in case or harassment instead of police taking direct action. How can a woman who is dependent and harassed get a good lawyer to get a judge ruling in her favor while the in-laws will fight tooth and nail to avoid the judgement and will further harass the woman. There is no immediate arrest so there is no social stigma associated as it was before.

2 people like this.
  10. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Every law can get misused, yes, but problem is more acute when the law favors one gender or one group. In this case, the laws are in place to take care of cases harassment of the DIL. There are no laws in place to deal with harassment or abuse of in-laws by the DIL.